Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My horrible experience at a restaurant.

This is the review I left on the restaurant's Facebook.< br />
"My mom and I just ate here for lunch today, and we are not pleased. Since Bistro V's food is expensive, we decided to just split a cheeseburger. When they brought out our food, they split our burger for us. We thought that was so kind of them, and were happy with that. The burger (which was listed as $9) was pretty good, but it wasn't much different than a Five Guy's burger. We chose to eat there because we like the bread they bring out, and the atmosphere is pleasant. When we got our ticket, I noticed that the bill was over $17. So, I looked at everything and noticed that they charged us a $3 split fee! Seriously?! So we notified the waitress, who said that it was automatically put on the ticket. We said we could have just split it ourselves, and that we are not paying a split fee. She got the manager (if that's what you want to call him), and he immediately had a snobby demeanor (that could just be his personality; it probably wasn't directed towards us). He said, "Y'all have a complaint?" I told him that it wasn't necessarily a complaint, but that I just don't understand why I have to pay a split fee when we could have just split the burger ourselves. He said, "Well, when two people are seated at a table, and only order one meal, there's automatically a split charge." So, I said, "That's ridiculous. We could have just split it ourselves. Also, what if someone didn't want to eat?" So then he hesitates and says, "Well, we gave you more food." (Which is a complete lie. I've ordered the cheeseburger before, and it was exactly the same size and came with the exact same amount of fries as the last time I ordered it.) They never told us beforehand that there would be a split charge. We didn't even ask them to split it for us; we just said we were going to split it. He did not apologize and he did NOT remove the fee. He made absolutely no effort to show that he is a pleasant or professional person. He took our payment and walked off. When he came back, he said, "Have a good day..." in a snarky tone. (Again, that's probably just how he acts in general.) We will not be back. It's not the fact that it was $3; it's the fact that no one should be charged a split fee, regardless, especially when the restaurant doesn't have the decency to notify the customer before the order goes through. I left my Yelp review and noticed that someone else complained about the split fee. They said that there's a split fee notification on the menu. But even still, how would anyone know to look for something like that? I've never been to a restaurant that has a split fee. It's like they were being sneaky about it; like some kind of fine print scam. It's like you can't come in and sit down in peace without looking at the menu to make sure there's not a "breathing the air" fee. I shouldn't have given a single tip, but the waitress was friendly, and it wasn't her fault for what happened. So, I left a tip, anyway."

They proceeded to leave snarky replies in response. So I emailed the owner in a very professional manner. She emailed me back saying, "Yelp about it". I was shocked. I could not believe that they were refusing to handle this situation like professionals. Not only that, but the owner's friends got on my review and began insulting me personally. The owner's mother-in-law even got on there and said things along the lines of, "People of certain class know that high end restaurants charge split fees. Since when does someone go to a high end restaurant and buy only one meal?" So I said, "I recently had stomach surgery. Why would I buy a meal that I cannot finish, when I can just split it with someone?" Then, a few minutes later, the owner emailed me back and said, "We will not tolerate abuse from our customers." Since when is a complaint abuse? They claim that I insulted their employee by saying he's snarky. Well he was! Wouldn't it have been easier to just say, "I apologize for the misunderstanding."? How hard is that? When they responded to me the way they did by saying "they won't tolerate", that makes me wonder if they will try to sue me for defamation. I did my research and found that the only way they can is if I make false claims. Not a single statement was false. I'm so livid and shocked by the complete disregard for my situation.

Some of my friends got on the review and began cussing the owner's friends out, because they were insulting me. I publicly tried to contain the situation by telling them to not cuss or call names. Not once did the owner publicly try to contain her Facebook friends. Not once did I receive an apology. She even tried saying that I could have my $3 refunded to me. Why would I drive 15 minutes to get $3? Why couldn't they have just given me the refund while I was at the restaurant? I told them I didn't want the refund of $3. I said that they could just give it to my waitress, because she was actually friendly; and that if she declined, then they could donate the money to the charity of their choice.

Do you have the Bariatric Patient card? If not, you should get one and keep it with you whenever you dine out. I've never been told I can't order from the kids menu or pay the kids price at a buffet.

Nicer restaurants charge a split fee.

If you don't want to pay stuff like that there is always Applebee's.

Just because you are eating "less" does not mean you cost less to service.

Why should the restaurant or the server lose money on your table because you had WLS?

This is the review I left on the restaurant's Facebook.< /p>

"My mom and I just ate here for lunch today, and we are not pleased. Since Bistro V's food is expensive, we decided to just split a cheeseburger. When they brought out our food, they split our burger for us. We thought that was so kind of them, and were happy with that. The burger (which was listed as $9) was pretty good, but it wasn't much different than a Five Guy's burger. We chose to eat there because we like the bread they bring out, and the atmosphere is pleasant. When we got our ticket, I noticed that the bill was over $17. So, I looked at everything and noticed that they charged us a $3 split fee! Seriously?! So we notified the waitress, who said that it was automatically put on the ticket. We said we could have just split it ourselves, and that we are not paying a split fee. She got the manager (if that's what you want to call him), and he immediately had a snobby demeanor (that could just be his personality; it probably wasn't directed towards us). He said, "Y'all have a complaint?" I told him that it wasn't necessarily a complaint, but that I just don't understand why I have to pay a split fee when we could have just split the burger ourselves. He said, "Well, when two people are seated at a table, and only order one meal, there's automatically a split charge." So, I said, "That's ridiculous. We could have just split it ourselves. Also, what if someone didn't want to eat?" So then he hesitates and says, "Well, we gave you more food." (Which is a complete lie. I've ordered the cheeseburger before, and it was exactly the same size and came with the exact same amount of fries as the last time I ordered it.) They never told us beforehand that there would be a split charge. We didn't even ask them to split it for us; we just said we were going to split it. He did not apologize and he did NOT remove the fee. He made absolutely no effort to show that he is a pleasant or professional person. He took our payment and walked off. When he came back, he said, "Have a good day..." in a snarky tone. (Again, that's probably just how he acts in general.) We will not be back. It's not the fact that it was $3; it's the fact that no one should be charged a split fee, regardless, especially when the restaurant doesn't have the decency to notify the customer before the order goes through. I left my Yelp review and noticed that someone else complained about the split fee. They said that there's a split fee notification on the menu. But even still, how would anyone know to look for something like that? I've never been to a restaurant that has a split fee. It's like they were being sneaky about it; like some kind of fine print scam. It's like you can't come in and sit down in peace without looking at the menu to make sure there's not a "breathing the air" fee. I shouldn't have given a single tip, but the waitress was friendly, and it wasn't her fault for what happened. So, I left a tip, anyway."

They proceeded to leave snarky replies in response. So I emailed the owner in a very professional manner. She emailed me back saying, "Yelp about it". I was shocked. I could not believe that they were refusing to handle this situation like professionals. Not only that, but the owner's friends got on my review and began insulting me personally. The owner's mother-in-law even got on there and said things along the lines of, "People of certain class know that high end restaurants charge split fees. Since when does someone go to a high end restaurant and buy only one meal?" So I said, "I recently had stomach surgery. Why would I buy a meal that I cannot finish, when I can just split it with someone?" Then, a few minutes later, the owner emailed me back and said, "We will not tolerate abuse from our customers." Since when is a complaint abuse? They claim that I insulted their employee by saying he's snarky. Well he was! Wouldn't it have been easier to just say, "I apologize for the misunderstanding."? How hard is that? When they responded to me the way they did by saying "they won't tolerate", that makes me wonder if they will try to sue me for defamation. I did my research and found that the only way they can is if I make false claims. Not a single statement was false. I'm so livid and shocked by the complete disregard for my situation.

Some of my friends got on the review and began cussing the owner's friends out, because they were insulting me. I publicly tried to contain the situation by telling them to not cuss or call names. Not once did the owner publicly try to contain her Facebook friends. Not once did I receive an apology. She even tried saying that I could have my $3 refunded to me. Why would I drive 15 minutes to get $3? Why couldn't they have just given me the refund while I was at the restaurant? I told them I didn't want the refund of $3. I said that they could just give it to my waitress, because she was actually friendly; and that if she declined, then they could donate the money to the charity of their choice.

wow they way they handled the situation was incredibly rude and unprofessional. sounds like they need social media classes. I've eaten at fine dining establishments my whole life and since being banded 11 years ago have often just eaten off my husband's plate (usually steak because they are always ridiculously sized), or ordered an appetizer as an entree etc... never once been charged a "split fee" never heard of it prior to today.

I eat at nicer restaurants all the time, and I've never been charged a spilt fee. It's a bit disingenuous to suggest that it's a matter of class. It might be a matter of restaurant culture in certain areas, but it's got nothing to do with the level of the restaurant.

I'd be angry as well, though I'd just pay and never go back.

Sent from my SM-G925V using the BariatricPal App

Edited by Vinasu

A lot of places charge split fees.

I never get charged split fees because I never split food and I don't ask for special treatment at restaurants.

I don't think it is fair to complain about being charged a fee. It is like when parties of 6 or more complain about automatic gratuities.

@@PrettyThick1 where can you get a Bariatric Patient card? For your doctor? I didn't know that was a thing. I'd love to be able to order off of the kids menu haha

@@PrettyThick1 where can you get a Bariatric Patient card? For your doctor? I didn't know that was a thing. I'd love to be able to order off of the kids menu haha

My program gave me one at my pre-op class.

I've never used it.

Most of the food on kid menus is crap.

Split fees are pretty common in my experience. The profit margins are so narrow for restaurants, they do it to not lose money. Built into the price of a meal is paying the busboy, the dishwasher, the server, etc. So if you split, there is twice the plates and silverware that needs serving, picking up, washing etc.

Even if it's printed on the menu, a thorough waiter will mention the split fee when you're ordering something you're going to share to prevent any surprises.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Nicer restaurants charge a split fee.

If you don't want to pay stuff like that there is always Applebee's.

Just because you are eating "less" does not mean you cost less to service.

Why should the restaurant or the server lose money on your table because you had WLS?

I have eaten at much nicer restaurants than that place, and I have never been charged a split fee. Not even at 5 star restaurants. What's so hard about apologizing for the misunderstanding? Do you see that I'm not purely upset about the charge, but more so about how it was handled? They were so rude to me and my mother.

Split fees are pretty common in my experience. The profit margins are so narrow for restaurants, they do it to not lose money. Built into the price of a meal is paying the busboy, the dishwasher, the server, etc. So if you split, there is twice the plates and silverware that needs serving, picking up, washing etc.

Even if it's printed on the menu, a thorough waiter will mention the split fee when you're ordering something you're going to share to prevent any surprises.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

No one explained that to us. The assistant manager didn't even apologize for the misunderstanding. He was extremely rude.

But you complained about $3. I don't get it. The time it would take me to complain would cost me more than $3. Time is worth more than money.

I feel like you are fresh from surgery, hormonal and making a big deal out of nothing. I'm not saying that to be mean or anything. I did something similar post op. I'm just saying get some perspective and move on. It is not worth it.

This is why I don't ask for special treatment in restaurants or expect them to lose money on my orders.

@@OutsideMatchInside,

I did not expect special treatment. I just expect to be treated respectfully. I did not cuss or scream at him, yet he was still rude. If he would have said, "I apologize for the misunderstanding. On the menu it says there's a split fee charge. I hope that is ok.", then I would have understood and left it at that. But I didn't get anything close to that.

Edited by Hiraeth

Hate you had to go through that and even if it was the restaurants policy.1.it should have been told to you by the waiter or waitress when you ordered ..that way you could have made that decision upon ordering...2. If it was not information given before charge ..the manager should have taken it off at that time ..you really don't know who reads or listens to a complain..as manager he/she should have considered his restaurant n staff training as a whole and not just a customer complaint...That could have played out to benefit both...????

Sent from my SM-N920P using the BariatricPal App

But you complained about $3. I don't get it. The time it would take me to complain would cost me more than $3. Time is worth more than money.

I feel like you are fresh from surgery, hormonal and making a big deal out of nothing. I'm not saying that to be mean or anything. I did something similar post op. I'm just saying get some perspective and move on. It is not worth it.

This is why I don't ask for special treatment in restaurants or expect them to lose money on my orders.

Not true. I am not acting out of character. I complained because, to me, I felt that they were charging us for splitting it. They did not make an effort to tell us politely. Wouldn't you complain if you felt like you were charged a fee that didn't belong? Just because you've heard of split fees, doesn't mean everyone else has. It would have been nice if they had told us beforehand.