Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi I am 6 weeks post op and I have yet to have a normal bowel movement sometimes diarrhea sometimes soft and they are very light in color has anyone been experiencing this .

Is it kinda clay-colored? Does it have a yellow tint to it? If so, this could be a sign of a gallbladder problem. When the diet changes drastically, it can make the gallbladder fail. Are you having any cramping in your stomach, sides, or upper back?

This could also just be from eating a low carb diet.

Yeah, if you have your gall bladder please inform your surgeon's office. My gallbladder almost killed me. I was in ICU for 4 days in February - Pre-surgery.

Yeah, if you have your gall bladder please inform your surgeon's office. My gallbladder almost killed me. I was in ICU for 4 days in February - Pre-surgery.

Wow, glad you're ok now. Did you get pancreatitis?

I noticed something wasn't right with me when my stool turned clay-colored with a slightly yellow tint; and sometimes, even yellowish mucus (TMI). Then, I would feel bloated all the time, especially after eating. Then, I would have indigestion. Eventually, I started having a strong cramping sensation in my sides when I would sit down and bend over to pick something up (kinda like a Charlie horse). By then, I knew I had to get something checked out. So, I scheduled a HIDA scan. When they gave me the cholecystokinin injection, I felt horribly nauseous (which is one of the indicators of a failing gallbladder). It took a while for my gallbladder to empty the injection. My results were that my gallbladder was functioning at only 12% (anything lower than 35% motility is diagnosed as gallbladder dysfunction). I had my gallbladder removed, and the cramping pain and indigestion went away.

Though, now that my gallbladder is gone, it can be difficult to eat fatty foods. You can go from being constipated, to having diarrhea.

I'm 5 months post-op, and I only have a bowel movement 1-2 times each week. It's awful. So now, I try to remind myself to drink Benefiber.

Edited by Hiraeth

Thank you all so much for your information calling my surgeon tomorrow I have all the symptoms u described .

Edited by Ellamax

Yes, The gallbladder caused Pancreatitis, Diabetic Ketoacidosis (I wasn't diabetic, my gallbladder failure caused my pancreas to virtually stop) and low functioning kidneys. When they took out my gallbladder the surgeon said it was so scarred that it has adhered itself to the surrounding organs. Ugh.

I noticed something wasn't right with me when my stool turned clay-colored with a slightly yellow tint; and sometimes, even yellowish mucus (TMI). Then, I would feel bloated all the time, especially after eating. Then, I would have indigestion. Eventually, I started having a strong cramping sensation in my sides when I would sit down and bend over to pick something up (kinda like a Charlie horse). By then, I knew I had to get something checked out. So, I scheduled a HIDA scan. When they gave me the cholecystokinin injection, I felt horribly nauseous (which is one of the indicators of a failing gallbladder). It took a while for my gallbladder to empty the injection. My results were that my gallbladder was functioning at only 12% (anything lower than 35% motility is diagnosed as gallbladder dysfunction). I had my gallbladder removed, and the cramping pain and indigestion went away.

Though, now that my gallbladder is gone, it can be difficult to eat fatty foods. You can go from being constipated, to having diarrhea.

I'm 5 months post-op, and I only have a bowel movement 1-2 times each week. It's awful. So now, I try to remind myself to drink Benefiber.

My symptoms were vomiting nightly and daily, discolored stool, mucus in stool and massive leg cramping at night from no potassium or magnesium in my system because of the malabsorption. It took the docs WAY too long to diagnose and thus I suffered for 8 months.

To the OP:

The discolored stool is a big indicator of gallbladder or pancreatic problems. It's due to malabsorption.

Rapid weight loss can cause gallstones and gallbladder attacks so definitely keep an eye on this and let your surgeon know.

Edited by LittleLizzieLilliput

Thank you all so much for your information calling my surgeon tomorrow I have all the symptoms u described .

Oh my. So sorry you're dealing with all of this. Please keep us updated! :)

Yes, The gallbladder caused Pancreatitis, Diabetic Ketoacidosis (I wasn't diabetic, my gallbladder failure caused my pancreas to virtually stop) and low functioning kidneys. When they took out my gallbladder the surgeon said it was so scarred that it has adhered itself to the surrounding organs. Ugh.

My symptoms were vomiting nightly and daily, discolored stool, mucus in stool and massive leg cramping at night from no potassium or magnesium in my system because of the malabsorption. It took the docs WAY too long to diagnose and thus I suffered for 8 months.

To the OP:

The discolored stool is a big indicator of gallbladder or pancreatic problems. It's due to malabsorption.

Rapid weight loss can cause gallstones and gallbladder attacks so definitely keep an eye on this and let your surgeon know.

Wow, I'm so sorry. That is horrible. Are you ok now? :unsure:

Gosh, it irks me to know that your doctors took so long to diagnose you, especially when your symptoms are obvious indicators of a possible gallbladder problem. The same thing happened to my mom; she kept having weird bowel movements and back pain, which went misdiagnosed for so many years. Her doctor kept saying it was IBS, but she just wasn't convinced. Several years later, the back pain got much worse. One night, her back started hurting so badly that she was in tears (my mom barely ever cries, so I knew something was really wrong). My sister called 911, and she was rushed to the ER. Sure enough, it was her gallbladder. Her surgeon said that she was one of the most difficult procedures he's ever had; definite top 5 most difficult. He said her gallbladder was completely rotten, and as if it had been rotting for 10-20 years. He said it's a miracle that her pancreas was not affected. After her gallbladder was removed, the back pain went away. For years she dealt with that back pain. -_-