Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am not a doctor, but... (post-op diet progression)

I'm two weeks post-op, struggling with Protein drink "burn out" I get sick to my stomach just looking at the drinks now. What can I do tp get in my Protein? I have another 9 days to go in first stage. Also struggle with Constipation. Help

Sent from my SM-J700P using the BariatricPal App

I was terribly sick of the protein shakes by the end of my first 2 weeks as well. I found zip-lock style freeze pop tubes on Amazon and used them to freeze Syntrax nectar drink (roadside lemonade flavor) into freeze pops and would eat those. I used unflavored Protein Powder in chicken and beef bouillon (the trick is to dissolve it in warm Water with a blender and then mix it with the hot bouillon) to get something more savory and not sweet. I drank apple cider (not an option for everyone because of the carbs, but maybe a Decaf herbal tea?) for something hot and sweet. I added unflavored protein powder to everything I could stand adding it to. (Didn't change the flavor, but changed texture for some things that I didn't like.) My surgeon included greek yogurt in the full liquids list, so I ate that for protein as well.

Another thing to keep in mind is that while it's GREAT if you can get the protein in the first couple of weeks, and you should certainly try to, the MOST important thing is the fluids. The body can get by with less than ideal protein for a while, but if you get dehydrated it can mean a trip to the ER, so if nothing else, get the fluids in.

For constipation, check with your team. I was advised to use a stool softener (Dulcolax) and if that didn't help in a day or two, to add Fiber to drinks (Metamucil) and if that didn't help to try Milk of Magnesia. And as a last-ditch effort if nothing else worked, I could try Magnesium Citrate. But my surgeon told me it's not abnormal to go several days between BMs early on after surgery because we're eating so much less bulk, and the high protein does tend to back us up. So not to expect a BM every day or necessarily even every other day. I've had to keep fiber added to my diet daily since surgery to keep things regular and add in stool softeners periodically. My PCP gave me a recipe for a "fiber applesauce" but it calls for prune juice and I just can't stomach it.

you should share that recipe, I'm one of those crazy folks who loved prunes and prime juice.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

you should share that recipe, I'm one of those crazy folks who loved prunes and prime juice.

1 cup unsweetened applesauce

1 cup unprocessed wheat bran

1/2 cup prune juice

mix well, store in refrigerator

each morning, take 1-2 Tbsp with 8 oz or more of Water.

My PCP says most of her patients, even those with IBS-C, manage to stay regular with this and don't need stool softeners or laxatives if they'll use this regularly and drink lots of Water.< /p>

I told her I couldn't stomach the prune juice, we talked about alternatives and I'm going to try to make some up with some fig preserves once I make it to the farmer's market again, I'll report on if that worked or not. :)

I'm glad you posted this but it is an absolute waste.

It is like walking into a heroine den and talking to people about being clean. The people that are food addicts are lost causes, nothing is going to stop them from self harm.

Wow. No cure for addiction does not mean no life absent our triggers. I know so many wonderful people living in recovery, including my mother with 21 years sobriety.

I am expecting to struggle with certain trigger foods (chocolate and baked goods for me) all my life. Avoiding them works best for me now, and very likely after the sleeve too.

The vast majority of us food addicts have successfully abstained many times. And eventually returned to these foods and/or beverages.

I love the original post on

N this thread. Thank you for the compassionate and clear reminder.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

1 cup unsweetened applesauce

1 cup unprocessed wheat bran

1/2 cup prune juice

mix well, store in refrigerator

each morning, take 1-2 Tbsp with 8 oz or more of Water.

My PCP says most of her patients, even those with IBS-C, manage to stay regular with this and don't need stool softeners or laxatives if they'll use this regularly and drink lots of Water.< /p>

I told her I couldn't stomach the prune juice, we talked about alternatives and I'm going to try to make some up with some fig preserves once I make it to the farmer's market again, I'll report on if that worked or not. :)

pear juice is what pediatricians use when kids won't drink prune juice. Try that

I've been hesitant about posting some things here simply because my surgeon's practice is a lot less conservative than most of the plans I've read about.

But eventually, I've been okay posting as long as I say "my surgeon wants me to do XX". People should be listening to their own surgeons and not fishing for permission to behave badly here.

If you're not going to listen to your surgeon, why are you even considering surgery? Obviously doing what YOU think is best has gotten you morbidly obese and sick. YOU are not a good source of behavior. Listen to your surgeon instead.

Absolutely. My surgeon is pretty liberal with her diet progression compared to many I've seen here as well. But each surgeon has developed their protocol based on their training and experience. After surgery when you're experiencing cravings and head hunger is not the time to compare my plan with yours and decide your surgeon is being too conservative because you're wanting to move more quickly. Follow your doctor's instructions. Period.

sent from mobile device

Great post! I wish I could believe that everyone would take it to heart, but I know better.

I'm talking about real food addicts. There are people that post here eat fried chicken with mashed potatoes and gravy their first week home. There is no hope for those people. If they are willing to ignore the pain and potential death of eating real food that early post-op, they are beyond helping.

I'm not talking about the person that has a hard time walking past the donuts in the office break room.

Read here long enough and you will see some truly amazing things.

I'm glad you posted this but it is an absolute waste.

It is like walking into a heroine den and talking to people about being clean. The people that are food addicts are lost causes, nothing is going to stop them from self harm.

Wow. No cure for addiction does not mean no life absent our triggers. I know so many wonderful people living in recovery, including my mother with 21 years sobriety.

I am expecting to struggle with certain trigger foods (chocolate and baked goods for me) all my life. Avoiding them works best for me now, and very likely after the sleeve too.

The vast majority of us food addicts have successfully abstained many times. And eventually returned to these foods and/or beverages.

I love the original post on
N this thread. Thank you for the compassionate and clear reminder.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Extraordinarily WELL DONE!! Complete and understandable information from a VERY credible perspective

Really great info! Since starting soft/solid food, I think I spit out more than I actually eat. After a few chews I think it's too dry and I just can't swallow. I can't fathom eating any kind of bread right now.

@@theantichick thank your for you well thought out post. It helps me to understand why I am doing something. Also, I've been wondering for days what's been going on inside my body and honestly there isn't much info about that. Most information just focuses on the surgery itself and not how the healing process progresses internally. If you or anyone else out there knows where I can find this info please share. Thanks again for taking the time to write out all that info out. It will help many people, maybe not all.