Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Carbonated water

For me, carbonated bevs of any kind are on the no list for me which sucks because I love Topo Chico mineral Water. Maybe mini bottles of it several months post op. .-. Interested to see what others think that have been operated on for some time already.

I don't drink carbonated beverages because they hurt my stomach. The last actual soda that I had was July 2015. While I'd love a cold Mtn Dew or Root Beer, I avoid them to avoid the pain. Now I can drink beer, but only a few sips and I'm done/full.

I was told that all carbonated beverages must be given up for life as there is evidance the carbonation can stretch your sleeve.

Sent from my SM-G930V using the BariatricPal App

i have had carbonated Water to drink, but i have to wait for it to "flatten" also. I took a swig of a Diet Coke last week (I'm 4 months out) and seriously thought I was gonna die. OMG! it was SOOOO painful and uncomfortable. Lesson learned there big time. Beer is also no longer my friend anymore (big frownie face), but i HAVE had Cider or Redds Apple Ale with no horrible effects...it just takes me forever to drink one.

My post op diet bans them for life unless they are flat. I do still find them unpleasant a year out. However there are some who seem to tolerate them fine and it has not hurt their success.

I love pellegrino and usually wait for it to lose the fizz...makes me sad but I still think about enjoying the flavor. I actually just asked in another thread if it was ok to drink with the fizz.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm now 11 weeks post op and I drink plain or black cherry seltzer Water from time to time and haven't had any issues at all. My surgeon told me that as long as it has no calories or sugar and it's not brown soda (as the caramel coloring is the worst part) it's fine in moderation. The only thing I'm having an issue digesting is salad. Everyone is different though! and it's important to listen to your Doctor! The Doctors give you best advice based on your individual health issues. Like the saying goes "Everything ain't for Everybody" :) Be safe, Ask First!

Also, I haven't experienced any stalls or weight gain. My scale just keeps going down! started at 345 lbs and today I'm 270lbs! 75 lbs in 5 months! I love my sleeve!

I was told right after surgery, no, and that I wouldn't want them, but that I could after I'm healed. I should add though, strangely enough, my post-op diet says I can have Decaf soda as long as it is flat.
Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

How long is healed? Guessing 6 or 8 weeks. Seltzer Water is my favorite thing and the only thing I miss!
I’ve been reading a lot about it and I don’t think he carbonation can stretch your pouch - you would just burp a lot. The carbonation can make food slide through your stomach a lot faster so drinking it while eating is a definite no no.

I was told no carbonated drinks ever again, even if they're flat, because it can stretch your new stomach.