Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Does It Work?

So I have been approved for surgery on 1/16 (gastric bypass). I have a very simple question but I think the answer will be complex. What about a RNY makes you eat less? Are you full faster? Are you not hungry? Are you having food aversions? Some of all of these?

I would love to hear your story about how the tool works for you...thanks!

Well I had mine done in August 24 2016 and there are things I still can't eat and when I try different things I cant have yet and when I try something and.my stomach start hurting I stop eating it any time I eat I can only eat a few bite and done so I dont push it.you will be happy because you changeed your eating habits good luck on.your jounary

Sent from my 5054N using the BariatricPal App

RNY leaves with a golf ball size pouch for a stomach. It also reroutes your intestines on purpose to promote malabsorbtion so you don't absorb all of the food you do eat.

For me, it has been a wonderful experience and a great tool to help me control my eating. I am 28 months post op so I can eat more than right after surgery but maybe I can eat 1 cup to 1 1/2 cups of food depending on what it is. If it is dense meat, I can eat just two to 3 ounces and I am full and stay full longer.

With RNY, the hunger does come back after the nerves regrow however it is not that gnawing hunger that I had before surgery. Also, just a few bites and I am full again.

I love that I was able to have this surgery and lose all my weight and I love that so many others on this site have had the same success both with RNY and the sleeve.

Best of luck to you!

For me, soon 7 weeks out, I have a lot of things reducing my eating. Here are a few of my reasons:

- I'm simply not hungry and forget to eat sometimes

- the restriction of my pouch makes all my meals very small

- I dump on all sweet foods in tiny amounts and even all fast/simple carbs if I don't have enough Proteins with them

- I have to eat enough Proteins every day and I don't have room for bad choices

- I drink all the time and have to plan my eating around it, so unplanned Snacks never happen

- foods taste different, I don't even care for sweet foods like yogurt, I would rather have something salty

I have to use an app to track my diet, otherwise I end up eating and drinking way too little. My fitness pal is a very good app for this, if you aren't using one yet.

Good luck to you!

Nilla

@@mrsNilla

Nice recap of life right after surgery. Oh what I would give to be back at the stage where I would forget to eat.

You are right, those first few weeks, you literally have to keep track of what you drink and or eat, or you don't get enough.

Congratulations on your surgery!

Weight loss is achieved after surgery through meal volume control. You begin at 2 ounces (1/4 cup) per meal and gradually over the next year and a half increase the volume to 1 cup per meal. With this minuscule amount of food, it is next to impossible to meet your Protein daily requirements by food alone, so therefore you need to rely on supplements such as Protein shakes.

I had my surgery 8/16/16 and still haven't truly been "hungry". I eat small portions and had to learn to listen to my body's cues to know when my new stomach has had enough. One bite too many makes me very sick and I want to avoid that at all costs. It's been a great tool for me and I'm very happy with my decision. Best of luck with your surgery!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I had my surgery 7/21/16. One thing I love is getting content faster. After a few bites I'm good. I have no cravings, even at holidays none of the food looks that Good to me. I had no interest in sweets, I actually lost six pounds over Christmas lol. I think one thing is to listen to your pouch, when you are done...don't take another bite! All I really ever want is salad now.

Sent from my SM-G925V using the BariatricPal App

This is a great thread to open! I had my RNY on January the third so I'm almost ready (my body that is, my mind was ready last week!) for solid food finally. I am really hungry and can hardly wait to actually eat something that will stick to my ribs a bit longer as the shakes aren't lasting long enough anymore. I do want to give my pouch time to heal, but my body is telling me that 370 calories a day is not enough. Especially if I get up fast, bend over, or go for a walk- I get light-headed and very weak!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App