Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

255 Starting Weight ?

Hi,

My name's Jerry. I live in NY. My wife and I are both getting sleeved. My wife's procedure is this Friday and mine is on Feb.10th.

My current weight is 255 and I'm 6'0". I have many health problems which is why my insurance is covering it. I have high blood pressure, High cholesterol, sleep apnea and chronic back pain. My doctor said it doesn't help that I'm carrying around a 75 lb backpack lol

Anyone else here start out at a relatively "low" weight ? Did it affect how fast you lost the weight ? any problems with loose skin etc ?

Take care

Hi - my BMI was 35.5 so I was barely eligible. It was actually kind of hard because I had to show some weight loss over the 6 month period of doctor supervised "weight loss", but not go below the threshhold BMI.

Anyway - this Friday will be one month since I started pre-op diet, and will be 2 weeks post op. I've lost 22 pounds. That's almost 10% of my body weight. I know it will slow down as time goes on.

Oh - and you are a guy so you'll probably drop weight a little quicker. Good luck.

When I started the pre-stages of WLS (August 2016), I had a BMI of 37. During the pre surgery and pre-op liquid diet, I dropped 27 lbs, placing my BMI at 33 on the day of surgery. Yes, weight loss is slower when you start at a lighter weight. My surgery was Nov 1st. Since that day, I've lost 30 lbs, with a combined total of 57 lbs. I now only lose 1-2 lbs a week, if I'm lucky, and I stick to my program very strictly. I have hit 3 different stalls since surgery and I'm only 9 weeks out. I only want to lose about 25-30 more lbs so as long as I'm going down, I'm happy.

I started at 252 with a BMI of 39.5 (much shorter than you). I'm about 19 months post-op, and I guess what I say is don't sweat it. I was at goal at 15 months and 10 pounds under a bit after that. Been maintaining for a good four months now. I can pretty much eat what I want but I avoid bread as much as possible (and still focus on Protein first). You totally obsess the first year (at least I did and many of the people that post here did as well), but if you are smart it comes off. I hit a rough patch between months 9-12 but easily got back on track. It is really becoming the new normal, but I still can struggle if I get stressed because my good buddy food can't ease me through it like it used to be able to.

Thanks for all the great responses, everyone !! My wife is now around 2 week post op and doing great.

My time is rapidly approaching. I'm equally nervous and excited. Can't wait to cross the threshold.

I'll keep you updated. Please keep in touch as well.

I am happy I found this post. I am 39, 5'10 and 257. My BMI is under 40 also, but I have high blood pressure and fatty liver apparently. I am still waiting or insurance approval, so I don't have my date yet. I'm just ready to get it over with and get started on my new lifestyle.

Good luck on your surgery next week and keep us posted about your progress!

43, 5'11, and 275ish (BMI 38+) w/extreme severe apnea. Insurance is a go, 1st meeting w/surgeon is Mar15th to start my plan, then it's ON like Donkey Kong.

I just wanna ride rollercoasters again. Oh... and live longer and stuff.

Now a little over a month out and this morning I weighed in at 218 lbs. My sleep apnea's gone and my blood pressure has normalized. Everyday is a new learning experience but it's so exiting to have all this new found energy. So happy I had the procedure !!!

Hi glad I found this. I am having band to sleeve conversion. I'm also 6 ft. Was Banded in 2008 at 300lbs and was considered to be a "light weight". Band has helped but some issues, I'm now about 250 and getting sleeved. At a lower weight don't have the desperation as before I'll be 60 this year need to get down as I'll eventually may need knee replacement. It is different when your not extremely heavy for ppl to understand. But for me concerned about gaining back if band is removed.

I am getting my Gasrtic Sleeve on Thursday. I have done the up and down, was 265 at 5'11" at one point, but via low carb was able to get down in the 210 range. Went back up to the 230s-240s and started hitting the gym like crazy and buying lots of "supplements" to help. Gained muscle and was losing weight until I tore my L4/L5 disk. After multiple spinal injections followed by reinjuring during workouts I became way less motivated and more sedentary. Also, life stressors kicked up big time and I went from low 200s back up to the 240 mark. I am around the 35.5% BMI with sleep apnea and qualified. I know it won't be easy, but I have decided to take this route and the full journey starts on Thr. I see lots of transformations from guys in the high 200s to 300s hitting goal weights that I am aiming for and hopeful I can do the same.

Edited by natebox2013

My surgery day weight was right around 270. The first couple months (2-3) the weight loss seemed great! Now I have slowed down to where I am hardly losing (5 lbs in last month... maybe) at all. Trying to not sweat the stalls an stay focused on my goal. Not sure if this is helpful though since all of us are different!

I’m 289 with a BMI of 39 so my question is since surgery and weight loss do you guys have loose skin since you all started at fairly low weights

On 2/16/2018 at 8:05 PM, Mrambition30 said:

I’m 289 with a BMI of 39 so my question is since surgery and weight loss do you guys have loose skin since you all started at fairly low weights

Yessir! It's not extreme, but I have a nice bit of a belly flap and my arms and legs are kinda hangin loose. I really should be hitting the gym a bit more... ahem or period... been sticking mainly to staying active and not eating junk. I think it's slightly tone-able but it'll probably be a few years before it snaps back (if it snaps back). Sure, we're starting at a lower weight... but it's still gonna be about 100lbs+ down. That's no joke!! There was a lot of stuff in there. Lol.

Best way to hide it... compression shirts. They rock!!