Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It might be a fine line...

But it ain't invisible. ~ Clint Eastwood in Pink Cadillac

I have seen a lot of people asking how to tell if you ate too much. Today I crossed a very fine line, and discovered it is indeed visible, or at least, palpable. I was preparing my normal 3/4 cup of food for lunch. I have learned that 3/4 cup is pretty much the ideal amount of food for my stomach, and it fills me up well. So I put just that much chili in a bowl, and stuck it in the microwave. As I was putting the vat of chili back into the refrigerator, I noticed a package of sharp cheddar cheese sitting there from the other night when we had company.

"Well, that would look good on top of my chili!", I thought to myself. Not much longer than it took me to form the thought, three slices (small squares, one serving) found their way onto my now steaming, but very small bowl of chili. I proceeded to eat at my normal, slow pace, while perusing my favorite fat person forum. By the time I got close to the bottom of my bowl, I noticed that the feeling of food in my belly was reaching the bottom of my esophagus. Those three little slices put me over the top. I finished it, and it was distinctly uncomfortable. I will be sure to subtract the volume of cheese from the chili next time before sticking it all together. Either that, or Jester the dog is going to enjoy a small treat.

I've been told to quit using our dogs as food disposal units, they've gotten too chubby. LOL.

I've been told to quit using our dogs as food disposal units, they've gotten too chubby. LOL.

He's on his own diet regimen, and since he can't open the dog food bin himself, it has been pretty successful. We don't give him too many treats. His favorite activity is running around barking, and he's got almost two acres of Invisible Fence territory in which to do it. He loves chasing vehicles and people, so that helps keep him in shape.

Walking bowser is good for both of you! Your new picture looks nice!

So it's not suppose to feel like food is in my esophagus? Maybe hiccuping is the wrong stop-eating cue? If I sit up very straight maybe I can fit another bite in . . .

Here's my vigilant food vacuum:

Lola

Mine only get people food on very rare occasions. I was thinking today how it is funny that I am so very careful about what they eat so they don't gain weight, but I have had no problem shoveling bad food choices in to my mouth regardless of the weight gain!

post-308798-14833899633447_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by FindingCarrie

So it's not suppose to feel like food is in my esophagus? Maybe hiccuping is the wrong stop-eating cue? If I sit up very straight maybe I can fit another bite in . . .

Here's my vigilant food vacuum:

Nice pooch. I love dogs. I think they are all great. Now, I have a short story for you. No, it should not feel like there is food in your esophagus. Different people have different things to say as to whether or not we can stretch our sleeves. Without addressing that controversy, I can say this - whether or not you stretch it, if you can feel food in your esophagus, you are stuffing too much in, and you are going to sabotage everything you've worked for to date. Here's the story.

I love chili. I grew up eating a bowl a chili with a Peanut Butter sandwich, because that is what we had. These memories go back over 50 years. So it is pretty much hardwired into my system. For the past however many years, we have been using these Corelle bowls for Cereal, chili, Soup, anything that needs put in a bowl. I measured one just now so I have my measurements right.

I can easily put 3 full cups of chili in one of these bowls. I can fit a little more in to make it full. For as long as I can remember in this house, which is 17 years now, I have been filling one of these bowls with my favorite food, making a huge Peanut Butter sandwich with Italian bread (because the slices are bigger, you know) and then adding a huge glass of milk (think "quart") to wash it all down. This is one of the reasons I am here - portion size.

Now I am down to 3/4 cup of chili, no sandwich, and no milk. And I am content, because I have experienced the flavors and textures that go all the way back to my early childhood. I would love to add a small peanut butter sandwich, but for now, I am interested in staying away from bread. But this is part of the mindset thing I mention from time to time. I focus more on the experience itself. Eating slowly, and thinking about it really helps, compared to the bad old days when I wolfed my food down as quickly as I could.

On the one hand, I know it isn't even close to what I ate before. On the other, I am working very hard to be content with a little instead of a lot. Please understand, I am not trying to lecture you. I am writing all this in hopes it will help you out a little with your own determination as to what full is and what is more than full. I started out with half a cup, and worked my way up slowly from there. I have found that I enjoy being full without being overly full if I stick to my measurements, either on the scale or by volume.

I think both tools are necessary. For a while, I was only weighing stuff out. That works fine for some things, but once I was off the liquid diet, I realized I was shorting myself. So I use a measuring cup, and I am pretty strict with it. Today I wasn't, and that was the occasion of my OP. So I hope this helps you out some.

My wonderful husband does most of the cooking at our place, and he often plates my food for me. It was a learning curve for him in the beginning because at least here in the South we seem to have all lost our ever-loving minds when it comes to knowing what a serving of something is. For the longest time, I could eat 1/4 cup of whatever it was, no more. Sometimes not that much. He'd routinely give me "just a small bit" and it would be almost a cup of food. I finally asked him to start measuring out with a cup the food he was giving me. He was amazed at how little food it is, but has adjusted his concept of what a "serving size" means, at least for my food.

However, he is now battling the bulge because he still eats large portions, but because of childhood conditioning to clean the plate, feels somehow that he must eat whatever is left of my food when I'm done. Since we're not allowed to just dump it in the dog dishes anymore (vet was quite clear about it) we're having to address his conditioning. LOL. He's not terribly overweight, he's very tall and just has a little bit of a paunch developing. But he doesn't want it to get out of hand, because then he'd have to buy new clothes, and that's an unnecessary expense, dontchaknow? LOL. Guys are funny sometimes.

@@theantichick Yeah, I remember starving children in Biafra and all that. My mother, who I love dearly, would tell me in one breath to finish something so she didn't have to put it away, and in the next breath tell me I needed to lose weight. I wonder if that would qualify me for counseling? :P

I hate it when I go for that last bite to keep my membership in the "clean plate" club active and end up trying to burp it out for half an hour. Choppy, who pretty much eats everything, comes in very handy for preventing this.