Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Post Op MARIJUANA Users?

I still smoke from time to time, just watch out not smoking a type of weed that'll give you the munchies and get ready to drink lots of Water.

I just came back from the Netherlands and I had a very good time there ;)

My doctor said it’s not the thc, it’s smoking anything in general that can cause bleeding ulcers... did your Doctor warm you against it at all?

It's more the tobacco and the cigarettes that are the problem in this case. My doctor told me to avoid tobacco as much as I could because it could cause ulcers indeed, but I think you'd have to smoke two packs a day to ruin your stomach this much.

I personally have a vaporizer, I smoke one with tobacco from time to time and nothing bad has happened to me (except in some cases, an unwanted craving for some ice-tea and chocolate).

Sorry to revive a zombie thread, but I whenever I see these posts I always want to give 2 cents.

Edibles are far more potent after bypass. Be very careful. I don't smoke but I love an edible on the weekend. Post op I've been knocked on my ass by really mild stuff since. In some ways it's great - more bang for your buck. But really easy to over-do it so start small.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm a light user of medibles. Maybe 2-3 times per month. I'd rather have a few milligrams over a mixed drink any day.
My questions are, how is your funtion with marijuana after being sleeved/bypassed?
The same as before. I just chill at home, do housework, etc. after I take some. My goal is to relax, so "functioning" isn't really what I care about, lol.
Were you able to use it for pain relief/sleep aid directly after surgery?
Since I don't smoke it, I had to wait to use it. I used a tincture about 14 days post-op; I waited until my puree food stage just because.
Are you less tolerable? Do you get the "munchies" still?
Because I use edibles, it's very hard to find sugar-free stuff. I've scoured the Interwebs looking for where along the GI tract THC is absorbed; some say the stomach, some the intestines, others both.
In my opinion, with very limited research, the edibles don't have as intense or as long-lasting effect on me than before the sleeve gastrectomy. I never got the munchies from edibles.
Did you smoke it or take an alternative route?
I find the pleasure from orally ingesting it is superior to smoking it.
You described the prefence really well.

Just for information, I had dinner with a pharmacologist and GI doctor a few weeks back and the answer to the absobtive question is both (I was also confused by the range of info online), but the small intestine is more efficient, and given its length, a better chance to get into the blood.

The Pharma guy did say that there is a lot of variability in the active compounds and their pathway into the bloodstream, but the better researched psychoactive compounds work through both channels.

Eat up I say. I note you had a sleeve though, and it's interesting it's not as intense now.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using BariatricPal mobile app

Daily..almost 9 weeks out from VSG. I have lost 44lbs so far(14lbs preop). My tolerance was sky high before and still is. I don’t really get the munchies. If I want to snack I always have like boiled eggs or veggies with ranch dip in the fridge. But I don’t necessarily get them. I honestly feel like it helps with curbing my appetite. It did preop as well and aided with the 14lbs. I don’t really talk about this with people because opinions are strong on usage, surgery or not. Glad to see others who enjoy as much as I.

Daily..almost 9 weeks out from VSG. I have lost 44lbs so far(14lbs preop). My tolerance was sky high before and still is. I don’t really get the munchies. If I want to snack I always have like boiled eggs or veggies with ranch dip in the fridge. But I don’t necessarily get them. I honestly feel like it helps with curbing my appetite. It did preop as well and aided with the 14lbs. I don’t really talk about this with people because opinions are strong on usage, surgery or not. Glad to see others who enjoy as much as I.
It also helps with getting your fluids in.[emoji16][emoji16]

Sent from my LGMS210 using BariatricPal mobile app

Great thread, thanks everyone. I have terrible hip pain. I need a new hip, but need to lose about 40 more lbs before the doctors will operate. I have been trying ointment, but they don't seem to touch it. Since I'm 4 weeks post op, I haven't been able to do a lot of my exercises, so the pain is getting worse every day.

Any Washington residents have brands/products that helped with pain for them? Ibuprofen used to help a lot, but I can't take that now. Ideally I'd get the anti-inflamatory without the "high", but I'll take a little high to get rid of the pain as well.

I'd prefer not to smoke, so other deliver methods are preferred.

Look at gelato strain. Good for pain while allowing you to function.

just gonna add to this thread! i waited 4 days post op to smoke, and i was fine. i haven’t really felt like i get the munchies (i didn’t much before surgery either) but i always try to get a few Snacks ready before i smoke just in case. in the few times i have had the munchies, this is so helpful. it’s also just helpful from the surgery i think, that i stop right when i’m full instead of continuing to eat like i would pre-op.

as for tolerance, mine hasn’t really changed. (got the sleeve) i haven’t tried edibles again yet, since i’m only 1 month post op, but i’ve smoked basically every method minus blunts and been fine.

also!! i’ve been using CBD salve on my incisions and they are fading so nicely! it also helped with the pain for the first week or so, i def had to take LESS tylenol cause i was using the salve

I had mentioned to my nephew that I wanted to smoke a while ago pre surgery. He gave me i guess about half a blunt and kept urging me to try it but by this point I was doing the 2 week diet and did not know what to expect so didn't chance it. I finally tried it about 3 weeks ago, week 4 post and it was great. No paranoia just a great feeling relaxing high and no munchies whatsoever. I have no idea what type it was but would happily smoke more. I only smoked a bit at a time and it lasted me 3 nights. Smoked late at night just in case it had a bad effect on me, I could just go to bed.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Prdgrdma

So I guess after gastric bypass surgery, I cant eat flock chips because they are fried???  They sell them on here so I thought I could have them. So high in protein and no carbs.  They don't bother me at all.  Help. 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

It's possible for a very high fat meal to cause dumping in some (30% or so) gastric bypass patients, although it's more likely to be triggered by high sugar, or by the high fat/high sugar combo (think ice cream, donuts). Dietitians will tell you to never do anything that isn't 100% healthy ever again. Realistically, you should aim for a good balance of protein, carbs, and fat each day. Should you eat fried foods every day? No. Is it possible they will make you sick? Maybe. Is it okay to eat some to see what happens and have them for a treat every now and again? Yes.

• NovelTee

I'm not at all hungry on this liquid pre-op diet, but I miss the sensation of chewing. It's been about two weeks––surgery is in two days––and I can't imagine how I'll feel a couple of weeks post-op. Tonight, I randomly stumbled upon a mukbang channel on YouTube, and it was strangely soothing... is it just me, or is this a thing? 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

I actually watched cooking shows during my pre-op, like Great British Baking Show. It was a little bizarre, but didn't make me hungry. I think it was also soothing in a way.

• Clueless_girl

How do you figure out what your ideal weight should be? I've had a figure in my head for years, but after 3 mths of recovery I'm already almost there. So maybe my goal should be lower?
      · 3 replies
      1. NickelChip

Well, there is actually a formula for "Ideal Body Weight" and you can use a calculator to figure it out for you. This one also does an adjusted weight for a person who starts out overweight or obese. https://www.mdcalc.com/calc/68/ideal-body-weight-adjusted-body-weight

I would use that as a starting point, and then just see how you feel as you lose. How you look and feel is more important than a number.

2. Clueless_girl

I did find different calculators but I couldn't find any that accounted for body frame. But you're right, it is just a number. It was just disheartening to see that although I lost 60% of my excess weight, it's still not in the "normal/healthy" range..

3. NickelChip

I think it's important to remember that the weight charts and BMI ranges were developed a very long time ago and only intended to be applied to people who have never been overweight or obese. Those numbers aren't for us. When you are larger, especially for a long time, your body develops extra bone to support the weight. Your organs get a little bigger to handle the extra mass. Your entire infrastructure increases so you can support and function with the extra weight. That doesn't all go away just because you burn off the excess fat. If you still had a pair of jeans from your skinniest point in life and then lost weight to get to the exact number on the scale you were when those jeans fit you, chances are they would be a little baggy now because you would actually be thinner than you were, even though the scale and the BMI chart disagree. When in doubt, listen to the jeans, not the scale!

• Aunty Mamo

Tomorrow marks two weeks since surgery day and while I'm feeling remarkably well and going about just about every normal activity, I did wind up with a surface abscess on on of my incision sights and was put on an antibiotic that made me so impacted that it took me more than two hours to eliminate yesterday and scared the hell out of me. Now there's Miralax in all my beverages that aren't Smooth Move tea. I cannot experience that again. I shouldn't have to take Ativan to go to the lady's. I really looking forward to my body getting with the program again. 
      I'm in day three of the "puree" stage of eating and despite the strange textures, all of the savory flavors seem decadent. 
      I timed this surgery so that I'd be recovering during my spring break. That was a good plan. Today is a state holiday and the final day of break. I feel really strong to return to school tomorrow. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Now that I'm in maintenance mode, I'm getting a into a routine for my meals. Every day, I start out with 8-16 ounces of water, and then a proffee, which I have come to look forward to even the night before. My proffees are simply a black coffee with a protein powder added. There are three products that I cycle through: Premier Vanilla, Orgain Vanilla, and Dymatize Vanilla.
      For second breakfast on workdays, I will have a low-fat yogurt with two tablespoons of PBFit and two teaspoons of no sugar added dried cherries. I will have ingested 35-45 grams of protein at this point between the two breakfasts, with 250-285 calories, and about 20 carbs.
      For second breakfast on non-workdays, I will prepare two servings of plain, instant oatmeal with a tablespoon of an olive oil-based spread. This means I will have had 34 grams of protein, 365 calories, and 38 carbs. Non-workdays are when I am being very active with training sessions, so I allow myself more carbohydrate fuel.
      Snacks on any day are always mixed nuts, even when I am travelling. I will have 0.2 cups of a blend that I make myself. It consists of dry roasted peanuts, cashews, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pistachios, and Brazil nuts. This is 5 grams of protein, 163 calories, and 7 carbs.
      Breakfast and snacks have been the easiest to nail down. Lunch and dinner have more variables, and I prepare enough for leftovers. I concentrate on protein first, and then add vegetables. Typically tempeh, tofu, or Field Roast products with roasted or sautéed vegetables. Today, I will be eating leftovers from last night. Two ounces of tempeh with four ounces of roasted vegetables that consist of red and yellow sweet peppers, sweet potatoes, small purple potatoes, zucchini, and carrots. I will add a tablespoon of olive oil-based spread, break up 3 walnuts to sprinkle of top, and garnish with two tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese. This particular meal will be 19 grams of protein, 377 calories, and 28 grams of carbs. Bear in mind that I do eat more carbs when I am not working, and I focus on ingesting healthy carbs instead of breads/crackers/chips/crisps.
      It's a helluva journey and I'm thankful to be on it!

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches