Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My horrible experience at a restaurant.

oh dear, feel free to block me maybe you can review me on Facebook then spend a whole day whining about me here on BP. Seems like YOU have way to much time on YOUR hands!
I have the right to complain about a BUSINESS. You obviously have a lot of pent up anger. There's medicine for that.

@@Aggiemae I have extra if you need some. My don't make manda mad pills come doubled for incase I need to take two instead of one.

I can understand asking about the charge, I question anything on a receipt when I don't know what it is. Where I live a lot of place have a plate share charge on their menu. I always buy a meal and take home the leftovers.

I have never heard of one, until now, of course! :P One of the nicest restaurants in my area doesn't even charge a split fee, so I had no idea this existed. And yeah, at some places, I do take home the leftovers. It's a nice way to have dinner that night and maybe lunch the next day. :)

Just to add on to this thread here. I have encountered many more waiters and waitresses than I can remember. Some of them are not the brightest, but just about all of them are motivated to provide good service. There have been a few, though, who have received my ire...

Mrs. LittleBill is extremely sensitive to gluten. All it takes is a few milligrams to make her sick for days. And it isn't like she is feigning it. It's the kind of thing where she will become ill, and then we have do to some forensic work to figure out what she ate that caused it.

We've had waitresses ask if she wants white bread since she is allergic to wheat. We have had them theorize that the heat from the deep fryer will kill the gluten, rendering it harmless. We get all kinds of cockamamie stuff.

Fast forward to bariatric surgery. I can't drink and eat at the same time. I can't eat most of what is on my plate at any restaurant. I can't even try to 'splain it to the server, because it is a lost cause, and it really isn't any of their business. So here is what I do.

First, I order Water for my drink. I can even sip some of it depending on how long it is going to take them to produce the food. Second, I order something that is bariatric friendly - i.e. Protein rich and very little, if any bad carbs. And I plan to take at least half of it home.

Finally, I deflect any questions by saying that my satisfaction will be reflected in my tip. I am a generous tipper. These people work hard, for very little pay, and often for people who have an entitlement attitude. It costs me very little to give them a few extra dollars, and they remember me the next time I come in. And, servers share information about customers. In the diners we frequent, even the noob waitresses treat us well. Part of that comes from being nice to them, but part comes from the veterans saying, "These are good people". Word really does get around, on both sides.

@@theantichick I can relate. Way back in 1999, we went camping in Gettysburg. We got in late because of a number of things, so my parents took us all out to eat at one of the local diners. It was awful. It was so awful that after 45 minutes after taking our order, we still had no food. Our youngest daughter was all of 7 years old, and was practically crying from hunger.

After a couple of complaints, our waitress came out to announce that she didn't really like this job, and was looking for something else. I was ready to kill and cook her. Then the manager came out to apologize for the waitress, who I hope was fired by that time. But she wasn't. We survived. I had to bite my tongue to the point where I thought my teeth would met in the middle, because Mom and Dad were paying. It was hard, but we are all still alive, and doing well. I do not know bout that waitress. She is probably living on welfare now.

I haven't seen all of this posting on a situation. But now I am going to stir the pot some more. As far as WL peeps getting extra or getting a break because we can't eat as much as others. I feel like it is wrong to get special treatment at a restaurant or even having your insurance pay for our Vitamins. We all opted to have WLS and we all went into it with our eyes wide open. Knowing that we would need Vitamins and only be able to eat smaller than others. Why should we get special treatment? If we can't afford the vitamins then maybe we shouldn't have the surgery., or if we can't take the leftovers home then by all means don't order the food. Now I know I will step on some toes here but this is just how I feel. Yes, we all want to be as normal as we can but...we have changed right. Have a great day!!

Do you have the Bariatric Patient card? If not, you should get one and keep it with you whenever you dine out. I've never been told I can't order from the kids menu or pay the kids price at a buffet.

Is this a real thing and where did you get one? Seems like a great idea!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

post-298301-14837553432653_thumb.jpg

My bariatric team gave me this when I attended the 4 hour nutrition class. Ask your team of they can provide a card for you. Personally, I never thought of using it like an AAA discount card????

Sent from my SM-J700P using the BariatricPal App

I haven't seen all of this posting on a situation. But now I am going to stir the pot some more. As far as WL peeps getting extra or getting a break because we can't eat as much as others. I feel like it is wrong to get special treatment at a restaurant or even having your insurance pay for our Vitamins. We all opted to have WLS and we all went into it with our eyes wide open. Knowing that we would need vitamins and only be able to eat smaller than others. Why should we get special treatment? If we can't afford the vitamins then maybe we shouldn't have the surgery., or if we can't take the leftovers home then by all means don't order the food. Now I know I will step on some toes here but this is just how I feel. Yes, we all want to be as normal as we can but...we have changed right. Have a great day!!

Feel free to read some of my responses and you will clearly see that I never expect special treatment. I just expect to be treated in a polite manner. Thank you. :)

Alot of restaurants add a split fee that I've worked in, it's not them cutting the burger for you , they charge the fee because you only ordered one meal and there were two of you, I feel it's very unfair. One time when I wasn't having weight problems I knew I couldn't eat a regular cheeseburger at McDonald's so I ordered a happy meal, it's a little bit smaller portion the cashier said she couldn't sell me a happy meal unless I had a child with me. I called the manager and I got my way but I was insulted by the fact that they thought they could get away with that, and if the waiter didn't tell you about the split fee charge ahead of time you are not required to pay it. I would ask first next time you want to split food .

When I am not happy about a service somewhere, I simply don't go there anymore. If you chose to speak to someone about it and figured that instead of the situation getting better, it was getting worse, you should have saved yourself your sanity and just left and never went back again.

I don't get mad in public and when I do, it is not a wise idea to open my mouth unless doing so fixes the problem.

What is more important?? Sanity or three dollars??

Edited by Lema

I not only expect split fees but have frequently encountered a per person minimum. I don't like to waste food by ordering more than I can consume (and I hate leftovers) but I feel worse taking up space in a nice restaurant that could go to someone paying to eat there. I'm sorry you felt you were treated poorly, that's never a good experience. I have to agree with earlier comments that never returning is best justice. Allowing your friends to make nasty comments isn't appropriate. I'd prefer not to sell my character for $3 by overreacting.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Seriously? I'm absolutely bewildered at all this valuable energy expended towards a $3 split fee. A "horrible" restaurant experience? You enjoyed the food by your own admission. If you had enjoyed it more would that have changed your opinion? Probably not. While I agree the manager could have handled this better, this IS absolutely done all the time in better restaurants. Believe me, as a previous restaurant owner, your refusal to go back would have been music to my ears and worth every penny of the $3.00. Not every business wants you as a customer.

Seriously? I'm absolutely bewildered at all this valuable energy expended towards a $3 split fee. A "horrible" restaurant experience? You enjoyed the food by your own admission. If you had enjoyed it more would that have changed your opinion? Probably not. While I agree the manager could have handled this better, this IS absolutely done all the time in better restaurants. Believe me, as a previous restaurant owner, your refusal to go back would have been music to my ears and worth every penny of the $3.00. Not every business wants you as a customer.

I'm so glad SOMEBODY finally stated the obvious!! I used to own a restaurant also and this kind of customer gave me a headache just seeing them walk in!! Seriously people, double dishes, double Water, double sides etc. $3.00 is cheap! And for the manager spoke to you like that at the restaurant, something else was said! No manager starts out a conversation rudely to a customer unless some other incident or words proceeded it.

Do you have the Bariatric Patient card? If not, you should get one and keep it with you whenever you dine out. I've never been told I can't order from the kids menu or pay the kids price at a buffet.

Is this a real thing and where did you get one? Seems like a great idea!

My Dr. Office gives all his patients this card. It states that I am a patient who can't eat more than 3 oz if they could respectfully allow me to share or offer a smaller portion at a discount. I haven't used mine yet because I just typically take leftovers home but I like knowing I have it if I need it :)

Hiraeth,

I just want to clear something up, I wasn't saying that you wanted something for nothing. I don't know you. But I have been going on support sites awhile now. And you hear of people getting their Vitamins and Protein free by having their insurance pick up the tab. What happens is they think they are getting it for free but the companies are charging a HUGE amount of money. So, in the long run they might reach the maximum amount that gets paid for the year real quickly. I also hear people stating that they can't afford to buy their Vitamins and Protein stuff, which we all know that we are told right up front about what we need postop. I am sorry if I sounded mean but it really touches a nerve in me. Yes, you were treated wrong by their attitude for sure. The sad thing is I wonder if they realize that this stuff will get to many people about their policy and service!! Word of mouth can really hurt their business. Good Luck in your journey.

I'm so glad SOMEBODY finally stated the obvious!! I used to own a restaurant also and this kind of customer gave me a headache just seeing them walk in!! Seriously people, double dishes, double Water, double sides etc. $3.00 is cheap! And for the manager spoke to you like that at the restaurant, something else was said! No manager starts out a conversation rudely to a customer unless some other incident or words proceeded it.

This was not about the $3 bucks..... it was about TREATMENT.... Well i never "owned" a restaurant... but i surly worked in quite a few in my early years.... over 16 for sure... then i also did private catering.... I have seen on a number of occasions a "manager" or "owner" start a conversation rudely.... I had this happen to me

About 5 years ago i went to one of the only Thi restaurants in our town... one of which i know and worked with the owners husband... Frank (worked together for 5 years). Went to pick up my order that i called in when i got there i was informed that i couldn't pay with my debit card because the order was under $5 bucks... I said can you just charge me the $5 and be done with it... the girl said no. This meant i would have to leave, go 10 min away to the bank, get out $20, then go all the way back and pay the less than $5. Now remember, Frank.. well frank was most always there in the evenings helping his wife. My intent was to ask frank if i could give him the $5 the next day at work and he could give to his wife...Easy peasie..... (This was not un-commend, he would always take orders at work, bring the food, we would pay him and he would give her the money the next day) So i asked the young lady if "Frank was there"...... she left and went to the back and all of sudden his wife comes storming from the back and started yelling at me that ..... This was her store and that frank didn't "own" it and told me to get out of "her" restaurant and don't come back..... IN FRONT OF OTHER CUSTOMERS... I was horrified.... so i left and never went back. But i did write what happened on there FB page.... She then attacked me on the FB page. Thank goodness i was not by far the only person she had done something like this too...and others came to my aid. I talked to Frank about it and he apologized, and i of course didn't take it out on him.... I mean i didn't even get to tell her what my intent was and why i had asked for Frank.... she just yelled at me and told me to get out.... Now would I have done this in another store... NO, i would have just said... ok, sorry, cancel/keep the order and left. I mean it would not even bothered me to be charged the $5... but she wouldn't hear of it.... but a year later they were under new ownership.....

My close friend tracy happen to be on the phone with me when she came from the back and started yelling at me.... and said.... I don't know how you didn't go off on her..... I said... to be honest she caught me off guard... and i was so embarrassed that i just wanted to leave as fast as i could.

So YES.... people do act that way from the "get go".....