Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many lbs did you lose your first month?

I'm going to a say what I ALWAYS say in these threads when a pre op asks the ol' "How much weight did you lose in XX amount of time?":

The answers will vary wildly depending on age, gender, starting weight, activity levels, medications, underlying illnesses, whether you're a revision etc.

The older you are, the slower the losses.

The less you have to lose, the slower your losses.

Men lose much faster than women (and we hate them for it).

Revisions lose slower as a rule.

Obviously someone who is limited with activitiy may lose slower.

That being said, once you're post op, try not to get into the trap of comparison. It is a waste of good energy that can be used elsewhere and is counter productive to your goals. People have a tendency to have VERY unrealistic weight loss expectations with these surgeries for some reason.

My answer? 17 pounds the first month.

I'm going to a say what I ALWAYS say in these threads when a pre op asks the ol' "How much weight did you lose in XX amount of time?":

The answers will vary wildly depending on age, gender, starting weight, activity levels, medications, underlying illnesses, whether you're a revision etc.

The older you are, the slower the losses.

The less you have to lose, the slower your losses.

Men lose much faster than women (and we hate them for it).

Revisions lose slower as a rule.

Obviously someone who is limited with activitiy may lose slower.

That being said, once you're post op, try not to get into the trap of comparison. It is a waste of good energy that can be used elsewhere and is counter productive to your goals. People have a tendency to have VERY unrealistic weight loss expectations with these surgeries for some reason.

My answer? 17 pounds the first month.

Very well said, thank you! ???? Agreed!

Sent from my LG-K550 using the BariatricPal App

I'm 33 years old, 5' tall, and weighing in at 220.

We submitted to insurance just waiting on my dates.

Our stats are similar. I'm 31, 5'0" & 216 lbs. my surgery is 2/13/17. I'll let you know if I could find this post again.

Height 5'0"

Weight for consultation: 216 lbs.

Pre-op Weight: Unknown until January 20th.

My profile picture is not me. It's my "FitSpiration" body.

Our stats are similar. I'm 31, 5'0" & 216 lbs. my surgery is 2/13/17. I'll let you know if I could find this post again.

Height 5'0"

Weight for consultation: 216 lbs.

Pre-op Weight: Unknown until January 20th.

My profile picture is not me. It's my "FitSpiration" body.

Awesome thank you! Good luck! Hope everything goes well!

I had the gastric sleeve on December 10 I weighed in at 241 now I weigh 219.4 so I'm December I lost 16 pounds I was 299 in February . So when I started this whole process looking into it and everything and decided I wanted the surgery and wanted to start losing weight I've lost 79 pounds

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by anniecorda

I had the gastric sleeve on December 10 I weighed in at 241 now I weigh 219.4 so I'm December I lost 16 pounds I was 299 in February . So when I started this whole process looking into it and everything and decided I wanted the surgery and wanted to start losing weight I've lost 79 pounds

Wow, that's amazing! Good for you!

I'm not sure what I lost in the first whole month. But I can definitely tell you that I lost 21 pounds in the first 2 weeks. My guess is that most of it was Water, lol.

I lost 24 lbs first month... 5'6, starting weight 242 lbs ... surgery day weight 219 lbs... current weight 191.2 lbs . It has been a journey however. Hoping to lose my lady 42 lbs by march or April

Wow amazing. Great results everyone! I was originally going to only take a week off from work. But not I'm considering doing 4-6 weeks to make sure I have the right mindset and am more myself. This is exciting to me because I'll go back to work a new person. My avg weight most of my adult life had been at the 180s then I had two more babies the last 3 years (2014 & 2015). That's when I went up past the 200s. I then learned about the sleeve and started to eat things that I knew I would not be able to enjoy after surgery and went overboard which is why I'm here at 220. I was around the 200-210 when I started this journey.

Wow, that's amazing! Good for you!

thank you

I'm 35, 5'2 and 220lb. I had my consult on tue. My doc makes you go through all the NUT counciling, psych eval and everything your insurance requires before you get the consult. I am hoping they have already submitted my stuff to the ins. They told me to plan on anywhere from 3 to 5 weeks. I'm so anxious! What surgery are you having? I'm having the RNY.

Sent from my SM-G930V using the BariatricPal App