Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all,

My name is Misty and I'm new to the app. I am 38 and 260 lbs I have not been overweight my entire life but the weight came on after a full hysterectomy in my 20's. I made an appointment to meet with a surgeon which I did on 12/8. The office had already verified my insurance didn't require a supervised diet or waiting period. Since then I have gotten all of the requirements to the surgeons office. They don't keep me updated...I'm very confused. When I seen the surgeon he asked what procedure I was interested in, I told him the sleeve and he asked why. I had told him I thought risks and downtime was minimal with the sleeve. He told me that was not the case and he usually did both as out patient. He had also said he thought bypass would be a better option for me as my reflux was bad. Dr Hart then said well we will wait until I see the tests. But since the tests I have called the office...can't get the coordinator on the phone but she will answer my emails. I asked her what the next step was and she said the surgeon would sign off and they will submit for surgery. I asked which one and they asked...well which do you want? Told her I guess she can submit for bypass.

I thought the surgeon should be telling me which one would benefit me the most...I just feel lost like I don't know what's going on. Am I being ridiculous?

Sent from my LGL82VL using the BariatricPal App

It sounds like me that your surgeon did suggest the bypass because of your reflux but the final decision is yours. Mine suggested the bypass due to me diabetes and asked why I wanted the sleeve as well. I went with my gut instincts and when they asked what I wanted submitted to insurance I got the sleeve anyway. It's your body and your choice ultimately.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

It is your body but take it from me.I had sleeve 2011 and in 2015 had severe acid reflux. Had to have a revision to bypass.I too was afraid of bypass.Wished i had it the first time ,then I wouldn't of needed the second surgery.

30 to 40 % sleevers had to have revision because of acid reflux.

It is your body but take it from me.I had sleeve 2011 and in 2015 had severe acid reflux. Had to have a revision to bypass.I too was afraid of bypass.Wished i had it the first time ,then I wouldn't of needed the second surgery.

New to this so I think I typed a reply in the wrong place. Was your surgery performed as an outpatient and have you had any complications?

You and me weigh around the same, I would continue with the sleeve as the bypass is usually for those who need to lose a lot more.

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

No my bypass wasn't out patient.I stayed 2 days.No complications.Only had to take pain meds 2 times at home.The gas pains are the most painful,but walking a lot gets rid of them.My Dr wouldn't let you go home until you drank enough liquids and Protein.That is why I stayed 2 days.My starting weight for this was 240.I have lost 22 lbs so far.

New to this so I think I typed a reply in the wrong place. Was your surgery performed as an outpatient and have you had any complications?

I have never heard of anyone have RNY outpatient? Anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

You and me weigh around the same, I would continue with the sleeve as the bypass is usually for those who need to lose a lot more.

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

not really. Both sleeve and bypass are done on "lightweights" and heavier folks. It's really a matter of personal choice - although the bypass is a better option for people with reflux.

I've never heard of either surgery being done outpatient - with either one you're usually in the hospital for a night or two - so that's odd.

if you have reflux, I'd strongly consider the bypass. It usually cures reflux. The sleeve often (but not always) makes it worse.

I had a gastric bypass because I already had terrible reflux. My doc said that the sleeve would make it worse.

I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, but is this the first surgeon you've seen? This is a major surgery and for me, I needed my team to be present and hold my hand like I was a baby. I had consults with 3 different offices before I settled on one. With my final choice, my surgeon emails me back within 24 hrs, my NUT(even though she doesn't gave answer emails on the weekend)gave me her cell number in case I needed her over Christmas. Anytime I've had to call the office I'm never greeted with voice mail. I mention all of this because it sounds like maybe you need a weight loss team that's more involved. My 1st consultation with my surgeon felt like I was talking to an old friend about my procedure and every encounter with her since has felt the same way.

Just a thought that I'm throwing out there that if your questions and concerns aren't being addressed the way you'd like, maybe another office can fulfill that need for you.

Sent from my SM-G900P using the BariatricPal App

I would give slight leeway given this was a holiday week when a lot of people are on vacation. If the communication doesn't pick up starting Tuesday, I might look elsewhere.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App