Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So the honeymoon is over?

@@Momcat - Here is a study that shows something very important:

As a person becomes fitter and gains muscle mass, it is correct that he or she burns more calories at rest. However, some exercise enthusiasts have insufficient energy intakes, which do not meet the demands of their exercise programs. This imbalance may eventually reduce resting metabolic rate.

https://www.unm.edu/~lkravitz/Article%20folder/metabolismcontroversy.html

@@JamieLogical is correct muscle uses more energy than fat, but this summary states that it is not particularly significant.(50 calories a day). But over the course of a year, it adds up. But don't think you will see weight loss results quickly. But there are other plusses, including making loose skin look better.

As a new sleever, I'm wondering how I'm supposed to keep my calories up (I'm getting less than 500 in) when I can hardly get any food in. I'm just meeting my Protein and fluid goals can't imagine eating or drinking any more. Also, the doc has severely limited my exercise to gentle walking. Are you talking in regards to right after surgery or later on when you are more healed and approved to eat all and exercise?

You will eventually. It is important to watch your calories and Protein the next two months. Read the article on metabolism and it might motivate you. Just remember Protein first always.

Thanks so much for the information!!!

@@Momcat - You are quite welcome. We are here to help you succeed, as others who came before me helped me out.

@@vegbeth It takes time. Getting your Protein and Water in should be your top priorities and definitely don't go overboard with exercise until you are eating enough calories to sustain it. You will just work on gradually increasing your calories as you get further out from surgery. I wasn't even on solid foods until 30 days post-op. But I did push pretty hard to get up over 800 calories right after that so I could start doing some longer walks and then 1100 calories so I could start running and strength training. Once you are over 1000 a day, you should be able to start doing more serious exercise and just gradually increasing your calories as you increase your workout intensity.

@@JamieLogical I can't wait to get back to working out! I don't have the energy now but I still have the desire. Kind of like I can't eat anything but still have the cravings! This early part of the healing process has taken away my one healthy coping mechanism. I keep reminding myself it's only temporary.

@@vegbeth - I was cleared to go back to gym after 4 weeks. I just did light workouts for two weeks and then week 6 started kicking things up. I worked with my NUT to make sure my diet was adequate for the extra work. I only increased my weights 10% per week until I hit failure and then would wait two weeks to check if I could do 10% more.

This will go by like a flash. The hardest part was week three with mush. I hate eating that slow, and had to use a plate warmer to keep my food less than horrible. But it was important to teach my stomach to eat again.

You're absolutely right. It is a tool that does not go away just because someone loses focus. I got more "comfortable" with my diet around maybe 2 years post op, and that is a slippery slope. I was able to regain focus and lose the 15 pounds I regained. I didn't do any "reset" or "diet" necessarily. I just returned to the basics. It's amazing to me how cutting out the simple carbs and increasing Protein makes you feel fuller longer and even in the days after you feel more restriction, have more energy, better motivation, etc. It's a cycle either in a positive or negative way. For me, most of it is a mental/emotional battle, and getting myself in the right place with my coping mechanisms.

Quick question - I was a runner as well until they discovered that I had bladder prolapse, rectum prolapse and uterine prolapse. I'm not able to get the surgery to fix my prolapsed fixed until three months after my sleeve (I was sleeved in December, prolapse surgery date set for April).

My question is, I'm two weeks post op and won't be able to exercise until June at the earliest (if I will be able to resume my normal routine). Is the only way to preserve my muscles to hike up my intake of Protein higher than 100?

I don't want to wilt but I also don't want to further damage my body.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Quick question - I was a runner as well until they discovered that I had bladder prolapse, rectum prolapse and uterine prolapse. I'm not able to get the surgery to fix my prolapsed fixed until three months after my sleeve (I was sleeved in December, prolapse surgery date set for April).

My question is, I'm two weeks post op and won't be able to exercise until June at the earliest (if I will be able to resume my normal routine). Is the only way to preserve my muscles to hike up my intake of Protein higher than 100?

I don't want to wilt but I also don't want to further damage my body.

If you can't exercise at all, you are probably going to lose some muscle. Can you at least walk? What about any form of strength training? Definitely keeping your Protein up will help at least.

@@Maidenhaze - My GF has some serious knee issues (too many years of marathons). She was able to put together some serious exercises with the help of a physical therapist while she is recovering from her surgery. Sports PT people are great resources.

I can't do anything to strengthen my core, which surprisingly is most exercises. I may be able to use a stationary bike but walking is okay as long as there are no hills and not prolonged period of time.

@@Maidenhaze - that would drive me nuts, though I do enjoy my walks more that HITT training. I wish you a speedy recovery following your next procedure.