Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stupid question, but do they strip you nude in surgery?

They made me strip and gave me a gown, but I must've seemed a bit apprehensive because they offered me some tear away panties, and I gladly accepted.

Most cases also get a catheter to pee so they need access. It was that time of the month during my surgery so it made me feel extra uncomfortable but looking back it was the least of my problems

VSG date: 11/22/16

HW: 225. SW:222. CW: 203

I was hoping maybe to not have to shave from the knee up!

Sent from my SM-J700P using the BariatricPal App

You will have on a hospital gown and be covered by a sheet. The only parts they will uncover are where the surgery is being done.

Most cases also get a catheter to pee so they need access. It was that time of the month during my surgery so it made me feel extra uncomfortable but looking back it was the least of my problems

VSG date: 11/22/16

HW: 225. SW:222. CW: 203

I did not have a catheter, my surgeon doesn't think the surgery is long enough to need one.

I was hoping maybe to not have to shave from the knee up!

Sent from my SM-J700P using the BariatricPal App

Just busted out laughing!!!! That's how I roll....darn, gotta shave then.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm odd. Yep imagine that. I took a pen and drew a face using my bellybutton as a mouth and wrote "just a little off the top". It is amazing what you can do on a toilet if you are given enough time.

I'm odd. Yep imagine that. I took a pen and drew a face using my bellybutton as a mouth and wrote "just a little off the top". It is amazing what you can do on a toilet if you are given enough time.

You never cease to make me belly laugh!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using the BariatricPal App

LOL...This is a funny post...No one wanted to see me naked....I'm sure for their own benefit no one uncovered anything. LOL

Sent from my LGUS991 using the BariatricPal App

Yes. And, FYI: If you've got an "inny" navel, do yourself a favor and clean it out with Q-tips before your surgery. Dip them in alcohol or something. Then use dry ones to dry the navel. Get the crud out so no one in the OR comments or glances askew. The nurses and staff will be so impressed.

Funny you should say this: when I was at my pre op appt on 12/20, the nurse told me to be sure to clean my belly button before I come in for surgery. I thought to myself, "is this really an issue?" lol

It was the time of month for me so they offered me tear away underwear and a large pad to wear.

Sent from my SM-J700T using the BariatricPal App

I haven't had my surgery yet, but when I did my shoulder surgery, I wish I was nude. When they were pulling the breathing tube, I started coughing and pee'd myself in my undies, no catheter. My anesthestitist was a friend and filled me in as to why they were off post surgery. I was more embarrassed over peeing myself than if they had me only in a gown

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

I'm an OR nurse, and you will come into the OR wearing a gown open to the back with nothing on under it. We're always very careful to avoid exposing any more of a patient's body than needs to be exposed. For abdominal surgeries, your gown is pulled up onto your chest, or a sheet/blanket is placed on you and then the gown removed under that and the sheet folded up, and the sheets/warming blankets over your lower body are folded down to around your hips, then your skin is prepped and draped. At that time, you're completely covered except for where the incisions are made in your abdomen. In MY operating rooms, no one lays exposed on the table for no reason. Patient dignity is always on my mind.

I've prepped, circulated and/or scrubbed on more cases than I can count and I honestly don't remember any details or really anything about a patient's body other than what was the focus of the surgery. For bariatric patients, I know they're generally heavy, generally have the procedure done laparoscopically and that it almost always goes quickly and with no problems.
Oh, I would remember @ 's note to the surgical team :) Those patients are the best!