Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

WLS is the easy way out

Now that I think about it, I was taking the easy way out by controlling my high blood pressure with medication. Now I have done it the hard way by losing weight. Excellent.

Love it littlebill!!!

This one drives me CRAZY. I bet hundreds if not thousands of people DIE every year because the social stigma against WLS deterred them from getting life-saving surgery.

First of all, we all know there is nothing "easy" about WLS. It weeks/months of misery and recovery and takes a lifetime of commitment and hard work.

Second of all, even if WLS was "easier" than doing it the "hard way", why is that a bad thing? As a society, don't we strive for efficiency? They are always coming up with ways of making every aspect of life quicker and easier. So why is "easy" bad?

Thirdly, it really seems to be a double-standard when it comes to WLS versus other medically necessary surgery. You never hear anyone saying that getting a knee replacement is the "easy way out". "They should just walk it off and fight through the pain." So why is getting surgery to correct other medical issues okay, but WLS is not?

Exactly! When I was watching it I was hoping there wasn't somewhere out there thinking of WLS and then heard that and changed their mind. It is definitely frustrating the stigma WLS has, I don't see why it is a problem someone wants to get healthy. We as a society should be commending them and encouraging about it. We're so Obesed as Americans and there is a way to fix that, but because of the stigma around surgery we figure surgery isn't a viable option when in fact it is! So sad people think that way, and don't do research.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Just like people who fight over natural child birth vs. an epidural. Whatever - at the end you still have a baby. Other than that, it should be what works for the person.

I actually didn't have the surgery to lose weight. I can do that without surgery. What I have been unable to do in the past 15 years is KEEP IT OFF. When I tell people that, anyone who has ever dieted understands that struggle.

BUT, I do think it is a disservice to pitch WLS as a magic bullet, miracle cure. I hope doctors educate people that this is not the case because there is the same hard work to lose the weight as if you didn't have the surgery.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using the BariatricPal App

Second of all, even if WLS was "easier" than doing it the "hard way", why is that a bad thing? As a society, don't we strive for efficiency? They are always coming up with ways of making every aspect of life quicker and easier. So why is "easy" bad?

Thirdly, it really seems to be a double-standard when it comes to WLS versus other medically necessary surgery. You never hear anyone saying that getting a knee replacement is the "easy way out". "They should just walk it off and fight through the pain." So why is getting surgery to correct other medical issues okay, but WLS is not?

I think it's because being obese is considered a moral failing in our society. So consciously or not, people think we should have to suffer for our "sins".

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Well, compared to losing and keeping off weight surgery for me it was the easier way. Or so I think. Because I never was able to get off about 50 kg of weight. I also never was able to keep the weight odd. So for me there was/is something about WLS that actually made/makes it easier.

But who says that you have to do things the hard way? Do the people going on about "WLS is wrong because it's cheating" or something equally ridiculous slap their dirty laundry around in the river down the road instead of using a washing machine or what?

It's ridiculous to demand that people "lose weight the hard way", i. e. without surgery.

But lets face it: one can go on and on and ON about how "WLS is hard work" and about the "commitment" etc. - something must make losing and keeping weight off easier with WLS or the outcomes would be as bad as the outcomes of "traditional" weight loss. The results are so much better. There has to be some kind of magic after all. ;)

Maybe the plastics afterwards are equally important, btw. Having plastics after WLS seems to improve the likelihood of keeping the weight off.

That kind of stuff is what makes me embarrassed to tell anyone besides my close family.....and all you people lol

Sent from my SM-J700P using the BariatricPal App

I was embarrassed in the beginning of my journey and received some backlash, but I learned to thicken my skin and use it as an opportunity to educate those negative ignorant people about the surgery. By no means does it mean tell every in the world, (unless you want) but at the same time don't be scared of people finding out because it's a good thing you're wanting to be healthy and lose weight and you can take it as a chance to be able to educate those people that know nothing about the surgery. Also a good chance to use some of those comebacks @@LittleBill suggsted lol

I get a lot of this stigma from my co-workers coming back after my surgery. These folks told me once a day I was taking the easy way out. Long story short one day I marched into the back and lost it for a second letting this particular person know exactly why I chose this- I gave myself a tool to ensure my success. As well as what I personally had to change about my lifestyle and explained I do everything someone who took the "hard way" does. I simply have a something to keep me on the right path. I have no shame in that. Generally when people struggle they need a hand up and the proper education to ensure their success. I haven't been ashamed in the least in the choice I've made and let people know around me what I was doing for accountability purposes and I started to regret it shortly after- once I quit brushing it off and I started getting real with people who think they know what my journey consists of I felt liberated and like maybe I had a chance to shed some light on something that I believe the majority of people don't know about.

I just wanted to say that I thought the fist year was tough and my goodness it was! With all the lifestyle changes that have to be made to lose all of your weight and all the changes to your body.

I have learned since than as many vets warned me....Maintenance is even harder yet. Mostly because you have met your weight loss goal and now you need to figure out how to live in this new world. You don't have the motivation of the scale or changes in clothing sizes.

Your motivation is more focused on staying healthy and not fitting in all those new clothes you bought.

It is way harder than I thought it would be but it is doable. It is doable because my tool will always be there for me to help me control myself. As long as I make good decisions, I should be in great shape 10, 15, 20 years from now. That is my goal......and thank goodness I have a tool to help me acheive it!

People magazine runs a story like that every year. And GMA has them on the show. I think it is wonderful that people can lose that much weight and share it to inspire others to do the same. As others have said, it is the implication that wls is the easy way to do it.

For me, it has been easier to lose the weight with my sleeve, but not easy. There is a difference. My sleeve is a medical tool that I have to help me. I still have to to the work to lose the weight.

It will be a very long time before wls losing the reputation of being the easy way out. Some of that responsibility lies with those of us who don't share our path to success. I get it that we face judgement and criticism from others. For me, I don't really care what others say about it. There is a saying "Other's opinion about me is none of my business." Maybe that kind of confidence come with age. :-)

I told my friends and family after I made the decision and did it in a way that included how I can't do it own my own, I am need to get help, and I want to be healthy and throughly enjoy my life. Only one person had concerns but ultimately supports me. I am semi retired and self employed so I didn't have to deal with coworkers but I think I would tell them too. If someone asks me, I share my experience with the sleeve. And if someone isn't comfortable doing so, that is ok, as it isn't easy.

It is kind of like what comes first, the chicken or the egg. Do we wait for society to accept wls and then we feel free to share or do we share our choices and successes and society changes their view?

Carry on my fellow wls comrades!

@@suzzzzz Good points. We need to be ready to educate others, but not at the expense of ourselves. If we can share with others without worrying about how it will affect us personally, it goes a long way toward "advancing the cause".

@@suzzzzz Good points. We need to be ready to educate others, but not at the expense of ourselves. If we can share with others without worrying about how it will affect us personally, it goes a long way toward "advancing the cause".

That is exactly what I was trying to say. Thankyou!

This one drives me CRAZY. I bet hundreds if not thousands of people DIE every year because the social stigma against WLS deterred them from getting life-saving surgery.

First of all, we all know there is nothing "easy" about WLS. It's weeks/months of misery and recovery and takes a lifetime of commitment and hard work.

This post is beyond perfect.

For me, it was easier to lose weight with surgery than without. I was less hungry, and getting fuller faster kept me satisfied. I'd say I didn't feel true hunger until about 18 months out. I can honestly say it was the easy way.

Now with maintenance? I work just as hard as any non surgical person to keep the weight off, just with the tiny added benefit of the sleeve. But I could easily eat around that if I choose.

Let's see if these ladies are thin in five years.they proved nothing to me by putting them on the cover.

Let us also mention another reason the media bombards us with "quick weight loss ".... MONEY!

Advertising sells.... programs have to be sponsored by ads. Madison Avenue Knows what people might listen to. And buy and try. And probably more than once!!! Repeat buyers for weight loss. Built in consumers.

There we are with the ads and the programs and the.... weight for it....MONEY!!!!

Who is advertising for Wls? Few and far between.

Next year people magazine will do it again. Guaranteed

Wls is hard work!!Maintenance is long and mindful. I could not have been who I am without Wls!!! Grateful!

(Don't mistake me for self righteous... I work at my weight and fall down) .. I do however get right back up and try again

Sigh. I try...mostly successfully .

(Banded 12/06)

Edited by Julie norton