Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It's like voting.... It's personal!

I just read a response from someone on my thread who said that Bypass and Sleeve choices should be a personal choice and they really were right about that! Lol I just wish I had of seen that bit of advice when texting to my sister in-law who will be sleeved on 1/31 and she wanted to know why the Bypass for me since again "you're not that big" so I listed my reasons to the Bypass vs the sleeve for ME and she stopped texting.

I'm not saying that the Sleeve is a bad choice but I know of a few people who have been sleeved and two years later they want a revision and they are trying to get approvals or they are trying to diet like they did post opp and losing the battle.

I have heard from several people that they wish that they would of had the RNY over the Sleeve but I have never heard or seen anyone post about having the RNY and wishing that they had Sleeved instead...

So my pre-opp appointment will be 1/16 and I will ask the surgeon about the mini RNY as well.

I love this site. I haven't even been on Facebook as much!! Lol

Thank you all for your comments and truths.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@danithomas

One of the reasons for revision post sleeve is sometimes gerd gets very bad and RNY will cure it. When you suffer from gerd and it is at its worse, you have to do something to resolve it or it causes damage. Many doctors will recommend RNY, others leave it up to the patient and they choose the sleeve because they believe it to be less invasive. A lot of patients never had gerd and the sleeve because of its design will then cause it. Keep in mind that many are able to treat the gerd and the sleeve is just fine.

The sleeve is a fantastic surgery and there are many people on this site alone that have been successful in losing just as much weight as the RNY.

My gerd was so severe that RNY was definately the best option for me. Best of all, I am 2 years + post op and have not had a single episode of Gerd.

I agree that it is a personal choice. A surgeon also may suggest one surgery over the other due to GERD, ulcers, history of blood clots, etc....I went in this with the bypass on my mind..but, decided on the sleeve( I'm preop).

I know two classmates whom had the bypass surgery over 10 years ago and they both reached their goal weight. However as of today's date both have gained their weight back and some. What I did notice about them is their mental stability about overeating had not changed. I've seen them overeat and get sick and I've seen them become closet eaters.....The weight is controlled by the mind!!!....Both surgeries are a quick fix....it's really up to you!

Sent from my SM-G935T using the BariatricPal App

@@10stackzz

You are right about the mind being so important. I believe that having bariatric surgery is 10% about the surgery and 90% about the head games regardless of which surgery you choose.

I don't think it is a quick fix though.... at least not for me.

@@Djmohr --

Re your post #5, not a quick fix for anyone. Think of the many newcomers whose posts clearly show that they expect surgery to be a magical cure up to and including elimination of the need to be alert forever after when maintaining.

As a lapbander, I know that many BP members have revised from it to either sleeve or bypass. A while back I thought I might be a candidate, but so far, so good. The whole revision thing can be is confusing. About four years ago I met a woman who had bypass surgery and revised to band. I wish I could recall the reason she gave. It may be that another person here in BP revised to band, too.

@@10stackzz, did you mean that, without vigilance, surgery may be a temp fix rather than a quick one? I was never clear on what "quick fix" means in any regard.

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

We also have to make decisions based on how compliant our personality is. That is why I chose the most drastic measure of Duodenal Switch. It had the best long term weight loss results.

Ugh people shouldn't ask adult questions if they are not prepared to hear an adult answer.

11/11/16: HW 380

11/28/16: Duodenal Switch Surgery

11/28/16: SW 374 lbs

1/6/17: CW 337 lbs

"I'm not saying that the Sleeve is a bad choice but I know of a few people who have been sleeved and two years later they want a revision and they are trying to get approvals or they are trying to diet like they did post opp and losing the battle."

@@danithomas

I just wanted to say that most that are successful post surgery do not think of their meals as a diet (other than the first couple weeks of liquid post op)

Having WLS of any kind requires diligence around eating a high Protein, lower carb well balanced food plan.

For me it got a lot easier when I stopped thinking of my new life as a diet that I had to follow and focused more on the foods that make me feel good, lose or maintain weight and look good.

I know that if I though of this as a diet, i personally would fail. I say this because I really was a professional dieter before my RNY. I would go on a diet and lose lots of weight. (80lbs was my biggest loss on Atkins) and then I would go off the plan and start eating what I thought was normal. I literally would gain all of my weight back and then some.

Most folks that have been through this have similar stories.

For me, the 9 months leading up to surgery were critical. It allowed me to change my thinking and many of my bad habits. Don't get me wrong I still have some bad habits like eating while watching TV or working on my computer. I am so thankful now for that time because it really helped me.

That does not mean that I don't get off track because I clearly have. For example I allowed myself to stop tracking my food through the holidays and I gained 7lbs. Now it is taking forever to get that weight back off. It is simply hard to get back on track.

Because I am having surgery in 12 days I don't want to try the pouch reset honestly because it will happen then. And of course when you are having plastics they don't want you to make such a drastic change to your food plan right before. If I were not having surgery I would probably use the liquid diet simply to reset myself.

When I allow more carbs/sugar into my system, I then begin craving them and therefore eating more of them. So, I know the liquid diet would detox me from that in just a few days.

So for now, I am simply back on track by eating my high Protein, lower carb diet and reducing any bad carbs that I let in over the holidays. That will allow me to maintain and possibly even lose a bit of weight.

I'm not saying that the Sleeve is a bad choice but I know of a few people who have been sleeved and two years later they want a revision and they are trying to get approvals or they are trying to diet like they did post opp and losing the battle.

I only know two people in my circle who have had WLS. Both had RNY bypass and both are currently quite overweight years after surgery. So adding to your experiences of seeing sleeve patients regain, people with bypass can eat around their operations too. Really focusing on developing and maintaining good eating habits is key no matter which operation we get!