Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Complications from advancing diet too soon

Our comments aren't welcome. Just hang out in the vets forum and high five each other I guess since advice from people that have lost most of their weight and have stuck around to help others isn't wanted by new people.

I'm not a vet yet, no. I'm a noob. But I took what you and others had to say very respectfully and I have responded with grace.

So you're comments a very much welcome just not the parts where you sound like you're on a condescending power trip about new people like me that ventured to try half slice of cheese before they ought to have or the girl who tried a broccoli cheese Soup. I took this rant seriously and have chosen to move on without issue.

Newbies like myself are great and everyone learns from mistakes (or they die ultimately if not). It's simply work in progress for everyone.

Everyone has been instructed differently and adhered to them in their own way. It is rightful to be concerned and upset but at the same time serves no good if we're gonna be harsh to one another and make assumptions about one another and about one representing all.

Peace man, peace.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by sasharbinx

What's funny is I didn't get on here and ask for advice. I was pointing out that there seems to be no rhyme or reason to the requirements before and after surgery.

And aggiemae I have no idea what your talking about? My surgery center is a hospital. And they kept saying they were a surgery center of excellence. But hey I'm happy with my surgeon and the hospital. The surgery was smooth and my recovery has been way easier than I thought it would be.

But hey if I'm doing it wrong I'm down 35 pounds in 4 weeks. My coworker has lost 163 since May.

YOU ladies are the ones who said I wasn't following my plan, or doing what the doctors told me to do. I have been following my plan

What's funny is I didn't get on here and ask for advice. I was pointing out that there seems to be no rhyme or reason to the requirements before and after surgery.

And aggiemae I have no idea what your talking about? My surgery center is a hospital. And they kept saying they were a surgery center of excellence. But hey I'm happy with my surgeon and the hospital. The surgery was smooth and my recovery has been way easier than I thought it would be.

But hey if I'm doing it wrong I'm down 35 pounds in 4 weeks. My coworker has lost 163 since May.

YOU ladies are the ones who said I wasn't following my plan, or doing what the doctors told me to do. I have been following my plan

Completely agree. I think it's a bit ridiculous that she called your surgery center to ask about their post-op plan. You would know best, not some random internet stranger.

And aggiemae I have no idea what your talking about? My surgery center is a hospital. And they kept saying they were a surgery center of excellence.

YOU ladies are the ones who said I wasn't following my plan,

Since you don't know what I'm talking about, I will explain.

"Centers of excellence" adhere to a specific set of guidelines including a fairly specific post op diet. I think that Babbs posted it.

Interestingly, when I looked up "bariatric center of excellence KC, I noticed that many WLS doctors and clinics SEEM to squeeze the word "excellence" into the first line of their websites, I did find ONE that claimed to be accredited. However, on further investigation, there aren't any actual ACCREDITED hospitals in Kansas City, KA or MO.

http://www.surgicalreview.org/locate/ice/locate-bariatric-center-of-excellence/?list=ice

In my opinion, based on your stated "food plan", you received substandard care. You are satisfied with that care so that is not really my issue.

My issue was that you claimed you got this substandard care at a "bariatric center of excellence". Over the past five years I have spent a considerable amount of time and energy establishing the framework for the "center of excellence" designation, which is why I was concerned.

And since I now know that you did not get your diet instructions from a "center of excellence" as you previously claimed my interest in this has ended.

However, pre op patients need to be aware that any surgery center can claim to be a "center of excellence" so do your homework and choose your surgeon and hospital carefully.

I left a link.

Completely agree. I think it's a bit ridiculous that she called your surgery center to ask about their post-op plan. You would know best, not some random internet stranger.

Funny.

I didn't claim to get substandard care. It just really blows my mind how all over the place all this is.

Like I had to do a 6 month suprivised weight loss with a NUT and see a phycologist. And hey I found out why I was fat from all that

Ins approval, I had mine in 24 hours after I met all the requirements. Some people take weeks or months

Pre op diet, I was 2 weeks on liquid only(really wasn't that bad lost 26 pounds) some on here do a week, 3 days, can eat I meal a day etc

Post op mine said I could eat scrambled eggs on day 7, some people don't get mushy stuff till week 4

See what I was getting at? It's just like no set guide lines.

It is weird how there is no set plan that goes across the board. I didn't have any 6month supervised diet for my lapband or my upcoming sleeve....btw Dr Milton Owens in Orange CA is terrible and you will learn more on this site than from his awful team.......I have had a ton of classes and different doctor appointments with my new team pre-op. It is all over the place. I would like it if there was a standard operating procedure, but everyone's different.

Sent from my SM-J700P using the BariatricPal App

I had Bariatric Advantage broccoli Soup right after surgery, actually when I was still in the hospital I was given strained clam chowder and sugar free chocolate pudding. My first 2 weeks I ate so much of the Bariatric Protein Soups that the thought of them makes me gag.

Every patient leaves the hospital with a list of what they can and cannot eat, we are mostly all adults, we all know the risks and have heard the horror stories. If someone wants to die like Mama Cass by chocking on a ham sandwich then it is their own fault that they became a casualty. I'm not trying to sound cold but some peeps need to just grow up.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Wait, whuuuuuut? Who has time to call another's surgery center to discuss their post op plans?

:faint:

I don't even have time to take a proper poo most days.

Hahaha this made me laugh, my dog is looking at me right now like Wtf is up with you

My diet was different (easy- full liqs 1 wk, purée 1 wk, semi solids- 1 wk, 4th wk PO whatever I tolerated),

my surgeon is excellent (aka I'm still alive- no complications what so ever not even constipated! Yay!!)

the hospital is not a center for excellence.

If anyone wants to call them please let me know I'll give you the phone number lol

And aggiemae I have no idea what your talking about? My surgery center is a hospital. And they kept saying they were a surgery center of excellence.

"Centers of excellence" adhere to a specific set of guidelines including a fairly specific post op diet. I think that Babbs posted it.

Interestingly, when I looked up "bariatric center of excellence KC, I noticed that many WLS doctors and clinics SEEM to squeeze the word "excellence" into the first line of their websites, I did find ONE that claimed to be accredited. However, on further investigation, there aren't any actual ACCREDITED hospitals in Kansas City, KA or MO.

http://www.surgicalreview.org/locate/ice/locate-bariatric-center-of-excellence/?list=ice

In my opinion, based on your stated "food plan", you received substandard care. You are satisfied with that care so that is not really my issue.

My issue was that you claimed you got this substandard care at a "bariatric center of excellence". Over the past five years I have spent a considerable amount of time and energy establishing the framework for the "center of excellence" designation, which is why I was concerned.

And since I now know that you did not get your diet instructions from a "center of excellence" as you previously claimed my interest in this has ended.

However, pre op patients need to be aware that any surgery center can claim to be a "center of excellence" so do your homework and choose your surgeon and hospital carefully.

I left a link.

Oh wow. That was a scary thought. I guess I was pretty naive to just trust my surgical center's claim of being a Center of Excellence. But I checked the link you posted and mine really is on there. So that's a relief! Wonder how many patients *think* they are having their surgery at a Center of Excellence but really aren't!

I left a link.

What governing body gives the "Center of Excellence" designation? The ASMBS recently joined with ACS to create a single national accreditation standard for bariatric surgery programs, and there are 15 accredited programs in Missouri alone.

And, personally, I think it's a bit creepy and stalk-y to call another person's hospital and ask for their program's details in order to prove some point on an internet message board. You might want to slow your roll a bit on this one.

My post op diet was 2 weeks in each phase, but advancing a day or two early is allowed upon checking in with the doctor and or the nutritionist. Everyone has different plans, but following them is super important!

Insurance does take the center of excellence designation seriously.... So it must mean something. If I had one locally I would have had to use it per my insurance. I didn't have a Bariatric Center of Excellence locally and I am still alive. I had excellent care at my little rural regional hospital and was so happy I didn't have to travel. They are in the process of getting it and the practice in the next town does have it now. My point is this just means someone has verified they give good care.

Here is what I find funny. When I had my surgery my insurance company gave me a list of accredited bariatric centers of excellence that I could use.

They would not cover if I went to someone not on their list.

This was Medica - United Health Care which actually was an excellent insurance and very very strict on their full page of requirments needed to have bariatric surgery.

The number 1 center on their list was Park Nicollet Bariatric Center of Excellence located in St. Louis Park, Minnesota. Part of the Park Nicollent care system. They are still there today and still my bariatric team.

In fact, an entire floor of the hospital had suites for bariatric patients. These people knew their stuff. I was assigned to a Bariatric nurse (who herself had bypass 14 years ago), a Bariatric doctor that followed my case the whole way, a nutritionist, a physcologist and finally a surgeon.

When I looked them up on the link provided they did not show up. So.....not so convinced That this link is the end all be all.

It seems like a lot of work to go through to disprove a poster.

Just saying.....