Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No leak test - self pay

So I was researching today and saw that the surgeon I was thinking of using doesn't do a leak test as he doesn't see it necessary. Did anyone's else's surgeon not do it ? I found another one in the area that does but he's 5000 more !

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

So I was researching today and saw that the surgeon I was thinking of using doesn't do a leak test as he doesn't see it necessary. Did anyone's else's surgeon not do it ? I found another one in the area that does but he's 5000 more !

Thanks

Where was this at? That sounds pretty outrageous! Even when I was looking at Mexico all of the stories I read included a leak test of some sort.

I would 100% avoid the surgeon that does not do one.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using the BariatricPal App

Maybe I worded it wrong .. no post leak test for instance the following day

So from just reading that, it sounds like they will do a post op leak test if asked or perhaps if you show signs of a leak. But it also sounds like you may end up paying extra for it.

I would call the surgeon and verify that info.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using the BariatricPal App

I was self pay and the next day my dr did a leak test no xtra charge

I will be having my surgery with Dr. Alvarez in Mexico and he performs 2 leak tests and that is included in the fee (I'm self pay). There is no way I would have a procedure done by that doctor!

Had my surgery done in south Florida

My doctor does not do the leak test either. He said they are not the most effective way to determine if there is a leak. He also said there are clear symptoms that they monitor for after surgery to ensure there is no leak.

I wouldnt feel comfortable not having a leak test.... trust me, at the hospital i was so dehydrated and cotton mouth on the 24hr post op fast b4 leak test that i would have said screw it but hindsight is 20/20.... leak test is worth it. God forbid there was a leak they couldve gone right back in n fixed it, all pain in 1 shot. Versus 50% healing, finding out later n having to get cracked open n deal with all the pain all over again. Good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using the BariatricPal App

I was self pay in Mexico and had three leak tests done.

My surgeon has done over 6000 surgeries, does not do leak tests and has never had a leak. I know they do check for leaks before the stitch you back up and some doctors do the oral leak test thingy b4 discharge.

My surgeon has done over 6000 surgeries, does not do leak tests and has never had a leak. I know they do check for leaks before the stitch you back up and some doctors do the oral leak test thingy b4 discharge.

Complacency is no reason to not do a thorough job. 6000 surgeries? Sounds like somebody is doing way too much. I'm betting this is one of those surgeons that will do 10 surgeries in a day. Scary stuff!