Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery aborted

So I was advised to have gastric bypass to help with all the health issues I weigh 195. I did not qualify for gastric bypass for weight. I qualified for health reasons it would help with the fatty liver, diabetes, sleep apnea, Gerd high blood pressure,high cholesterol, sciatica, leaky bladder and I have ankylosing spondylitis. I was told I really needed this surgery, it would add years to my life. I was even fast tracked. My consultation was the first week in October and today was my surgery January 10. During surgery they discovered that my stomach had so many adhesion that they have adhered to my intestines that it was unsafe to do the surgery. I have not had a chance to talk to the doctor this evening but I'm so upset I'm not sure what to do now. As I lay here in the hospital still only on ice chips I'm in emotional mess.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

The surgeon obviously had your long term health in mind when making the decision so be thankful for that. Your disappointment must be huge and for that I send you a {{hug}}. Rest and speak to your surgeon when he visits and ask if another type of surgery would be suitable.

I am so sorry that you had surgery only to find out they could not do the bypass! That has to be frustrating and scary.

I am sure your surgeon will have some idea of what can be done for you. Many of the reasons you listed are great reasons for having this surgery as you well know.

Just hang in there and wait to talk to him. I believe that everything happens for a reason. He was trying to keep you safe.

Hugs to you! I hope you feel better soon!

How disappointing.So sorry surgery wasn't completed.Rest and talk with your dr. maybe there is something else that can be done.

Hi, sorry that you are disappointed. I had a gastric bypass on 3 March 2017 and the surgeon noticed a lot of scar tissue and tissue adhesion during the surgery. The surgery was twice as long as planned. I had to pay for my surgery, (very little is covered by the public health system in New Zealand, and private insurance doesn't cover bariatric surgery here), I'm wondering if I hadn't paid, whether the surgery would have been aborted. I have M.E. and Lupus as well. This journey has turned out to be a lot harder than I mentally prepared myself for.

I'm sorry that happened. I truly hope they find a solution for you.

HEIGHT 5'9.5" HW 305; Started with first surgery, dietician visit 10/21/16

Everything happens for a reason... just relax, you're still alive which beats the alternative! Crazy and frustrating I bet, but not being around ends your journey before you get started... there's a bigger picture, you'll be in it! I'm thankful you're ok

So sorry to hear this and sad for your disappointment! ((hugs))