Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When did you start loving your sleeve?

I am 5 weeks post op and still eating very little not tolerating Protein drinks as well as I had hoped. I may be lactose intolerant. Still mainly liquids and getting in under 300 calories per day. I researched this for years but NOTHING prepares you for the reality of this procedure. I am full of regret. When did you guys start appreciating your sleeve? Do you still have regrets? When does it get better?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I dont really have regrets but i do wish i could really eat lol. I mean im 3 weeks post op and i can tolerate soft foods but i had to because i could do absolutly no Protein shakes all of them made me vomit and so did Water. Me and all liquids are not friends except warme tea with lemon and honey and gatorade go figure. But i started exercizing early since these are not the idea foods and drinks its working. And im able to eat a littlw more depending on what i eat. But im now 63lbs doqn so i gueas i started loving it the day i found out i lost 29lbs 2 weeks after surgery. I mean its not my beat friend but i appereciate it.

The Losers Bench

So, I'm 6 months out and I think the word 'regret' maybe gets used more than it should in the early post-op period. I felt like CRAP for a solid week, and then pretty weird for at least 6 weeks. I would have preferred to NOT feel that way, but it wasn't regret per se, it was more of a fatigue from the endless food planning, Protein counting, mild nausea, etc. It's HARD in the beginning and I don't think any of us can imagine what that 'hard' is like until it happens to us. It SUCKS, quite frankly, and around 4-6 weeks it becomes crystal clear just how much our life is going to change regarding eating and food and it's a bit of a shock when your brain really gets it.

Your additional lactose intolerance must be making this all even harder and I'm so sorry you're dealing with it in addition to all of the rest, but you'll work it out and one day, it won't be so hard any more. Where are you in your food advancement? Are you on soft foods yet? If so, there are things you can eat that aren't dairy that will up your calories and Protein and will help you feel better. One reason you're not feeling especially good is that you're still at a very low calorie count. Are you getting all your protein grams in? Are you able to drink 64 oz of Water daily? The protein + Water are the bare minimum necessary for you to heal and feel human. Let us know what you're eating daily and we might be able to make some suggestions for things that will help you out.

You can do this, even if it sucks right now :)

When I drink Protein shakes I use almond milk. The sleeve made my lactose intolerance way worse! I can't even tolerate Greek yogurt and barely string cheese! I was sleeved 10/21/16. I don't mind the surgery at all. I never ate much to begin with but I realize that I ate more than I am able to now that's for sure! It will get better. Just wish I could figure out how to get fluids down!

Sent from my SM-G935P using the BariatricPal App

I had the band for years, then I had the revision to sleeve in September 2016. Regret never entered my mind. For me, it's been so easy. The recovery for me was easier than the band, and on the 3rd day, it was as if I didn't have surgery. The post liquid phase sucks, no two ways around it but I had to do that for the band too. I love the fact that after 2-4 oz of food, I'm totally satisfied. No feeling of being stuck, no feeling of being nauseated, no sliming, and best of all my satisfied/full is like my normal big stomach felt but it's tiny. My taste buds haven't changed except that the thought of anything sweet is bleh to me. It doesn't even enter my mind to reach for anything sweet any more. I never cared for sweets but now, it's a true turn-off for me.

I think if I had nausea like many here, or got lactose intolerance, I would feel regretful during that time too but I guess I'm pretty lucky. I have a support group from the same doctor, and most of them are like me... Maybe it's her technique, not sure. I was cleared for all foods by the 5 week, so I was wondering if your surgeon has allowed other things other than Protein shakes (especially since you are having issues with them)? I stopped all Protein Shakes after the liquid phase week 1.

I had like 15 minutes of "what the hell did I do to myself?" after being forced on liquids for 6 weeks due to severe reflux and regurgitation (which I still have, by the way, but controlled okay with meds), but the benefits far outweighed the hassles of it at first. Taken off blood pressure meds, diabetes meds, and anti depressants the first month post sleeve. Yes, it was SO hard learning to live the new lifestyle, but once you're all healed up and get into a groove, you're going to really start loving your sleeve and the new life it brings.

I would say I really started to appreciate it when I was about 8 months post op and took a vacation to Maui. Now the old me always managed to gain at least 5+ pounds on vacation. This time I'd actually lost 2 pounds. I am 2 years, 4 months out, and still either maintain or lose on vacations. Same with holidays. Sure, I still have to do most of the work at this point, but if it wasn't for this surgery, I never would have had the motivation to. I can only hope it's the same for all of you, because it's a wonderful thing!

I swore to my surgeon and nutritionist that what symptoms I was experiencing were never going to end! They both promised me that my body would heal and turn a corner and I would feel somewhat normal again. I usually stay pretty optimistic but I was just like you...miserable and concerned. Just after thanksgiving (2 months post-op), it was like a switch and I was seriously good to go! Now I have energy, can eat just about anything, workout frequently and am loving all of it!! I was very sick, lactose intolerant, animal Proteins made me sick and was just weak; NOT a cheerleader of the surgery at that point. Today: go team go! WLS for the win!!! Lol

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

I am 5 weeks post op and still eating very little not tolerating Protein drinks as well as I had hoped. I may be lactose intolerant. Still mainly liquids and getting in under 300 calories per day. I researched this for years but NOTHING prepares you for the reality of this procedure. I am full of regret. When did you guys start appreciating your sleeve? Do you still have regrets? When does it get better?

Awww..I'm sorry you are having a hard time. Why do you feel regret? Did the procedure not go as you had hoped? The diet? The side effects? Your calories seem very low to me. I'm 6 weeks out and lactose intolerant as well, but with my Protein supplement Soups, drinks, etc. I still get between 800-900 calories a day.

I researched too..for over a year..read every book I could get my hands on..I watched every utube video of good and bad experiences and I've never had a moment of regret. I feel like it's actually easier than I thought it would be. I still go out and socialize..just now I have a take home box to eat for another meal. I've had some moments of adjustment..but I've just realized I needed to take time to get use to my new stomach..but regret? I'm happy to say I have none..hope things start looking up for you.

Edited by Lucky2Lose

I know what you're feeling! I e had regrets, but some days I'm good too. Some days I have "bad" eating days where everything feels stuck and heavy and some days that are "good" eating days. I'm just trying to be optimistic. My friend who also had the surgery told me and promised me that it will get better. meat is hard for me right now, it doesn't feel good going down even though I chew and chew... so once this subsides I think I'll feel better about this!

I literally started crying when I read all of your comments thank you to each and every one of you for taking the time to comment. The nausea has been severe I have to take phenergan suppositories it's so bad. I should be on soft foods by now but the doctor kept me in full liquids until the nausea gets under control. I do have an auto immune disorder so that may be hindering my progress. It's just difficult trying to get the liquids down when you are trying to keep from up chucking everything????. I just want to feel a little normal. If I drink anything it has to be ice cold or I'm nauseous. I'm usually pretty positive and I did this to save my life I just want to feel a little more normal. I did have a slow start I was in the hospital 10 days just because of the nausea. Thank you guys for your encouragement!

I literally started crying when I read all of your comments thank you to each and every one of you for taking the time to comment. The nausea has been severe I have to take phenergan suppositories it's so bad. I should be on soft foods by now but the doctor kept me in full liquids until the nausea gets under control. I do have an auto immune disorder so that may be hindering my progress. It's just difficult trying to get the liquids down when you are trying to keep from up chucking everything????. I just want to feel a little normal. If I drink anything it has to be ice cold or I'm nauseous. I'm usually pretty positive and I did this to save my life I just want to feel a little more normal. I did have a slow start I was in the hospital 10 days just because of the nausea. Thank you guys for your encouragement!

It will take time but it will be worth it, especially in your case! I hope you feel better soon!

Sent from my SM-G935P using the BariatricPal App

I loved it before I had it honestly I knew why I was doing it don't ever lose sight of that. I've been pretty damn uncomfortable a few times but at the end of the day don't lose your sense of excitement because it'll be SO worth it. It's tough adjusting to such a major lifestyle change no matter what it is, but unless real change needs to be attained we never make that leap. Keep your head up, change your mind. You can do this

I love mine already. Even when I eat 4 spoons of Soup and have to stop because I'm full. I'm not even 2 weeks out yet and I'm used to it. Even the chronic gas.