Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Post Op MARIJUANA Users?

I smoke. 3 months out and honestly i smoke every day. If i know im going to i prepare my Water and my snack if it's that time. If not just Water. It helps me get my water in and helps me get my Protein. I don't eat junk. Not without much thought first anyway. My munchies are minimal but usually fine after drinking a bunch of water and a bit of Protein.

Sent from my SM-G925T using the BariatricPal App

I'm a daily user to control an essential tremor.....also highly successful and a great mom (if I do say so myself). Neurologist would prefer edibles which is not an option 15 days post op.....saving my sleeve for only Protein right now.

I waited a week post op and proceeded with great caution. Little hits to avoid coughing. Munchies have never been an issue with me. Dry mouth is actually beneficial as it forces me to work on my liquids.

I would have been more worried had I not talked to my doctor about this. I'd encourage you to do the same. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I use a sublingual tincture. My doctor said to avoid smoking for the same reason we need to avoid cigarettes.

The tincture doesn't have the calories of edibles and begins to take effect in 20-ish minutes. I do indulge to relax occasionally, but mostly it is fantastic for aches and pains after a good workout.

Sent from my SM-G925V using the BariatricPal App

I have a question for everyone who uses this. I don't, never have, but I'm getting desperate for pain relief and willing to try anything at this point. I'm also in Colorado so I don't have to worry about needing a medical card. Since I started my pre-op journey in June my back has hurt worse and worse. More weight I lose, more it hurts. Usually starts hurting by early afternoon and by the night it spasms so bad I'm in tears. I'm working with my doctor about it but she won't prescribe pain meds (just take tylenol and use ice/heat... yeah, doesn't touch it at all). Even the oxycodone I was given after the surgery didn't touch the pain. Could marijuana help? I'm so freaking desperate.

Hello I'm also a marijuana user and I had the same questions. Bc here in ca when you're in process to get surgery you must be atleast 3 months clean. How has it been for you so far and I feel you on that one we always get some negative image of someone that smokes marijuana. I'm a full time employee and I work very hard. I smoke at night mostly to sleep and during the weekends when I'm off... nice to meet you btw

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Hi! I smoke marijuana daily. I'm also a productive and use it mainly at night for anxiety. I was sleeved on December 20th. I used marijuana 5 days after my surgery. I didn't use it before that because I just didn't feel like it lol. I really didn't feel like doing much. Also my incisions were sore and I didn't want to risk coughing. The pain medications that are prescribed after surgery take care of the pain relief/sleep. I used those for about a week because I didn't want to be on them too long, I'd prefer something more natural. I was less tolerable for a day or two after because since I smoke so frequently, even going 5 days without marijuana effects my tolerance. But my tolerance is back to normal now. I truly don't get the munchies much. I'm struggling to get enough calories in right now because I never feel hungry. Even if I did get the munchies, I can only eat 4 tablespoons at a time before I'm satisfied, so it's not like I'd be bingeing on an entire bag of Cheetos or something haha. I used to have a bad habit of smoking marijuana and bingeing on junk food. Now I smoke marijuana and exercise (just walking for now until my surgeon clears me for more intense workouts.) It's all about changing habits.

Good luck to you!

@@WitchySar

Won't hurt to try?

I'm an anomaly. Pot seems to INTENSIFY pain for me. Does that happen to anyone else?

For me it seems about the same. I have tried an edible but I are a very small amount. I think it was like 1/3 of a small chocolate and that seemed fine. I'm not a huge marijuana smoker but as far as I can tell it's about the same. I do drink now and then since my surgery and yes it does hit me quicker. Smoking seems about the same though.

Sent from my SM-J700T using the BariatricPal App

@@VivVsg Good news! Just heard back from my friend. He said he did smoke after the surgery, but he'd recommend vaping or drinkable oil. He says the oil has THC and CBD which are both anti-inflammatory and can help in the healing process! He says he does get munchies, but he still doesn't eat like he used to. :)

I have a question for everyone who uses this. I don't, never have, but I'm getting desperate for pain relief and willing to try anything at this point. I'm also in Colorado so I don't have to worry about needing a medical card. Since I started my pre-op journey in June my back has hurt worse and worse. More weight I lose, more it hurts. Usually starts hurting by early afternoon and by the night it spasms so bad I'm in tears. I'm working with my doctor about it but she won't prescribe pain meds (just take tylenol and use ice/heat... yeah, doesn't touch it at all). Even the oxycodone I was given after the surgery didn't touch the pain. Could marijuana help? I'm so freaking desperate.

Since rec is legal in your state, I say absolutely try it. Oxycodone is bad news.

My suggestion is to go to a shop and tell them what you're looking for. They sell strains with a higher CBD content specifically for pain control. A nice CBD oil or tincture may be exactly what you need.

Doesn't hurt to go ask - find a shop with good reviews.

Edited by White Sale

I don't smoke it and I don't have a patient card, but I have a cannabis-based ointment that I use on my neck where I have a pulled muscle. It's legal in California for medical use and was made fully legal by voters in November-I spent a great deal of time writing about it for my job and people will just send me stuff as a result, so I have a box full of candies and edibles that I likely won't ever eat.

I haven't logged into BariatricPal in a few weeks and it's funny that this should be on the top of the list for current topics. I'm 5 days postop and I am really wishing I had some help with this pain as well. The Zofran makes me throw up and the Tylenol codine is hit or miss at this point. This post has convinced me to talk to my cousin about what my best route would be. I'm thinking a vape also bc I hate pipe smoking and I don't have anywhere private to smoke anyway atm. I have the sublingual tincture but I don't feel like it's ever helped much. I'm gonna try it right now to see if things have changed since surgery. I only partake in edibles when I can't handle the pain of XYZ. That time is now. Lol. I have the best candies too .

I don't smoke it and I don't have a patient card, but I have a cannabis-based ointment that I use on my neck where I have a pulled muscle. It's legal in California for medical use and was made fully legal by voters in November-I spent a great deal of time writing about it for my job and people will just send me stuff as a result, so I have a box full of candies and edibles that I likely won't ever eat.

You can send them to me lol jk haha

I haven't logged into BariatricPal in a few weeks and it's funny that this should be on the top of the list for current topics. I'm 5 days postop and I am really wishing I had some help with this pain as well. The Zofran makes me throw up and the Tylenol codine is hit or miss at this point. This post has convinced me to talk to my cousin about what my best route would be. I'm thinking a vape also bc I hate pipe smoking and I don't have anywhere private to smoke anyway atm. I have the sublingual tincture but I don't feel like it's ever helped much. I'm gonna try it right now to see if things have changed since surgery. I only partake in edibles when I can't handle the pain of XYZ. That time is now. Lol. I have the best candies too .

I hope it makes you feel better.