Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone gone away on a vacation 3 months after surgery?

I love to go on cruises in the winter (not just for the food). I had my surgery January 4th and it is freezing in New York! I'm retired and bored to pieces. I am eating scrambled eggs and string cheese and should be on food 3 meals a day by then. Should I go???

I would love to hear the answer to this. I'm thinking of taking a trip to Australia at about 3 months post op. This should be a pretty active vacation if I go. In a foreign country but at least they speak English! I think it will be a challenge to manage post surgery AND as a vegan. And add to the mix, I'll be visiting and traveling with my sister who doesn't know about the surgery.

Edited by vegbeth

I think as long as you stay mindful, you should be fine. I've never been on a cruise but I imagine that buffets would have plenty of Protein options and at 3 months out you are on solid food. So as long as you think you can avoid the temptation of the starchy/sugary options, I say getting away and enjoying yourself in the dead of winter sounds great!

I did a week long tour of tennessee in October (4 months post op for me). It was fine. I had some Protein Bars and pouches of tuna with me "just in case" and typically used those for lunch in the middle of the day when I didn't want to hunt for a restaurant in the middle of sightseeing (or in the middle of hiking the Great Smoky Mtns national park one day). Also on a cruise ship, you'll have constant access to Water to drink.

So you might want to pack a couple Protein Bars or single serve pouches of Protein powder in case of emergencies. But really, I think you'll be fine. And you can get lots of walking in on the ship.

Go and enjoy!

Sure, go for it, as long as you are willing to commit to eating on-plan while on vacation. Many people look at vacation as a time of indulgence and a time to explore new and interesting foods, eating whatever they want -- but it doesn't sound like that is what you are planning for your vacation. I'll bet you'll have lots of energy and enjoy yourself!

Yes I went on vaca one month, 2 months, and 3 months out! Haha! I love to travel :)

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Thanks for your feedback guys!!!!!!

I couldn't binge if I WANTED to! lol

I can barely get down two scrambled eggs.

I just came home after being gone for 10 days. I am 2 months post op. During that time, I will admit I did find myself occasionally get grouchy because I couldn't eat those things I used to eat. However, I did stick to plan and I tried to walk as much as I could. Now during this time, even though I stuck to plan and walked I didn't lose any weight. I'm sure I had Water retention and I was just out of my normal routine. I am a low BMI now, so my weight loss is slower too. I've been home a week and I've now lost 3 more lbs. Being on a cruise for me, would be difficult. THERE'S SO MUCH FOOD!!! I bet you can do it though. Make use of the gym, walk around the ship, do physical excursions. PLAN, PLAN, PLAN. I like the saying, "If you fail to plan, you plan to fail." Also, while I was on vacation, I took my food scales and also Protein drinks. I didn't care if anyone noticed I weighed my food. I won't see them again. lol

How was your energy level the first couple of months after surgery? I am having surgery on 2/9/17. I have a camping trip scheduled for the 1st week in March. It is in my motorhome. My hubby wants to take me on a cruise to Mexico and visit some Mayan temples for My 50th birthday. Lots of activities with both trips. I'm just wondering if I'm going to be up to it?

I get very fatigued during the day but am only 3 weeks past my surgery...does the fatigue stay?

Bonnie, Thanks for the quote! I'll remember that one as it is SO true

I spent New Years in the Dominican Republic. We stayed at an all-inclusive resort for 8 days. I found it easy to stay on track with Proteins and liquids (water and milk). All meals had excellent Protein options. I indulged on fresh fruit at most meals. I also tried to have a bite or two of veggies at most meals. For me, the most difficult part was slowing down and stretching my few bites of food over the 30 minutes or so we were at dinner. Also, I worked hard to not draw attention to how much I was eating, since most of the group we traveled with do not know I had surgery. We travelled with family (siblings, spouses, parents, etc.). I've only shared my journey with my husband, our children and my parents.

If I were to go again, I would definitely bring along Protein Bars. We did a few excursions away from the resort and it was trickier for me to find Proteins that I felt comfortable eating.

Thanks for your feedback guys!!!!!!

I couldn't binge if I WANTED to! lol

I can barely get down two scrambled eggs.

But you aren't going on vacation now. You will be able to eat more at 3 mths and there will be temptations so keep that front and center. If you search this forum for cruise or vacation, you will find many threads about it.

Enjoy!

Of COURSE you should go!! Look, this is a lifelong change we've made. By that time you should be onto foods. You will basically be focusing on only Protein and Water. You will find plenty of that on the cruise.

You know the rules, you know your routines, by that time you will be fully recovered and probably raring to get out there, walk faster, enjoy doing more things more easily, etc.

GO! Enjoy!!! This surgery was so we can all get back to living a full, healthy, well rounded life. Going on the cruise is the exact reason you had this surgery. :) Live your life, grab it hard by the lapels and swing it around! Enjoy your retired life, follow your guidelines and by the time you are getting ready for your cruise you are gonna have to buy new outfits for the big trip!

I love to go on cruises in the winter (not just for the food). I had my surgery January 4th and it is freezing in New York! I'm retired and bored to pieces. I am eating scrambled eggs and string cheese and should be on food 3 meals a day by then. Should I go???

Mherrera-we will be going to Domenican Republic for 8 days beginning of April too. Although I will be 5 months post op I still worry about it., especially being out on excursions.

We go every year to an all inclusive either there or Mexico. Back then it was eating Mexican food, drinking beer, mixed drinks and Pina Coladas.

Oh this trip will be so different!! No more laying around on the beach sipping drinks all day!

Lilikchen- definitely go on a cruise! There's great healthy options on a cruise.

My friend just went on one and said there were so many Protein and fresh fruit options everywhere. She actually lost weight on the cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App