Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New to the group Bypass or Sleeve?

Hello everyone I'm new to the group, my nutritionist recommended me to join a support group so here I am. This month I will complete my fourth pre op nutrition class. Going in I was dead set on the sleeve but after meeting with the surgeon for the first time he recommends the bypass. I have no co-mobilities I'm just obese. I still want the sleeve but I'm confused been doing a lot of research watching videos and I can't decide. post-309677-14833785226687_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I wanted the bypass as well, but my surgeon suggested the sleeve as it was a better fit with the medications I take. I don't regret it for a minute(maybe the first few days). It's been a slow, but steady weight loss with zero complications. Best wishes to you with your decision. @@Mrs.Tricey, you have a beautiful sense of style!!

My surgeon did not push for any particular operation, but I chose the sleeve. It is less invasive, keeps all your plumbing in its natural order, and you do not lose your ability to take certain medications such as NSAIDs. All of these were very important to me. From a statistical point of view, bypass and sleeve will offer about the same amount of weight loss. But who cares about statistics? This is mostly a mind game, so make up your mind to be successful, and study both procedures carefully before you choose.

Well... my surgeon described it to me like this

Bypass is still the gold standard in terms of weightloss... HOWEVER if you have medical problems post-op the bypass could be the reason why. Whereas with the sleeve you still absorb everything as normal and it doesn't create more problems for you.

Now what I would use as my deciding factor would be

1. How much weight do you have to lose?

2. What are you triggers? Bypass will give you dumping syndrome if you eat sugary foods, whereas sleeve will not.

3. How much do you have to spend... a huge consideration for me was bypass was $20,000 cash, and sleeve was $10,500 cash. I was already borrowing money and draining my bank account for the sleeve so bypass was out of my reach.

Plus if you look at sleeve videos on youtube, or listen to people stories on here you can see that people lose just as much weight with the sleeve versus bypass. It's a tool and it all depends on how you use it. The sleeve has much fewer complications and problems post-op.

@@LittleBill not rerouting my insides was the main reason why I picked the sleeve. I agree the process is nothing but a mind game I'm dealing with that now, I'm eating more now than I was four months ago. It seems as if my mind is saying eat now because she can't have it after surgery.

@@LittleBill not rerouting my insides was the main reason why I picked the sleeve. I agree the process is nothing but a mind game I'm dealing with that now, I'm eating more now than I was four months ago. It seems as if my mind is saying eat now because she can't have it after surgery.Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Do you use a calorie tracker? I started using My Fitness Pal just a few days after starting my pre-op program. I was amazed at how well I was able to control my diet, and without a lot of hardship. I lost 67 lbs pre-op, which I firmly believe contributed to my ease of recovery.

@@Montana Gal I don't want to have regrets thinking I chose the wrong surgery. I'm still leaning towards the sleeve. I think I like this group already thanks!

Both surgeries are wonderful tools, you will know in your heart which one is right for you. The only regret I had was the normal "oh my, what have I done to myself?" thoughts for a few days following surgery because of pain, etc.

Hello everyone I'm new to the group, my nutritionist recommended me to join a support group so here I am. This month I will complete my fourth pre op nutrition class. Going in I was dead set on the sleeve but after meeting with the surgeon for the first time he recommends the bypass. I have no co-mobilities I'm just obese. I still want the sleeve but I'm confused been doing a lot of research watching videos and I can't decide. attachicon.gif ImageUploadedByBariatricPal1483378520.741320.jpg

My surgeon did not push any direction. Im going with the sleeve. I also have to do the 6mos diet for insurance approval. Next week will be #4.

Sent from my SM-G935V using the BariatricPal App

Both are major surgeries ! I had my sleeve 4 years ago and dealt with Gerd very painful heartburn and my sleeve was twiated. I was just revised on 12.27 with hiatal hernia repair to bypass. Very happy so far and healing well. I still do not and will never regret My sleeve but you have to decide that for yourself. If you have Gerd and I wouldn't suggest it. Both are amazing tools!!!

foreverbariatric

Sent from my GalaxyNote4 using the App

Hello everyone I'm new to the group, my nutritionist recommended me to join a support group so here I am. This month I will complete my fourth pre op nutrition class. Going in I was dead set on the sleeve but after meeting with the surgeon for the first time he recommends the bypass. I have no co-mobilities I'm just obese. I still want the sleeve but I'm confused been doing a lot of research watching videos and I can't decide. attachicon.gifImageUploadedByBariatricPal1483378520.741320.jpg

I am scheduled to have my sleeve done on Jan. 19th.