Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I also had acid reflux with my band so rny was a no-brainer...

Bypass had more long- term research done. I liked the fact that it was reversible, and that it had more weight loss overall.

For me, taking Vitamins forever isn't a big deal, either for scheduling or financially, and I was otherwise very healthy, so a bit more time under anesthesia wasn't a real risk.

I am very, very happy with my decision.

Sent from my SM-G925V using the BariatricPal App

My surgeon felt it was the better option due to my starting weight. Also I decided that I wanted one surgery - didn't want to have to have a revision later on if the sleeve didn't work out.

I saw a lot of posts here and on a Facebook from people who had the sleeve getting a revision to RNY. Also the chances of GERD going away were said to be better per my surgeon. Also I have disordered eating and need the more restrictive diet post RNY.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

A lot of people get revisions from the sleeve to the DS too, which is the surgery I had. I opted for it for the same reason that a lot of people go for the RNY. I wanted one surgery, with great long term results. I've lost 31 pounds in 4 weeks, and I'm sitting at 238.

Bypass had more long- term research done. I liked the fact that it was reversible, and that it had more weight loss overall.

For me, taking Vitamins forever isn't a big deal, either for scheduling or financially, and I was otherwise very healthy, so a bit more time under anesthesia wasn't a real risk.

I am very, very happy with my decision.

A friend of mine had the sleeve and she swears that the Bypass is NOT reversible. How true is that?

Because the bypass isn't really reversible.

It is major surgery to reverse it and most Doctors won't do it.

Reversing it will still leave you with all those cuts and stitches.

Yeah with the the sleeve most of you stomach is gone forever but your intestines have no cuts or stitches.

If you want something reversible get the band or the Ballon.

Have your intestines chopped up twice shouldn't really be an option.

danithomas, that's when you let them just be wrong and know you're right. RNY is reversible and sleeve is not -- it's actually called a sleeve gastrectomy -- the unused part of the stomach is taken out of the body and gone forever.

I agree though that bypass being reversible is not a reason to choose it. We must be honest with ourselves. I'd think that reversal of a RNY gastric bypass is extremely rare and would require extenuating circumstances.

Bypass would have to be killing you, literally for them to reverse it, and even if they did reverse it, you will never be normal again.

. Can Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery be reversed?

A. Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery is considered a permanent weight-loss measure. However, it is potentially reversible. Reversal requires another operation of the same, or greater, magnitude with the same, or greater, risks. Reversal of this operation is very uncommon and rarely occurs beyond six weeks from the time of surgery.

From the Cleveland Clinic

Edited by Vinasu