Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pain Meds - How Long Did You Take?

With my band surgery (trying to revise to sleeve). I only took the narcotics for two, technically 3 days. Third day was really only because I had bad cramps from TOM. But a year later I threw out a more than 3/4 bottle of the stuff.

I think I did take Tylenol a few times after though

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Use them as long as you need them. Not a thing wrong with that.

For the first week I took them as prescribed except at night because for some odd reason they give me insomnia. Second week it was as needed. If I was in pain I took them but it wasn't constant. After that I had to go back to work and maintain a clear head.... Or I would have took them longer.! Lol.

I think it was the 8th or 9th postop day before I felt like I could stop mine. My drain was removed on day 7 and I was able to cut back from every 4 to 5 hours to just once or twice a day after that. I've been completely off pain meds now for 3 days and I still have a little pain here or there but it's nothing I can't handle. I think the drain was causing most of my pain.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Only took the drip for a couple of hours after surgery and then, took nothing. Honestly felt fine, except for some nausea.

I think it was the 8th or 9th postop day before I felt like I could stop mine. My drain was removed on day 7 and I was able to cut back from every 4 to 5 hours to just once or twice a day after that. I've been completely off pain meds now for 3 days and I still have a little pain here or there but it's nothing I can't handle. I think the drain was causing most of my pain.

This is my hope. My drain comes out in the AM

Try getting a binder for your incision. I wore a compression top for about 4 weeks. It reduced the park n immediately.

I stopped mine in the hospital around 24 hours after surgery. Never did fill the prescription. Tylenol liquid worked fine the one or two times I felt pain at home. That said others may need it as we are all different as is our recovery.

When I asked for a refill of my oxycodone, my doctor's office said NO. But I'm getting by now ok with just Tylenol.

Try getting a binder for your incision. I wore a compression top for about 4 weeks. It reduced the park n immediately.

THIS!!! it seems to really help. I wear one everyday!

Well I was on a high dose of Percocet for back pain prior to surgery so they had to send me home on dilaudid for pain. I had quite a bit of pain around my main incision for two weeks and took the dilaudid up until then. After about two weeks I switched to Tylenol. Now 3.5 weeks out and no longer taking anything for pain.

Thanks all! I did get a refill from my doc but am going to hold on to them for as-needed occurrences. Have been on Tylenol only for two days and doing okay, however I feel exhausted! I'm cat napping throughout the day. Not sure if this is just a coincidence or if the narcotics were giving me an energy boost that I'm missing now??

Coincidence. Your body is adjusting to the lack of calories now AND you're still recovering from surgery. Narcotics don't give you energy.

@ I get what you mean by giving you energy. I feel the sAme way. Not sure energy is the right word but your body feels good, alittle high I suppose. I had to get regular Tylenol vs extra strength as it made me sleepy too.