Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anxiety/Health Anxiety folks Help plz

I just had an attack a few nights ago where my heart was beating very rapidly, I had bad shortness of breath which caused me dizziness, and my arms especially the right were heavy and tingling. It really scared me but I took a valium (from my mother. i am not on meds currently) with a huge bottle of Water, laid down and felt better within 30-45 minutes. This was the worst attack I have ever had. I thought I was possibly having a heart attack !

I haven't disscussed this issue with my surgeon yet so, I wanted to ask if anyone had relief of this condition after weightloss? Or does this have anything to do with weight whatsoever?

I just hate it and wish I could never have an attack again. Its ruining my life. If I even think about a stressful situation, I have to hurry and get my mind off of it quickly before I start getting that panic type feeling, it sucks.

Surgery scheduled for March 2017 :)

I have been on Paxil for GAD since 2000 when I was 120 lbs of solid muscle. I've tried weaning down my dosage or changing meds and never been able to come off it. But, since it's cheap now, I don't think it's a bad thing to be on. It had nothing to do with my weight gain, btw. You should see your GP about trying a SSRI/NSSRI. You may be able to take it short term, as most people do. It should not medically affect your surgery in any way. Self medicating is always a bad idea, especially since (#1. you're not a doctor and #2.) valium can cause hypotension and reduce the amount of oxygen to the heart muscle, so if you were having a heart attack, would be more harm than good.

p.s.

I'm not a doctor either!

I have been on Paxil for GAD since 2000 when I was 120 lbs of solid muscle. I've tried weaning down my dosage or changing meds and never been able to come off it. But, since it's cheap now, I don't think it's a bad thing to be on. It had nothing to do with my weight gain, btw. You should see your GP about trying a SSRI/NSSRI. You may be able to take it short term, as most people do. It should not medically affect your surgery in any way. Self medicating is always a bad idea, especially since (#1. you're not a doctor and #2.) valium can cause hypotension and reduce the amount of oxygen to the heart muscle, so if you were having a heart attack, would be more harm than good.

p.s.

I'm not a doctor either!

Thank you for your reply. I will def ask my GP for that.

You had a panic attack- When it hits don't freak out- that makes it worse. Number 1- you aren't going to die- Number 2-you aren't going crazy- Number 3-when the symptons hit acknowledge the panic attack, tell yourself you are going to be ok and go back to doing what you are doing. If you don't panic over the panic attack it GOES away. Never stop driving or going out for fear of having a panic attack! It's just uncomfortable FEELINGS.

I have panic attacks. It used to be the most terrifying feelings ever. Through talk therapy and learning coping skills such as breathing exercises , it is not so bad. One thing to do during is name :

5 things you can see

5 things you can smell

5 things you can hear an 5 things you can touch

that is around you

It distracts your mind and can get you less stressed.

Best advice is talk to a psychiatrist, they can find an appropriate medication for you. I know it can be a long wait to get to see one so you maybe able to get a script from your GP to help you get through. However it is better to see a doctor who specializes in mental health. They know and keep up with the latest therapies better than a GP.

As for frequency decline post op, it will depend on what your triggers are. Seek treatment is my best advice.

You had a panic attack- When it hits don't freak out- that makes it worse. Number 1- you aren't going to die- Number 2-you aren't going crazy- Number 3-when the symptons hit acknowledge the panic attack, tell yourself you are going to be ok and go back to doing what you are doing. If you don't panic over the panic attack it GOES away. Never stop driving or going out for fear of having a panic attack! It's just uncomfortable FEELINGS.

True.....but what you're saying is easier said than done. When a panic/anxiety attack hits, sometimes you have to stop what you're doing in order for your body to calm down.

Sent from my SM-G935P using the BariatricPal App

Yes, you have to STOP what your are doing, which is panicking, and calm down.

There are many techniques for doing this, the critical thing is to teach yourself one and NOT to give in and fall down the rabbit hole.

I had panic attacks that became so bad I couldn't drive, go to parties, restaurants, supermarkets etc.

I have not taken medication for anxiety for years. I just acknowledge it when it happens and keep it moving. Once I focus on something else it dissipates.

That's my nightmare today. I'm weining off of Effexor XR onto Wellbutrin. Extended release meds don't work with sleevers. I'm suffering horribly trying to come off of it. I'm vomiting, the runs and completely nauseous. Can't keep anything down for the past 24 hrs.

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

I had panic attacks that became so bad I couldn't drive, go to parties, restaurants, supermarkets etc.

I have not taken medication for anxiety for years. I just acknowledge it when it happens and keep it moving. Once I focus on something else it dissipates.

I completely relate. I've had this problem since I was 14 years old. Going to church, school, anywhere gave/gives me anxiety. I hope I get a handle on it soon. I plan on getting a job soon an would hat to have an episode at work.

That's my nightmare today. I'm weining off of Effexor XR onto Wellbutrin. Extended release meds don't work with sleevers. I'm suffering horribly trying to come off of it. I'm vomiting, the runs and completely nauseous. Can't keep anything down for the past 24 hrs.

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

Hope you feel better soon, sounds terrible.

I don't think depression/anxiety can go away with WLS. You might feel better because you can get out more, do more, be more confident vs. letting the depression win and stay in bed all day. But cure, I don't think so.

Note - this is my personal opinion, I am in no way affiliated with any medical field.

I've worked with a therapist about 4 years now. I'm 27 - found out right before I turned 22 my Mom had terminal cancer and the depression/anxiety tendencies I already had reared their ugly heads.

I manage it now. I do have xanax for emergencies, but I can almost always control is - it took a LONG time to get here. So my best advice is to find a therapist (took me 4 tries to find someone that "got it").

I take daily meds for depression as well. A combo of meds and therapy works best for me. Good luck. Panic attacks are very scary.

Try counting to 10, backwards and forwards. Breathe in for 4, hold for 4, out for 4. There are other CBT things you can look at online.