Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELP! Freaking out - need honest feedback

Yes I had pain. I'm not going to sugar coat that, but did I survive? Of course. I think your level of "tolerance" depends on how melodramatic you are ????

Sent from my SM-J700P using the BariatricPal App

Today makes a week since I've had the surgery. And I don't mean to scare anyone. And everyone of course is different, but for me the pain from the surgery did not hurt. I was just a little sore from being cut. Now the worst part was the gas pains. But it was minimal. At times it would get stuck in my shoulders. Or hurt a lot. But you just have to walk walk walk ! Trust me you may think you can't walk. Or it hurts to walk. But it's only going to make it better. Also the gas x peppermint strips. That dissolve in your mouth work wonders. Heating pads Also helped me tremendously! You make think getting the surgery was a horrible decision ( I did a few time ) but it only gets easier. Trust me it's well worth pushing through the gas pains and being strong. I already lost 15 pounds since I've been home. I know you can do it!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I had my surgery 2 weeks ago. I had some discomfort in my shoulders in the hospital from the gas but that's it.

MEANWHILE, I have lost 21 pounds (first weigh in was this morning) since surgery and NOTHING is as painful as weighing 265 lbs (now 244).

Lose the group they are not a positive in yourl ife.

I woke up in some pain on my right side where my stomach was pulled through the large incision, once I got pain meds I was off and running. No gas pain, and it just felt like I'd worked out my abs too much getting in and out of bed. I was showering and walking the halls (not at the same time) the next day no problem. I ended up with a Migraine for some unknown reason which was much worse than any surgical pain I had.

My nausea was so terrible (stayed two nights) that the gas pain didn't do anything to me. My incisions were the worst part. Right when you wake up it's terrible but will go away. Everyone is different though, when I had my gallbladder out a year ago the gas pain was terrible for a week

I also didn't rate my pain high enough. I've had debilitating Migraines my whole life, so my pain tolerance is pretty high. In hindsight, I should've called my 5 an 8when I first woke up. By the end of the evening I was sitting around a 5 or 6, and was down to a 4 the next day and went home that evening.

Think of it this way: Who gets more sympathy and attention from strangers? The person who has intolerable pain and suffering or the one who had pain which could be managed by meds and walking as prescribed? Who is more likely to post online?

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Its the exact same thing that veteran moms do to first time prego's. If you really want to be a support, give the positives and the encouragement...not the worst case scenario. Women especially (not all) LOVE to level someone. One up them to the point of no return. That does not sound like a support group it sounds like a gripe fest.

My gas pain was uncomfortable but extremely manageable.I would say a 6/10 on the pain scale and only lasted a day or so.

I had no gas pain. Surgeon said he does try to get it out before closing everything. Whatever pain I might have experienced was well managed in hospital and like others I walked several hours after getting to my room. Only pain at home was the muscle by largest incision but it was tolerable. Can't even remember how long I felt it.

I was sleeved 9/19. It wasn't bad for me. I had a hiatal hernia repair too. The worst of it came about 30 hours after surgery. When I started walking again more frequently it subsided. Hang in there. Every ones pain tolerance is different. If the group freaks you out then unsubscribe.

I had has pains after my surgery and still have gas now but more belching and indigestion than anything I still take Gerd meds and protonix it helps some but I still suffer though but that just me. But go for it the best decision ever.

Sent from my LG-K330 using the BariatricPal App

Hi all. My surgery is Jan 20, and I'm in a Facebook group with others having sleeve surgery in January. The ones that have already had the procedure are describing horrible pain from gas. I have yet to read somebody who said it was tolerable. Everyone is in excruciating pain for the first few days, some even staying in the hospital 3 nights.

Does anybody have a surgery story where the pain was bearable? I know it's going to be painful, but I'm not ready for the blinding pain that's being described by others. Help! I'm freaking out!!

The pain is usually only horrible if you lay flat. Make sure you walk as much as you can. When you get sleepy and want to lay down, request Dilaudid. It will take the edge off. Don't worry, hon. It will be ok! :)

@@minervaxx6

I had RNY and had a great experience. The gas pains were the worst of it but honestly if you know how to deal with it, it is very tolerable.

What worked for me was walking as much as possible. I literally was out of bed immediately out of recovery. When not walking they gave me hot packs to place on my belly and once I got home I used the heating pad.

After day two we added Gas x which helps when your bowels start working again which can be uncomforatble.

I honestly had discomfort, no real pain. I had surgery on monday, went home on wed and took my last pain medicine on thursday. I seriously had no real pain.

I do have a high tolerance for pain but this really was not a big deal. Getting used to your new lifestyle was much harder than the pain itself. Sipping Water and getting all your Protein is what is the hardest the first few days.