Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Post Op MARIJUANA Users?

Hello I'm also a marijuana user and I had the same questions. Bc here in ca when you're in process to get surgery you must be atleast 3 months clean. How has it been for you so far and I feel you on that one we always get some negative image of someone that smokes marijuana. I'm a full time employee and I work very hard. I smoke at night mostly to sleep and during the weekends when I'm off... nice to meet you btw

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I actually still smoke. I didn't really plan to stop until like a week before surgery. Why do they make you stop smoking ?

Hello I'm also a marijuana user and I had the same questions. Bc here in ca when you're in process to get surgery you must be atleast 3 months clean. How has it been for you so far and I feel you on that one we always get some negative image of someone that smokes marijuana. I'm a full time employee and I work very hard. I smoke at night mostly to sleep and during the weekends when I'm off... nice to meet you btw

nice to meet you too :)

I still smoke weed, recreational purpose or just when I really can't sleep.

The only side effect is that it makes me quite thirsty but tea and Water are my friends anyway.I had some "dizziness" twice because the strain was a bit strong, but otherwise, never had any single problem.

I never used it before surgery, and tried it after and didn't get high at all. I was so disappointed. Lol

But I don't think that is a reflection of the surgery, more a reflection of me being a first time user

I was going to say the same y'all can send me the edibles if you don't want them and idk why they tell us to stop smoking for 3mnths before surgery here in California by Kaiser atleast. Does anyone??

I never used it before surgery, and tried it after and didn't get high at all. I was so disappointed. Lol

But I don't think that is a reflection of the surgery, more a reflection of me being a first time user

I've heard of this, how some people don't get stoned their first time and I always found it interesting. I got super stoned my first time and I just can't imagine how you wouldn't get stoned unless you didn't inhale. Its mind boggling.

Yeah the people I was with were experienced smokers with good weed. We smoked A LOT. My friend said it took her 4 or 5 times until she got high. The act of smoking didn't really appeal to me though, I would much rather eat a sundae hahah, that is my drug of choice... and sadly even the surgery didn't take that away :(

I've heard of this, how some people don't get stoned their first time and I always found it interesting. I got super stoned my first time and I just can't imagine how you wouldn't get stoned unless you didn't inhale. Its mind boggling.

@@WitchySar

Won't hurt to try?

I'm an anomaly. Pot seems to INTENSIFY pain for me. Does that happen to anyone else?

It depends on the strain. For anyone who grew up in the 60/70's please realize the world of pot as you knew it doesn't exist. The last decade of medical pot changed everything. Now that it is legalized, it is tested and it's corporate. There is often very good science behind the strains and effects. I'm not a user, I just do so much regulatory work in CO and other states that I'm just kind of amazed out how the industry has grown.

On the plus side: No carbs, and No calories

On the down side: Much more potent

On the down side: Kids

On the plus side: Discussion is no longer "you can't do this because the political class says you can't" but now "hmm son, why do you want to?"

I have a question for everyone who uses this. I don't, never have, but I'm getting desperate for pain relief and willing to try anything at this point. I'm also in Colorado so I don't have to worry about needing a medical card. Since I started my pre-op journey in June my back has hurt worse and worse. More weight I lose, more it hurts. Usually starts hurting by early afternoon and by the night it spasms so bad I'm in tears. I'm working with my doctor about it but she won't prescribe pain meds (just take tylenol and use ice/heat... yeah, doesn't touch it at all). Even the oxycodone I was given after the surgery didn't touch the pain. Could marijuana help? I'm so freaking desperate.

Since rec is legal in your state, I say absolutely try it. Oxycodone is bad news.

My suggestion is to go to a shop and tell them what you're looking for. They sell strains with a higher CBD content specifically for pain control. A nice CBD oil or tincture may be exactly what you need.

Doesn't hurt to go ask - find a shop with good reviews.

NOTE: High CBD equals less THC (what gets you high). CBD's are legal in all states but check, because it changes weekly.

I actually still smoke. I didn't really plan to stop until like a week before surgery. Why do they make you stop smoking ?

nice to meet you too :)

because smoke is rough on the incision line of healing subject. I quit chewing and smoking tobacco two years before surgery, but I took up vaping. That wasn't a problem and I even did it in my hospital in Mexico without objection. I really would not even think about smoking for a month post surgery. Let it heal.

For anyone who doesn't realize the difference: Vaping is warming a liquid to a gas which can be inhaled. Unlike smoking, this does not mean combustion. There are very real, known dangers of inhaling burning vegetable matter. Many tars and carbon monoxide. These dangers do not exist with vaping. That said, can't say vaping is 100% safe. It's just too new. Best evidence to date shows no known effects.

I live in Washington State where recreational weed is legal and stigma around using marijuana is dwindling. My doctor advised to stay away from alcohol for at least two months post-op so I've been stone cold sober for more than a month now (including pre-op diet phase). I've also wondered if marajuana is a "safe" alternative to drinking post-surgery.

I am a medical user also and vet curious also. Any advice??

I'm still pre-op. I asked my doctor specifically about this in the consultation and he wasn't concerned at all.

It's medical for you, so I don't think reasonable people can really judge. (Even if it weren't, I wouldn't judge.)

Post updates!

I quit smoking it like 2 months before my surgery and took it back up about 3 weeks post op. I too am a medical marijuana user and I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing but my tolerance is so ridiculously low now that it doesn't take much for me to find my moon boots these days lol. I'm not thinking that has anything to do with surgery but the break I took. Also I've noticed where as before I really loved sativa I generally go for an indica strain now. I've got into the habit of drinking fluids instead of indulging in the munchies that can follow. Other than that life is basically back to normal just making informed decisions about what I'm eating and eating a lot less. A good rule of thumb when going into anything after having this surgery is listen to your body- know when enough is enough when eating, smoking, etc. You're going to be alright.

Never smoked weed and I'm 70 years old.

Your question is excellent,

No one should be branded in this site as "good" or evil".

Prayers of support.