Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vomiting 2 weeks out - stomach bug or something else?

Hi everyone, I'm very new here (first post).. I had been meaning to find a good forum for support/info, but hadn't gotten around to it yet. Now I am really needing advice, and it's of course Christmas so I can't reach out to my surgical team.

I had RXY two weeks ago tomorrow, my recovery has been totally great to this point, a breeze. But as of about 3am yesterday I've been having bouts of "vomiting" every 4-5 hours. However, when I vomit, absolutely nothing is coming up. Not a morsel of food (and yes I was eating bits of things throughout the day--watermelon, a few banana slices, 2 T of mashed potato) or liquid, nor even any kind of stomach juices or bile. Normally, even if your stomach is totally empty and you're dry heaving, you at least get some of that super gross, yellow stomach acid. In every other respect, my vomiting episodes are normal, with the heaving and retching, and muscles seizing up. But I literally just get the pre-pukinh saliva in my mouth that I spit out. I feel fine in between these bouts of vomiting, until about 5 minutes before when I know it's coming. I may have a fever, but can't find my thermometer.

Now, at this point I will add that three days prior to my getting ill, my mother has what she says is the same thing. 24 hours of vomiting with nothing coming up, no stomach acid, no food or liquid. (Incidentally she also had a gastric bypass 8 years ago.)

My last instance of "throwing up" was around 3:30am this morning, so not sure if it's going to happen again. I had a few sips of Protein Drink, and lots of Water so far today. May or may not be related, but I do feel constipated, and my last BM was diarrhea about three days ago.

SO. I'm not sure if this is just a normal, poorly-timed case of a contagious stomach bug. It seems weird that I have not vomited up ANYTHING at all at any time though. Or, is there something wrong with my stomach? A fistula? A leak? I haven't had any abdominal pain to speak of. I also worry that if it IS just a stomach bug, all the vomiting may do some kind of damage inside as well.

Does anyone have any thoughts for me, or any similar experiences? I would be really grateful for any ideas or words of wisdom. It's terrible timing, since it's a holiday weekend and I can't reach my surgeon's office or the program RN. All I could do would be to go into Emergency... I just don't know.

Hannah in Oregon

I had RNY in 2014 and I ca't vomit, just heaving and retching. Usually if I've eaten too much or eaten something that doesn't sit well in my stomach. Some people can vomit and some can't. Having said that, it could be a stomach flu. But not being able to vomit is normal!

That's really interesting Odie! I had never heard this before. It does make me feel a little better.

I was just about to come on to ETA, my mom has talked me into going up to ED though, just to be on the safe side. Had another retching incident a few minutes ago, so...

Yes, better to be safe than sorry! When it happens, I feel as if my head is going to blow up! Not pleasant at all!

I believe you may have a virus however I would lay off the watermelon. When you feel as though you are ging to vomit place a cold compress under your chin across the throat area. I had a reaction to apple juice but the vomiting only last a few minutes. Eat some crushed ice and lots of Water to avoid dehydration. If this issue continues please contact your doctor. I am sure someone is on call.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Omg I've been going through the same thing! I've been perfectly fine for 2 1/2 weeks, but all of a sudden I've been retching to high hell and nothing comes out. It's driving me mad. I've had the worse case of dry mouth even though I've been drinking Water non stop. I haven't changed my diet or deviated from what my doctor has ordered at all so I don't think you have a stomach bug!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Could be a stomach bug. other causes of vomiting could be dumping (eating things with high sugar content...lay off the fruit and see if it makes a difference). My Protein shakes make me dump if I drink them too fast. I have a friend who said she didn't dump...but was having regular vomiting episodes. Guess what. That was how she dumped as they usually happened after eating a high carb item. I get sweaty and nauseous and dizzy and feel gross but don't vomit or have other gastro symptoms. other causes could be a stricture. I would call the doctor's office and see if they can help narrow it down.

I had surgery Nov.22.Twice I have thrown up foamy stuff.It was from eating too fast.Try eating slower.If that doesn't' help call your Dr.

Thanks for all the suggestions and info. Sorry it took me so long to reply, holidays and all... We did go in to ED, they did a CT so at least we could rule out and leaks or blockages. There wasn't anything like that going on. They didn't really give me a diagnosis. I assume it was just a stomach bug, it did stop a day or two after, and I haven't had any vomiting like that since. *knock on wood*

I have been having the same thing. I had RNY on the 5th of December. I was doing great. I even got a week of purée in and then all the sudden I was so sick. Could eat could drink. Dr told me it was inflammation so I am trying some over the counter anti acids to see if that helps. Today was the first day I didn't dry heave and could get liquids in. Hoping to try some Soup tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App