Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help choosing a surgeon in MX

I had a wonderful experience with Dr. Fernando Garcia. Surgery 12/2016. 60 pounds loss and at my goal weight for over 6 months now. I'm from San Diego.

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

I also had a terrific experience with Dr. Fernando Garcia and his staff. He performed the VSG on me in August of 2015, and I felt like I was taken care of very well. I spent more time with his staff than directly with him, but he was kind and attentive, and willing to answer questions. I had minimal actual pain - mainly just some discomfort. I slept most of the time I was in the clinic, but was well enough to take laps through the hallway. I had a private room so I brought my laptop with me loaded with movies and hooked it up to the TV via a HDMI cable so my parents (who were my support team since my husband was working) could watch them while I dozed.

I spent a total of four days in Mexico. I live in LA, so we drove down on a Monday morning and parked at the border parking lot for Tijuana where the driver met us and took us and his other passengers (a girl who was also having the VSG and her sister, who'd flown in) to the Marriott. That night I walked down to the shopping center a few blocks away with my dad, and then just relaxed in the hotel. On Tuesday morning I went to the clinic and had the tests for surgery, and then the surgery itself. I was in the clinic all day on Wednesday. On Thursday I had the leak test (and paid the small fee to get a copy of the results for my personal records), and then was brought back to the hotel. I felt well, so we played tourist, and then went for a walk, and lounged by the pool. On Friday a nurse came to the hotel to check on me, and then my family checked out of the hotel and were brought back to the parking lot. We breezed over the border because we were in the medical lane. There's an outlet mall a couple of blocks away, so we went there and shopped. I felt completely fine by that point. The only mild distress I felt was due to an allergic reaction to the tape used on the incisions. Once I replaced that, all was well.

On my last day at the clinic I met with a nutritionist who gave me a packet of information about the eating stages. Several leading bariatric centers, like one at the the mayo Clinic, have information on their websites about how to eat post-op, and I suggest reading through in advance when you're making your plans.

The total cost for me was $4200. That included the surgery and all tests and medications, two nights stay at the Marriott and bariatric meals there (popsicles and broth), and all ground transportation. The Marriott even shuttled my parents back and forth from the hotel to the clinic every day for free (though they generously tipped). I'd consulted with surgeons in LA who quoted me $29,000 to $35,000 for the same surgery. I believe the outcome would have been identical.

I lost weight slowly because I had a low starting BMI (31), but I did exceed my goals within a year. I've had no complications; my lab work is excellent; and I've had minimal hair loss and no loose skin. I am extremely glad I had the surgery. I reclaimed my life.

Edited by Clementine Sky

I went with Dr. Ariel Ortiz of Obesity Control Center (not to be confused with Elias Ortiz) and had a great experience. I have heard a LOT of great things about Dr. Illan as well. I know that BariatricPal does their due diligence and doesn't just affiliate themselves with any doctor, so you should feel confident that Dr. Illan is a great option.

I agree with what everyone else said. Whatever you do, do NOT go with Almanza!

Thank you very much cyndi990 but don't the places here in the us have all kind of restriction and a million loops to go through ?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Hi snogueda

I call Dr Pleatmen in Michigan

$11,200 for the VSG sergury w 1day stay at St Joseph hospital. I month process before the sergury.

Best of luck

Sent from my SM-J700T using the BariatricPal App

@@snogueda

I would love the opportunity to discuss our surgeon Dr. Jalil Illan and BariatricPal Team MX services with you.

You can read about Dr. Illan here

https://teammx.baria...-oasis-hospital

Watch what our patients have to say about Dr. Jalil Illan, Oasis of Hope Hospital and BariatricPal Team MX

http://www.bariatric...-7#entry4359687

Tour the Oasis Hospital

https://teammx.baria.../pages/hospital

Please feel free calling me 619-900-7808 when you have a free minute.

Is he board certified in bariatric surgery? If I paid a deposit with someone else using PayPal can I get it back?

Sent from my QTAIR7 using the BariatricPal App

Hello everyone,

I'm new here and need help finding the right surgeon in MX. I'm from California. I've been struggling with all the requirements these different Dr's put on us. I had a goal weight to meet and I just cannot lose the rest of it, I mean that is why I need the surgery Bc i cannot do it on my own. Any advice will help. Thank you

I had Gastric sleeve surgery in November 2016 by Dr Sergio Verboone at Obesity Goodbye Clinic. Great doctor and great experience. Had the same nurse the whole time. There was physician asst. there having the surgery from another state when I had mine.

My husband and I found some very BAD stuff about Almanza, DO NOT use him! I spent quite a bit of time talking with @BillYanez at Bariatric Team Mexico, about Dr Illan.

We decided to stay stateside, because I found a surgeon nearby that was affordable, but I would give Bill Yanez a call. They're very affordable and really cover all your bases. He was informative and easy to talk with. Very accomodating.

@@snogueda

I would love the opportunity to discuss our surgeon Dr. Jalil Illan and BariatricPal Team MX services with you.

You can read about Dr. Illan here

https://teammx.baria...-oasis-hospital

Watch what our patients have to say about Dr. Jalil Illan, Oasis of Hope Hospital and BariatricPal Team MX

http://www.bariatric...-7#entry4359687

Tour the Oasis Hospital

https://teammx.baria.../pages/hospital

Please feel free calling me 619-900-7808 when you have a free minute.

Is he board certified in bariatric surgery? If I paid a deposit with someone else using PayPal can I get it back?

Sent from my QTAIR7 using the BariatricPal App

I saw a New York Times article that recommended using an International Center of Excellence Bariatric Surgery-certified surgeon. GOOGLE "Ice bariatric". They seem to charge more.

I saw a YouTube video that chronicled two refund events. Unfortunately the title did not reflect the contents of the YouTube video. In one of her experiences she got a full refund and the other the company refused to refund bc she vented on a blog ?and she advised against using Wireless Transfer.

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App