Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If we could block people I would end up with about ten people. Lipstick Lady would be our supreme leader and Babbs would wear a crown. I agree the site was not designed to be mean spirited but I believe just as passionately that it was never intended to facilitate the level of coddling and enabling that far outnumbers the criticism. It's fine though. The success rate is low and I intend to follow the plan. Eat shrimp and drink alcohol at day 23- you'll survive. You won't get my support or sympathy but you'll find plenty from others here.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Enabling is really the most troublesome behaviour I see.

Rather than simply comforting someone who has made a mistake, it lends the impressions that those mistakes are just fine. I read on this site for 6 months before my surgery and only joined after, once I figured I had something to contribute.

I am a discerning reader (cynical, really) so I never took it seriously when people fudged their plans and came looking for sympathy.

My mother in law is considering the surgery next fall, and I'm reluctant to recommend this forum to her because I don't want to be putting out fires all the time.

"So-and-so said she heard from her aunt whose neighbour's cousin's friend knew a lady whose daughter's boyfriend's mother had such-and-such a problem"

Or

"Can I eat ______ at 1 week? So and so did!"

Very true! Every person IS different though. For example, I read the stories on here about the pain and problems and nausea people have 2, 3, 4 even 6 months out...i experienced NONE of that. Like this surgery and recovery, to me, has been EASY and at times it's difficult for me to wrap my head around all the problems that I read on here. I signed up for this site YEARS before I had the surgery...and at one point i almost chickened out because of the horror stories. I'm so glad I didn't and wish I had done it YEARS ago. Sure, learning the sleeve is an adjustment...and I had ONE time where I ate then drank too much Water right after and puked, but i LEARNED A LESSON. Now i know i can't and WON'T do that ever again! I'm 4 months out...I have red wine from time to time. Big deal. I get hammered now after ONE glass, so it's not like I'm drinking a bottle (and it takes me nearly 45 minutes to drink it) but it's ALL about moderation. This sleeve has helped me FINALLY develop will power and self control with food that i struggled with for so long.

Alright Hammer Down gets to be on the snarky team too, lol!

I'm fairly new on this site (sleeved in Nov) and read almost everything. I don't think snarky is the proper description for any of you in my opinion. Some people look for validation for going off plan because that's what they were used to prior to wls. But when someone else says not to go off plan, maybe they don't realize it called tough love...so to speak.

Let me just say first and foremost that I respect every vet on here who doesn't sugar coat anything and doesn't coddle and baby people who come here seeking validation for their poor choices. I'm waiting for approval from my insurance company to be sleeved, but I have learned soooooo much from reading these threads and will forever be grateful for the people who have had success but still stick around to help others with their journeys. That being said, I find it quite amusing when someone come here seeking validation and kind words for something they know they shouldn't have done and get upset when they get the cold, hard truth from someone who's already been there and done that. I haven't even been sleeved yet but I know better than to come here asking if tacos and steak is ok to be eating 1 week post op. Let's be serious. I would rather have my feelings hurt by the truth than to be comforted by a lie.

Alright Hammer Down gets to be on the snarky team too, lol!

I've been called much worse. I'll wear "snarky" as a badge of honour.

Wait....is shrimp not okay?

Sent from my SM-G930T using the BariatricPal App

This is a response to a thread started about someone's first real meal 23 days after surgery containing fried shrimp, shrimp scampi, creamy shrimp Pasta, rice and an alcoholic beverage.

Edited by clc9

This is a response to a thread started about someone's first real meal 23 days after surgery containing fried shrimp, shrimp scampi, creamy shrimp Pasta, rice and an alcoholic beverage.

Dang. That sounds good, although it would 1 of each shrimp and i'd be too full for Pasta, rice or any beverage.

I avoid most of those posts. I had basically zero issues post-op. My biggest issue has been raging hormones which no one else seems to post about. I can't relate to people with pain or nausea issues, so I just skip those posts. My whole recovery has been so easy and for the most part I feel so normal, I forget I even had surgery some days.

Very true! Every person IS different though. For example, I read the stories on here about the pain and problems and nausea people have 2, 3, 4 even 6 months out...i experienced NONE of that. Like this surgery and recovery, to me, has been EASY and at times it's difficult for me to wrap my head around all the problems that I read on here.

I'm still waiting for my surgery. I'm not a young kid, and I've been around the block more than once...

The way i look at this site is this, I ask questions, read the answers, store what i feel like i need, and toss the rest in the "trash".

I'm so thankful for this support, I'm so thankful for those who are on the same page as me and those who've gone before. Sometimes i laugh, sometimes i just skip over.

There's no reason tho take offense. We're all here for the same reasons.

50 year old me!!

I've started assuming anyone offended is just hangry