Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thinking About Gastric Sleeve Surgery

You're a very pretty YOUNG lady and at only 28 I'm pretty sure at your age you might be able to get your weight down by eating sensibly and walking,...

I was in my twenties when I lost about 50 pounds. It took an extreme amount of exercise and an extremely restricted diet. 10 years later when my knees wore out from running, the weight started to come back on. Since then I've gained double what I lost. So, what I have learned, contrary to popular belief, is that while you may be able to force your weight down with diet and exercise, it is very difficult to keep it there. In fact exercise can be a form of a bulimia. Diet and exercise, while very important for a healthy life, are not always the solution for long-term weight loss.

I don't have anything new to add, but had to say you're stunning. Good luck with it all.

Sent from my SM-G900I using the BariatricPal App

I am new here and I am a beginner when it comes to Forums. I am here because I am seriously considering getting gastric Sleeve Surgery. I am 28 and I weight 260lbs. I had a miscarriage 2 years ago and put on alot of weight because of pregnancy and feeling depressed.

I would like to know what are the main pros and cons of the surgery and if anyone has any advice they could give me I am more than open to it. I would highly appreciate it. I have hear about vomiting and Gerd and wanted to know how bad it is. Also how small are the portions the first month post opt. Also what is the attachicon.gif ImageUploadedByBariatricPal1483451873.240533.jpgaverage amount of weight most people my size lost the first month?

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

First of all, every person's body is different. I haven't experienced vomiting or gerd issues. I received the sleeve on 8/8/16. I'm 44 yrs old and weighed 365 lbs on the day of surgery. I went back for my one week visit and I was 350 lbs. At my one month visit I tipped the scale at 335 lbs. As of last week in 295 lbs.

Hi! I had the surgery on September 20 at 262 pounds. I already had GERD, so they fixed that too. The first month I lost 18 lbs. No reflux or vomiting since surgery. Initial portion sizes were 2-4 ounces, but I was never hungry, so it was not a problem. I'm now 3 1/2 months out and have lost a total of 35 lbs. A little disappointing, but loss is loss! I now eat 4-6 ounces each meal and am losing about 2 pounds a week. I don't regret the surgery and am happy not to be gaining.

Sent from my XT1254 using the BariatricPal App

I had it done and iam glad I did I feel a hole lot better and looking great its a lot of hoops you go throw but in the long run.the results you get on your health is worth it yes you have dumping syndromes and vomiting if you over eat or you eat or drink something that dose not agree with you I started my weight loss jounary was in August 24-2016 at 304know down to 234

Sent from my 5054N using the BariatricPal App

I couldn't have said it better than a lot of these people who've already gone through the surgery.

I was three weeks away from turning 60 when I had mine, I think that if I had had the option sooner I might have been able to go for it but had never had Insurance until about two years ago. The sagging skin, well I'll have to deal with that but it's better than having to deal with the old way of unhealthy eating! I've never had any health problems, thankfully, but the comfort of knowing that I'm doing something about my weight loss after so many years has been the most rewarding part of it all. I too have not told a lot of people about it because I really just don't want to hear their opinions, so I keep it to my immediate family and three very close friends, that's it. I went three years of losing weight 20 year 35 they are even at the age of 50 I lost 50 to 75 pounds, but it's the keeping it off that's the hardest part, as you already know. You will make your choice and you will be the best person to make that choice but it's fantastic you're on here talking to other people about it and just getting more information before you make that huge life-changing choice! Good luck on your journey, you're one smart, beautiful lady and happy New Year everyone!

Sent from my LG-H740 using the BariatricPal App

It should have said, I've gone through years of losing weight and at the age of 50 I lost 50 to 75 pounds????

Sent from my LG-H740 using the BariatricPal App

Best decision of my life to get this surgery.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I've really been having doubts about having this surgery, my family is totally against me having it. I figured I'd start the nutrition classes and at least learn how to eat right but all the posts I've read have been really positive. I'm looking forward to surgery now and can't wait.

Sent from my 0PM92 using the BariatricPal App

@@MelissaRose24 Definitely read up as much as you can about the procedure, the pre and post-op food stages, the potential complications and everything else.

One thing that maybe hasn't been stressed enough yet in this thread is that the RATE of weight loss doesn't matter. We are so used to the "diet" mentality of setting and reaching a goal so we can be "done" with it. You will never ever be "done" with your sleeve. It is for life. So if it takes you 6 months or 16 months to lose the weight, it won't matter in the long term. I am over two years post-op now. I live my life at my goal weight every single day now. It took me almost exactly one year to reach goal. Some reach it sooner, some reach it later. But once you are there, it doesn't matter how long it took, because you are there and you can STAY there with the help of your sleeve.

Can you tell me how much weight you did lose after your surgery?

Sent from my 0PM92 using the BariatricPal App

It depends on what you consider my starting weight. I was 260 when I began pre-op diet/exercise and I got down as low as 153 at one point post-op while I was training for my marathon. I am now comfortably hovering around my goal weight of 165, which is right where i like to be. However, I am starting training for a half marathon later this month and suspect I might lose a little during that. It's hard to eat enough calories to NOT lose weight when I'm doing serious training schedules.

One thing the insurance companies will want to know is how many other avenues to weight loss have you taken already? The doctors will look at BMI, too. This isn't a surgery like liposuction; just because you want it, you're going to get it.

I had to jump through so many hoops, go to classes, get a psych work up...The whole process will take six months.

Sent from my SM-G900P using the BariatricPal App