Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 4 months post op and struggling with meals. While I eat chicken/fish/pork/beef/turkey it doesn't sit very well and I can only get down a few small bites. I've started a bad habit of supplementing with crackers because they go down so easy......even though I know they offer no Protein, not much in the way of nourishment are a bad substitute for Protein.

Anyone have any suggestions for little mini-meals that are high in protein? I'm really drawn towards the "creamy things" like Soups and casserole type dishes but know they are high in calories and typically low in protein.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much!

Use fair life milk as a snack. 13g in 8oz. Cottage cheese and Greek yogurt is good. I make chicken salad with Greek yogurt for the extra Protein. You could also add egg to chicken salad for a boost.

I'm a lap band to sleeve revision. With my lap band, I struggled with solid Proteins. They would get stuck and be uncomfortable to the point of vomiting. I learned to rely on crackers, chips, creamy things. All the way up to 378 lbs. I ate around the band. I suspect you can eat around the sleeve too. I'd go see my nutritionist asap and find solutions that will help you not hinder your progress. I'd even rely on Protein drinks before crackers and such. Treat those things like poison. That's my experience anyway.

Dee Dee

yup....stay away from those crackers. They are a slider food and as you said add zero nutritional value, cause you to crave more carbs.

Depending on the type of meat, i still (28 months out) can only eat a couple of ounces and I am full. That dense Protein however keeps me fuller longer than anything else I eat.

I like variety in my meals and have always been given advice by my nut to eat a well balanced meal. 2 bites of Protein for every one bite of good carbs like veggies and fruit.< /p>

It does not mean that I always do it but I am telling you from personal experience it really is the best advice. I like you, tend to want to go for those mixed dishes and of course like you love crackers. They will ultimately stall you and honestly you will have issues with your nutrition in the long run.

I have been in maintenance since March. Since Thanksgiving when i allowed myself some of those foods that I shouldn't I have gained 7lbs in just about 8 weeks. It will catch up with you and it is a lot harder to get back on track once you let them in because they call to you.

Suggestions for other things besides dense protein is cottage cheese, ricotta, greek yogurt, cheese, refried Beans (yuck).

Try making some homemade beef stew or Stoup as Rachel Ray calls it. The heartier the better and minimize the potato or leave it out completely. That sort of meal fills me up, keeps me full longer and meets the protein and veggie criteria. I also make a beef barley Soup.

Hope you are able to make the transition. In the end it is worth it.

I had Soup tonight for dinner. I added 30g of unflavored Protein Powder to a 12oz batch and froze what I didn't eat for later. I can't taste the powder whatsoever.

Just whisk it in and you'll never know it's there.

Edited by White Sale

Thank you for all the suggestions. The Fair Life Milk has been so helpful! I had never heard of it and feel excited about the 13 grams of Protein per cup with minimal sugar..........yippee!

It's so amazing how supportive and helpful everyone has been throughout this process. It's nice to have a forum where we can share ideas, information and solutions. Heartfelt thanks to everyone.

How about some fat free refried Beans (I like the refried black beans) with some plain Greek yogurt (tastes like sour cream and has protein), salsa, some lean ground beef and a bit of cheese. Keep it lean with ingredients, but Beans have protein! Maybe with a few "juicier" ingredients the bit of ground beef will sit better?

I created a high Protein, low sugar custard-like dessert that tastes like coconut cream pie, if you are interested in sweet. Easily 10-15g Protein in 1/4c. (I'm in soft solids stage so I'm working on recipes!)

SW:327 CW:239 GW:155

Heather in Texas

I had Soup tonight for dinner. I added 30g of unflavored Protein powder to a 12oz batch and froze what I didn't eat for later. I can't taste the powder whatsoever.

I'd love to know what protein powder you use. I tried putting hot Water in my regular shake it the protein changed into rubbery clumps. I tried adding a couple unflavoured protein powders to Soups and found that they tasted sweet or nutty. Definitely looking to find a solid protein powder for soups!

Try non-spicey Butter chicken (it's not high in fat like it sounds), it's SOO good. I make it by hand but there are some fair grocery store versions. I'm in CA though so it's easier for me to get indian food.

Really, if I were you I would start looking at vegetarian recipes. before the surgery I purchased a number of these books and most of them have vegetarian sections. All of them are high Protein low carb centric obviously. Stay AWAY from the crackers!! lol! They will sabotage you so fast your head will spin.

These have some great vegitarian recipies:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=bariatric+cookbooks&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Abariatric+cookbooks

My favorite is:

https://www.amazon.com/Eating-Well-After-Weight-Surgery/dp/1569244537/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484957153&sr=8-1&keywords=bariatric+cookbooks

You can probably find them cheaper elsewhere, this was just a good way of finding all of them for you to see.

Edited by LittleLizzieLilliput

I had Soup tonight for dinner. I added 30g of unflavored Protein powder to a 12oz batch and froze what I didn't eat for later. I can't taste the powder whatsoever.

I'd love to know what Protein powder you use. I tried putting hot Water in my regular shake it the Protein changed into rubbery clumps. I tried adding a couple unflavoured protein powders to Soups and found that they tasted sweet or nutty. Definitely looking to find a solid protein powder for soups!

I use Isopure Unflavored or Syntrax Medical Unflavored. I add just enough room temp Water to dissolve it, then add it to the Soup. That way it won't be clumpy, unless you reheat it.