Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 17 days post-op and I am soooo constipated, any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I tried lots but Dulcolax was the only thing that worked for me.

Drink as much as you can as that will really help too.

Congrats on the surgery !! :)

My mom is a pharmacist, and I recently also experienced a bout of Constipation.< /p>

I had been using magnesium citrate capsules, but stopped at her urging. Apparently these are no better than senna laxatives and will ultimately compound the problem.

She recommends Colace (or generic) as it is safer for long term use. It will not cause the same muscle laziness that senna laxatives are famous for.

If far immediate relief you seek, a glycerine suppository and a mineral oil enema are your best bets. If you've had any painful, dry BMs recently DO NOT use a saline enema (ask me how I know) as your neighbours will end up dialling 911 when they hear your shrieking.

Basically, we don't eat enough substance to produce BMs as we did before, which can lead to stools hanging out too long in the large intestine and becoming too dry to move on their own. Drinking Water and eating fat will help BMs move smoother, but if you are already backed up you likely need some help to get things moving first.

Forgot to add.... I have ulcerated colitis and being constipated is a godsend BUT it's becoming painful. Thx for the suggestions!!!

Anyone try Miralax?

I'm on day 22 post op and have only had 1 bm. It was day 14 after 1 dose of miralax. I've had 5 doses since and no BM. I may have to try an enema. I feel horrible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using the BariatricPal App

I take the dulcolax and colace, but the thing that worked best for me is either lactose free milk or a suppository.

Sent from my SM-G925T using the BariatricPal App

Make some asparagus Soup. Instead of using the heavy creams, use 1 percent milk and 4 tablespoons of half and half. I ate this faithfully and used the restroom with no problem. Don't buy it already made because it's very fattening as they use heavy creams to make it.

Edited by Kimkim