Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Post Op MARIJUANA Users?

@@snogueda I'm in Canada. Medical is legal, and recreational is on the way apparently.

My doctor's paperwork definitely sets out rules for smoking (cigarettes), but it's silent on pot. My questions to him were only about smoking after the procedure, when I'm back to my new normal, so I can't say how long I'm supposed to be pot-free before or after.

Fellow Chronic Chic right here yo! lol! I use it everyday. No adverse effects. Do I still get the munchies?? every now and then, guess what? I eat some chicken. lol! I'm losing weight, losing a ton of inches and have not had any problems. I started smoking it again at about 3 weeks and I was able to ingest it after my 3 month healing mark. That was a personal choice not a directive from anyone.

It helped with pain, nausea and depression my first 6 weeks after my 2 week hiatus. Didn't have any interest in it before then either.

I love it, if you have any questions feel free to ask! Also, I haven't found any negative reactions when I've posted about it. but this thread is long and I haven't had a chance to read all the replies yet. lol!

Hello I'm also a marijuana user and I had the same questions. Bc here in ca when you're in process to get surgery you must be atleast 3 months clean. How has it been for you so far and I feel you on that one we always get some negative image of someone that smokes marijuana. I'm a full time employee and I work very hard. I smoke at night mostly to sleep and during the weekends when I'm off... nice to meet you btw

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I actually still smoke. I didn't really plan to stop until like a week before surgery. Why do they make you stop smoking ?

>Hello I'm also a marijuana user and I had the same questions. Bc here in ca when you're in process to get surgery you must be atleast 3 months clean. How has it been for you so far and I feel you on that one we always get some negative image of someone that smokes marijuana. I'm a full time employee and I work very hard. I smoke at night mostly to sleep and during the weekends when I'm off... nice to meet you btw

nice to meet you too :)

I smoked up till the day before surgery with no issues. I did tell my anesthesiologist though, he didn't care. lol!

I started up again after 2 weeks. Things to be careful of, coughing causing pain in the surgery area (If you have a hernia repair, this will be worse. I did. lol), smoking can cause worse acid reflux. but as long as you are on acid meds and wait to smoke till after 2 weeks of healing, you should be fine.

I vaped this weekend about 3.5 weeks post op. The cannabis hit me the same way, which meant I got the munchies. I didn't do a good job of controlling myself and ate to the point where I was uncomfortably full. I was hoping the need to eat wouldn't be as strong, but it is. Other than that, I have almost no desire to eat.

Funny thing is that used to mean an entire pizza plus donuts or something like that. This time it meant 2 oz of chicken salad and I couldn't resist the half of a deviled egg that put me over the edge. What was most concerning is that even when my stomach was clearly full, my head wanted more. I know myself and I'll keep pushing the limit of what my stomach can do when I'm high.

I think I'm going to have to stop. I knew it was a possibility that I'd have to quit. Being healthy is more important than the weed but it's a bummer because I do enjoy it.

Edited by DillThePill

@@cassandramarie93 I hope my tolerance reduces too that'll be less spending on my medicine. Where you told to quit 2 months prior?

I was told in my class you needed to be off of it a month prior to surgery. I just quit before that because I'm a paranoid s.o.b. lol I was terrified of hurting my chances at getting my surgery so I quit before they told me that just to be safe. In the long run being uncomfortable physically was a better choice for me then spending those months tripping on the possibility of sabotaging myself.

Right now, I've been taking a lot of pills that a few puffs of marijuana would take care of. I eventually will start up again, but I just wanted to make sure I had a handle on this thing first. Dr. says I have to take one pill, wait 10 minutes, then take another. It takes soooooo long. I have fibro and some other auto-immune issues that marijuana seems to help.

I am a medical marijuana patient that is post op 3 months. I still get the munchies but it helps that it's a mental rather than physical feeling so I can usually get by with liquids. I have seen no change in my tolerance for marijuana though I have seen a change in tolerance for alcohol.

I always smoke it. I can't do edibles since I had a rather unfortunate overdose that led to extreme vomiting. I generally have a puff or two to relax and maybe a couple of more to sleep. Typically I mix a high-cbd strain with a pinch of high THC strain 4 pain management. I recently tried dabbing and that knocked me on my butt. Though a dab of CBD meds works really well.

HW 385 SW 359 CW 305 Sleeved 10/5/16

Have you tried CBD oil instead. cheaper than marijuana and legal. Works amazingly for pain by using a few drips under the tongue

Thanks for all the info. I have another question. I'm not interested in smoking it, and edibles are out of the question since it sounds like they don't come sugar free. I saw a few people mention vaping it, is that like regular vaping? I've tried vaping (0 nicotine since I'm not a smoker) so I have a vape pen, does it work like that? I made my own vape juice, is there like marijuana oil or something I could put in that and vape that way? Or is pot vaping completely different?

definitely not a regular marijuana user. Yet I was able to smoke some for my birthday. It was as normal as it ever was, come to fact that i smoked it 4 months post op..it felt regular yet it may have hit me harder than before.. that might have been dependent on the quality of the marijuana though.

Fellow Chronic Chic right here yo! lol! I use it everyday. No adverse effects. Do I still get the munchies?? every now and then, guess what? I eat some chicken. lol! I'm losing weight, losing a ton of inches and have not had any problems. I started smoking it again at about 3 weeks and I was able to ingest it after my 3 month healing mark. That was a personal choice not a directive from anyone.

It helped with pain, nausea and depression my first 6 weeks after my 2 week hiatus. Didn't have any interest in it before then either.

I love it, if you have any questions feel free to ask! Also, I haven't found any negative reactions when I've posted about it. but this thread is long and I haven't had a chance to read all the replies yet. lol!

Haha that's really great to hear, I'm so happy it worked for you. Marijuana truly is a miracle herb. Thank you for your input !

I vaped this weekend about 3.5 weeks post op. The cannabis hit me the same way, which meant I got the munchies. I didn't do a good job of controlling myself and ate to the point where I was uncomfortably full. I was hoping the need to eat wouldn't be as strong, but it is. Other than that, I have almost no desire to eat.

Funny thing is that used to mean an entire pizza plus donuts or something like that. This time it meant 2 oz of chicken salad and I couldn't resist the half of a deviled egg that put me over the edge. What was most concerning is that even when my stomach was clearly full, my head wanted more. I know myself and I'll keep pushing the limit of what my stomach can do when I'm high.

I think I'm going to have to stop. I knew it was a possibility that I'd have to quit. Being healthy is more important than the weed but it's a bummer because I do enjoy it.

I completely support your decision to quit when your health is at stake. Hopefully one day your brain can learn to deal with the urges and you can smoke again lol good luck in the future !

Thanks for all the info. I have another question. I'm not interested in smoking it, and edibles are out of the question since it sounds like they don't come sugar free. I saw a few people mention vaping it, is that like regular vaping? I've tried vaping (0 nicotine since I'm not a smoker) so I have a vape pen, does it work like that? I made my own vape juice, is there like marijuana oil or something I could put in that and vape that way? Or is pot vaping completely different?

I use to have a vape pen. Mine was an herb vaporizer so you'd put weed in instead of oil. They do sell wax that you can vape out of vape pens too idk about oils though I've never tried it.