Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 Weeks Post Op...What meats to try? Recipes? Ideas?

I am 3 weeks out and my surgeon wants me to eat more solid foods, like meats. So far I have tried chicken (out of can) which is kindof tough and hard to swallow. Baked fish I tried, which was a little easier going down.

What kind of meats/and how did you cook them when first starting out?

That should be it as far as meat is concerned. Way way to early for you to be trying tougher strands of Protein at this point. It should be soft chicken and soft tuna. Stay the hell away from beef/pork/veil for now. As for other Protein sources that you can try right now, maybe peanuts (nuts in general) quinoa is a good source of protein, and eggs. Soft scrambled or boiled eggs you should be able to consume right now.

But like what other would say here, follow up with your surgeon and nutritionist and go with their recommendations first and foremost.

That should be it as far as meat is concerned. Way way to early for you to be trying tougher strands of Protein at this point. It should be soft chicken and soft tuna. Stay the hell away from beef/pork/veil for now. As for other Protein sources that you can try right now, maybe peanuts (nuts in general) quinoa is a good source of protein, and eggs. Soft scrambled or boiled eggs you should be able to consume right now.

But like what other would say here, follow up with your surgeon and nutritionist and go with their recommendations first and foremost.

I wasn't allowed nuts until well after I was allowed solid foods. I wasn't allowed anything "crunchy" until 3 months post-op, which included nuts.

As fot the OP, try shredded chicken cooked in a slow cooker so it's super soft and just falling apart. That and tuna were the only meats I tried at all really until I was on to solid foods.

I don't like tuna, so it looks like I am stuck with chicken a while. Thanks for the advice of putting it in a slow cooker, it is hard to chew and dry out of the cans!

I don't like tuna, so it looks like I am stuck with chicken a while. Thanks for the advice of putting it in a slow cooker, it is hard to chew and dry out of the cans!

Depending on what spice level you can tolerate, you can actually make it in some pretty yummy sauces in the slow cooker so it will be very moist and easy to eat.

I am 3 weeks out and my surgeon wants me to eat more solid foods, like meats. So far I have tried chicken (out of can) which is kindof tough and hard to swallow. Baked fish I tried, which was a little easier going down.

I have not had surgery yet, however, I think deli meat slice very thin such as turkey, roast beef, etc. Not greasy, fatty, etc. Easy to chew to bits. Not sure about cheese!

????sonkat5355????

Plan allowed deli turkey also. Get an insta pot. I swear it was made for WLS people. Throw a couple chicken breast in a cup of broth and in like 8 minutes you will have the juiciest moist chicken you have ever ate.

My surgeon allowed beef and pork at that stage as long as it was "wet cooked". I would suggest 1) check if your surgeon would allow stewed red meat and if he's says yes, then 2) get a very small Crock-Pot. I cook beef and pork, cut into 2" in or so chunks, in broth with aromatics. When they are fork tender I shred them and add back to the broth.

HW 385 SW 359 CW 305 Sleeved 10/5/16

I would advise that you stay away from canned chicken. I find chicken specifically needs to be very soft and preferably with a sauce, for me to be able to eat it. If you cook for more than one person, make a whole chicken. Clean then rub with vinegar and salt, add lemon slices and one stick cinnamon, leave to drain in a colander in the fridge for one hour. Discard lemon and cinnamon, make a rub of any spices that you like (1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp cardamom, 1.5 tsp salt, 1 tsp black pepper, 1 tsp allspice ) rub the spices all over the chicken and add 1-2 bay leaves inside the chicken. Prepare a pan, cover with aluminum foil, add olive oil and some yoghurt to the chicken, place in the foil, add some chicken stock with a little of the rub spices, seal the chicken and wrap in another piece of foil, make sure the chicken is completely sealed, bake in lower third of oven at 350 F for 3 hours. Will be extremely tender, tasty and can be eaten as is, or shredded and kept in portions in the freezer. You can then use the shredded chicken in any recipe (sandwiches, Pasta, baked in Tomato sauce with veggies etc)

Sent from my SM-G900FD using the BariatricPal App

Edited by linah

my program allowed low sodium deli meats like turkey just not highly processed fatty ones like bologna or salami.

For the OP - is it just tuna you don't like? what about salmon? the pouches of salmon are pretty moist. other fish like tilapia baked on a foil pouch to keep it moist.

I have not had surgery yet, however, I think deli meat slice very thin such as turkey, roast beef, etc. Not greasy, fatty, etc. Easy to chew to bits. Not sure about cheese!

sonkat5355

Salmon, tuna and chicken are my go to meat.

I have a really good crockpot chicken dish that I love. The chicken is tender and not dry.

4 chicken breast

2/3 c apple sauce(or more to your taste. I use Santa Cruz Organic brand has no added sugar)

2/3 c sugar free BBQ Sauce (or more to your taste. I use Guy's Award Winning sugar free BBQ Sauce, Original).

Throw it all in a crockpot and cook on low for 6-8 hours. This will last me a long time if I don't share with the kids. Lol. But they love it and I hardly have enough for lunches for the week.

You could also cut up the chicken and mix all ingredients before you cook it and divide into the portions your allowed to have (I have 2 and 4 ounce storage containers) and freeze them until you are ready to cook.