Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Relatively low BMI results

When I was considering this procedure, I was curious about low BMI results, and had been told to expect slow losses. I started out with a BMI of 32 the day of surgery. Surgery went extremely well with a very easy recovery. By two week follow-up visit, had lost 20lbs, and at nearly 6 weeks, a total of 31lbs lost. This was the best decision of my life! I had lost a bit over 100lbs with diet and exercise, then stalled for six months with no progress prior to surgery. Finally on the move again! I have 26lbs until a healthy BMI. Just wanted to encourage any who may be on the fence, and see what other relatively low BMI people have experienced. Most other threads I found were several years older.

I was BMI 36 staring preop and 33 the day of surgery.

My wife was 32 preop and 30 the day of surgery.

I am down nearly 60 pounds, and 6.5 points on the BMI scale in 9 weeks.

She is down 31 lbs and I have no idea what her BMI is now. She has about 20 lbs to goal left, I am closer to 50 to go.

I expected to lose much slower and have long stalls due to our relatively smaller size. We eat a strict ketogenic diet, which I believe is responsibility for the accelerated weight loss.

I had a BMI of 36, I also had a hiatal hernia repair same time as the sleeve. Recovery was fine, I would say normal for such an operation. Lost 33 pounds till date, mostly during the first 2 months, things have really slowed down and I hit another stall about 1 week ago. Doesn’t matter, I know it will take its time since my BMI is considered "lower". Doesn’t bother me, this operation has saved my life, I feel so much better, have more energy, no longer have sleep apnea, and for the first time in 10 years I'm off heart burn medication and can drink fresh orange juice and have a pickle once in a while without dying from heartburn. I do need to start working out properly, so far I'm only walking for 1/2 an hour per day and that's not enough. Still this operation has turned my life around and I'm very grateful for it.

Sent from my SM-G900FD using the BariatricPal App

Edited by linah

I had a BMI of 36, I also had a hiatal hernia repair same time as the sleeve. Recovery was fine, I would say normal for such an operation. Lost 33 pounds till date, mostly during the first 2 months, things have really slowed down and I hit another stall about 1 week ago. Doesn’t matter, I know it will take its time since my BMI is considered "lower". Doesn’t bother me, this operation has saved my life, I feel so much better, have more energy, no longer have sleep apnea, and for the first time in 10 years I'm off heart burn medication and can drink fresh orange juice and have a pickle once in a while without dying from heartburn. I do need to start working out properly, so far I'm only walking for 1/2 an hour per day and that's not enough. Still this operation has turned my life around and I'm very grateful for it.

Your reflux didn't get worse with the sleeve? My surgeon is recommending i get bypass not sleeve because of my reflux. He said one side effect of the sleeve is it can make reflux worse, but bypass can eliminate it.. just curious!! Im still about 5 months preop

Sent from my SM-G935P using the BariatricPal App

@@emmapat14 I know you weren't asking me, but I had Gerd before sleeve, and afterward it went away for a long time.

It just came back again about 6 months ago, so maybe 22 months post-sleeve.

For now I'm able to control it with just pepcid ac 2 x a day. I'm not sure what the future holds but for now I'm still glad I had sleeve.

Sent from my SM-N910T using the BariatricPal App

@@emmapat14 I know you weren't asking me, but I had Gerd before sleeve, and afterward it went away for a long time.

It just came back again about 6 months ago, so maybe 22 months post-sleeve.

For now I'm able to control it with just pepcid ac 2 x a day. I'm not sure what the future holds but for now I'm still glad I had sleeve.

My reflux has been awful, my doctor said that the sleeve can intensify or bring on reflux. That is the main reason that i am now considering bypass over sleeve. I don't want that to be a deciding factor, but id love to be rid of the reflux, or atleast not have it be worse!

Sent from my SM-G935P using the BariatricPal App

Mine before surgery was very bad but about 97 percent controlled with ppi. If yours is not able to really be controlled now, I'm sure your doc is right to recommend bypass for you.

I started BMI 34.

Immediately pre op I was 32

Now almost 4 weeks after my BMI is 29

I still have roughly 30 to 40 pounds to lose to be within normal BMI targets

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@emmapat14 My Dr had explained that it was safer to do a bypass because of my acidity issues. I chose to go with the sleeve because I was very worried about my body's ability to gain nutrition if I had a bypass. Also if the acidity became worse with the sleeve, I could have a revision to a bypass if it became absolutely necessary . I decided to risk that the hiatal hernia repair would get rid of the reflux issues, it was a gamble and i got lucky. Hope that helps, all the best :-)

Edited by linah

I had GERDS prior and sleeved 12/16 and so far it's been good with no discomfort at all. Maybe because I'm not having any of the worst "trigger" foods or drinks. Hoping it doesn't get bad down the road as I'm reading is the case for some.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App