Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slow weight loss?

If I see another post in a group where someone is lamenting their 10-25lb am month weightloss as "disappointing" or "slow" I am going to lose my mind! Seriously, saw a post on another site where someone has lost more than 20lbs a month and feels like it should be more. Why? Where do people get this information? I truly do not understand.

I feel like many people who are researching weight loss surgery cruise around boards and only really absorb the stuff they are inclined to absorb. That varies from person to person. Some people may be more optimistic, and focus on posts from young men who weigh over 600 lbs and lost 40 lbs in their first month and then they expect they'll be the same. They just gloss over everyone reporting in maybe a 10 - 20 lb weight loss. Those overly optimistic people who focus on the best outcomes may also be the ones who are, post op, posting things like, I'm two weeks out of surgery, why am I tired? Or, I'm five days out of surgery, why do I still feel pain?

On the other hand, there are people who are perhaps more pessimistic or cautious by nature, and they are the ones who focus on what they read about complications, re-gain, etc. and they come back after surgery and post things like "why am I able to drink stuff, does this mean my sleeve doesn't work?" or "I'm not throwing up constantly like I thought I would, what is wrong with me?"

I agree with both of you!!

Me, too.

I'd also like to know where people get this idea that an intake of 800 kcal a day might be "too much".

I totally agree...I am so geeked of any weight loss in my 7 wks because BEFORE THE sleeve I increased my weight more than I lost...So my lost of any amount has me high all everyday????

Sent from my SM-N920P using the BariatricPal App

If I see another post in a group where someone is lamenting their 10-25lb am month weightloss as "disappointing" or "slow" I am going to lose my mind! Seriously, saw a post on another site where someone has lost more than 20lbs a month and feels like it should be more. Why? Where do people get this information? I truly do not understand.

I completely agree with you on that one, I haven't had my surgery yet and I get excited to loose one pound, I'm eagerly awaiting my surgery I am 4'11" and I was 238 and in ten years I have only been able to get to 175 and then gained and lost til now and I am up to 210 so that's what helped me make my decision to have sleeve surgery. People forget how easy it is to gain the weight and they think it should come off easier, it doesn't and I would feel happy with whatever weight loss I can loose with my surgery. I am finishing up all my prerequisites and hoping to get it done in May.

Sent from my 0PM92 using the BariatricPal App

I would be doing cartwheels if I could loose 10-25 in a month...lol

I get excited over a 1 pound weight loss.

I would kill for just a couple of pounds per month right now......I need to take off 7 that I gained over the holidays. UGH!

It's the same banana-headed fantasy over and over. @@Travelher, when I saw your topic in the list, I expected that I was clicking in to pop you on the nose. What a thrill to see what you were about.

Lately, when I do respond to those who gleaned from the surgery practices only what suited their fantasies, I ask (not necessarily in this order and not necessarily all three):

- Where they got their ideas;

- Why is becoming slim overnight now an emergency after building and maintaining obesity for years; and

- When did they ever before lose as rapidly as they have been since surgery...even though their current rate of weight loss is so pathetic?

I also recommend that they adjust their goals to losing weight, period.

One of my own goals is to stop responding to them at all. They keep fantasizing and I keep spinning my wheels. Why do I do this to myself?

@@Djmohr -- I hope it all tasted good enough. My impression is that you're a good cook, so that's my hope.

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

@@WLSResources/ClothingExch

Absolutely tasted great, both what I cooked and what I didnt. LOL. I honestly think most of my gain has come from all of the dinners out. With the holidays we went out probably 5 times per week. Then of course there is a bite of this, and a taste of that and I chose not to track what I was eating. Also, I am positive there was alot of salt in all that restaurant food and I know I am retaining Water.

So, it is back to tracking and controlling what I eat. I know what I have to do, so I just need to buckle down and get it done.

It took me 15 months to lose a total of 92 pounds before the weight loss just stopped.

Now at almost 2.5 years out, do you think it matters one sh*t how long it took me to lose it? All that matters now is I keep off what I lost!

And @@Djmohr is right. Just wait until you're at goal, but you gain a few pounds. I gained almost 6 last spring, and it took me 4 months to lose it. Yes, four.

It's the same banana-headed fantasy over and over. @@Travelher, when I saw your topic in the list, I expected that I was clicking in to pop you on the nose. What a thrill to see what you were about.

Lately, when I do respond to those who gleaned from the surgery practices only what suited their fantasies, I ask (not necessarily in this order and not necessarily all three):

- Where they got their ideas;

- Why is becoming slim overnight now an emergency after building and maintaining obesity for years; and

- When did they ever before lose as rapidly as they have been since surgery...even though their current rate of weight loss is so pathetic?

I also recommend that they adjust their goals to losing weight, period.

One of my own goals is to stop responding to them at all. They keep fantasizing and I keep spinning my wheels. Why do I do this to myself?

@@Djmohr -- I hope it all tasted good enough. My impression is that you're a good cook, so that's my hope.

Good goal. I can't help but respond. It does blow my mind though. I understand the "here is what I'm losing, is it typical?" question. But the "I'm so upset that I'm only losing 22lbs a month what should I be doing?" or "do I need a pouch reset 2 months post op because I've only lost 36lbs? Makes me shake my head in wonder. There are clearly doctors out there doing no education...like none.

I feel like many people who are researching weight loss surgery cruise around boards and only really absorb the stuff they are inclined to absorb. That varies from person to person. Some people may be more optimistic, and focus on posts from young men who weigh over 600 lbs and lost 40 lbs in their first month and then they expect they'll be the same. They just gloss over everyone reporting in maybe a 10 - 20 lb weight loss. Those overly optimistic people who focus on the best outcomes may also be the ones who are, post op, posting things like, I'm two weeks out of surgery, why am I tired? Or, I'm five days out of surgery, why do I still feel pain?

On the other hand, there are people who are perhaps more pessimistic or cautious by nature, and they are the ones who focus on what they read about complications, re-gain, etc. and they come back after surgery and post things like "why am I able to drink stuff, does this mean my sleeve doesn't work?" or "I'm not throwing up constantly like I thought I would, what is wrong with me?"

You are so right! I am having surgery Jan 31 so I am researching as much as I can. I was told at almost 62 I may not lose as quickly as a young person so I'm thinking @10 a month. I have stressed about the negatives like regain, or indigestion so I'm stopping reading all that. I will just follow directions to a T. Thks!

Sent from my SM-G935T using the BariatricPal App

You are so right! I am having surgery Jan 31 so I am researching as much as I can. I was told at almost 62 I may not lose as quickly as a young person so I'm thinking @10 a month. I have stressed about the negatives like regain, or indigestion so I'm stopping reading all that. I will just follow directions to a T. Thks!

Sent from my SM-G935T using the BariatricPal App

There are clearly doctors out there doing no education...like none.

There are also patients out there resistant to education.

I hear the nutritionist talk about not eating the low fat versions of cheese etc - what do patients do? Talk about "reducing fat"and "only getting the fat free curd" even a day after the session while still in the hospital.

I hear the nutritionists say "everybody is different - don't compare!" - and all patients are talking about is how much they lost and comparing themselves with others.

---

It's like people don't hear what is said sometimes. But then again maybe some things need to be said over and over and OVER again to cancel out the years of "diety thinking".

- Why is becoming slim overnight now an emergency after building and maintaining obesity for years;

I kind of understand this one. You just want to be over and done with being obese.

I catch myself thinking sometimes "you need to lose faster so you can get into maintenance for 6 months so you can have plastics and be finally over and done with this shit".