Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Three days post-surgery, the journey so far

Thank you for sharing!! I'm pre-op and I much appreciate your story and others -- helps me see the light at the end of the tunnel. And I'll start trying these meal ideas now not wait for surgery.

Your post about ice cream makes me realize I have one tip to offer though maybe you've heard it before. I'm lactose intolerant so I don't do ice cream but a great substitute is banana. Just banana. Peel and freeze ripe bananas (works best with very-ripe or almost-too-ripe). Run the frozen banana through the blender, nothing else just the banana. It comes out silky, creamy and delicious. The rich/light mouth feel totally satisfies when I crave ice cream. If you cut the bananas before freezing it's easier to make small portions.

Oh yeah I used to do the banana thing years ago, will start again when I'm cleared for fruits!

Im going under the knife tomorrow and unexpectedly very nervous..My doctor does only 1 day of Clear liquids prior to surgery and Clear Liquids for 2 days post op. 3 weeks of full liquids and 1 week of puree. I guess every doctor is different and has his own game plan.

Hey man I feel you, I was nervous right before too.

I watched your entire video, and basically you're me. Same height, age, approx starting weight, two kids, similar back story. I even work in law enforcement too.

DON'T BACK OUT. I'm only a little more than two months out, and I'll say what you said you've heard other say - Best thing I've ever done. I'm sure you've also heard, the only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. When you have the feelings of wanting to back out, think of this - if you hadn't backed out last time, you'd be at your goal weight be now and enjoying your life a lot more. If you back out now, you'll have to go through this again in a few years, when you could be enjoying being at your goal weight and all the health benefits it brings.

For what it's worth, I loved my italian food. And you know what - I don't miss it AT ALL. I'm sure I mentioned this in an earlier post, but during my two week liquid diet (and holy crap you only have to do one day you lucky bastard) I was craving chicken parm like I needed it to live.

Immediately after surgery, I lost all craving for it completely, and that is still the same today. I remember how good it is, I know that I would probably enjoy it if I had it right now. And I COULD have it right now if I wanted to (just less), but I have absolutely no desire for it. You're not going to miss it. And even if you do, ask if the food is worth the years of your life you'll lose to being overweight. For me it was a no brainer.

I wish you the best of luck, if you have any questions afterwards don't hesitate to drop me a line, you're welcome to call me if you want, just send a PM if you want my cell. Good luck and welcome to the club!

Still plugging along, everything is going great! Hit some more milestones - down 70 pounds now and BMI below 35 so if I had started at this weight I would officially be ineligible for surgery even with the co-morbidities.

I had a bunch of t-shirts I had gotten over the last few years that were a little too snug at the time. Tried some of them on but now they're too big :( So I went too fast to wear any of these. I guess that's OK, would rather have the weight lost than wear some shirts.

Had my first "bad" food last week and I survived! Went out somewhere with my family and didn't bring any food with me. For lunch I got a little wrap with turkey, carrots and lettuce, that was fine. About halfway through I ditched the wrap and just ate the turkey. Then we took the kids to the local ice cream place where they have homemade ice cream and I decided to try a scoop. Man, it was good! But I felt like crap later. No pain or anything, just sluggish so I won't try that again. It's still a learning process.

On 1/17/2017 at 10:22 PM, Tufflaw said:

That's awesome, good luck with the scrambled eggs! I make them similar to the way Gordon Ramsey makes scrambled eggs (but without the creme freche, if that's how you spell it). I put a little splash of skim milk and an ounce of shredded cheese, put the pan between low and medium, wait about a minute, pour in the eggs, shortly after start scrambling, then take them OFF the heat and scramble for a minute, then back on the heat for a bit, then off, and that's it. As soon as they're solid I'm done. Eggs are creamy, fluffy, delicious. I used to like that a little al dente and with the crispy edges but this is SO much better and easier to eat too. Here's the video that inspired me -

Also, lucky you with the mashed potatoes! I was told I wasn't allowed to eat them because of the starch

I just discovered your posts and want to tell you that I appreciate your level of detail. Very helpful. Thank you!

I'm glad I can be some help! These forums were very useful to me before (and after) my surgery, I'm just trying to give back.

Well today was a pretty kick-ass day!

Officially down 75 pounds in a little over three months, it's almost like magic! Also today for the time down below 240 for the first time in a looong time.

And foodwise, for dinner I FINALLY made a cauliflower Pizza Crust that didn't fall apart!

I did a few things differently, so I don't know which it was. Instead of grinding up a head of cauliflower, we bought some pre-packaged cauliflower rice at costco. Steamed it in the bag per the instructions on the bag. Drained the Water really well - last time I tried using paper towels to smush the water out while the cauliflower was in a strainer and that was just a disaster. A buddy of mine suggested putting it in a strainer, and then using a bowl to push the water out - worked much better!

Added two eggs, 1/2 cup of part-skim shredded mozzerella, 1/4 cup of grated parmesan cheese, some salt, garlic powder and italian seasoning, 2 eggs, mixed together in a bowl and then shaped into a circle on a baking sheet with some parchment paper. Baked at 425 for 25 minutes, flipped it over and baked for another 7 minutes. Flipped again, onto the pizza stone, added 1/2 cup of sauce, 1/2 cup of mozzerella, back in for 14 minutes. And DELICIOUS! I cut into quarters and one piece filled me up. The numbers are great too, it's 221 calories a slice, 11 carbs, 12 fat, 15 Protein. And it tastes REALLY good.

So overall, great day!

Hey@Tufflaw
Congrats on the 75 pounds. That's great. So happy for you. See u got a few more recipes for me :-). Im 8 weeks post op n 40 pds down myself. Havent been on here as much since return to work. Still getting accustomed to the new me n the fluctuating energy levels. Talk soon.

VSG 1/6/2017
SW 242 GW 140

Woohoo
...summer 2017 here we come :-)

Wow, I haven't posted here in almost two weeks! I'm still here and kicking. Things are continuing to go very well, the scale continues to give good numbers so that's great.

I "cheated" a little bit last week. It was my sister's birthday and I decided to have most of a piece of cake and two Cookies. Didn't sit well with me later. I didn't get sick or anything, just felt yucky and sluggish so, lesson learned.

Also I think my taste buds are totally changing. Went out to eat lunch today, which I've only done once or twice since surgery. Went to Buffalo Wild Wings to try their "Naked Tenders" which are basically grilled chicken tenders. I chose the Honey BBQ Sauce which I've had a million times and is not at all spicy. This time I could barely eat it. WAY too spicy, and didn't taste very good. My friend tried a bite and said it's definitely not spicy, so it's just me. Anyone else notice more a sensitivity to "spicy" foods?

Also, a little self-promotion if that's OK, I hope it's not against the rules. My wife and I have signed up to walk 39 miles in two days as part of the Avon Breast Cancer Crusade. Our team has pledged to raise at least $3,600 to help fight this disease. If you can spare any amount, your tax-deductible donation help support the Avon Breast Cancer Crusade's goal in fighting breast cancer. You can donate - or sign up to walk too! - here -> http://www.avonwalk.org/goto/teamk-rock

Thanks!

Things are still going great, the weight is still coming off but slowing just a bit and I'm fine with that. I've been noticing loose skin which I was hoping wasn't going to happen, but if the weight loss slows maybe it won't be that bad. Either way, I'd rather be healthy with loose skin than the way I was before, so I'm happy.

Found a new favorite snack - celery sticks! I was never big into celery before, but I love it now. I cut up a few stalks into little sticks and have it with hummus (I've been getting the Spinach Artichoke hummus from BJ's - delicious!) I had some the other day with some Peanut Butter as a dessert, and yesterday I found a chicken cheddar dip at Target (only 1 carb per serving! Also low fat and low cal), and had some of that with some celery sticks.

I'm also making my roasted brussels sprouts regularly and eating them several times a week with my meals.

I've noticed my calories are going up - still very low for my weight, but finally at the point that Myfitnesspal will actually record it (for those unfamiliar, it gives you a warning if you end a day with under 1200 calories).

Something new too - I bought a Veggetti Pro (spiralizer) this week, it lets you take veggies and basically turn them into noodles so you feel like you're eating Pasta without actually eating pasta. I bought some zucchinis and spiralized one into noodles (or Zoodles). It looked great, and I tried to make a garlic parmesan meal out of it. Ended up getting REALLY sick and couldn't even finish a few ounces of it. Not sure what happened. I'm pretty sure it wasn't the zucchini - I think I might have used too much olive oil in the pan, or too much salt. When I first made the noodles I put some sea salt on and a paper towel to draw out the Water so they wouldn't be soggy, I might have overdone it with the salt. Next time I'll use regular salt and much less, and only a small amount of olive oil.

I bought some pesto sauce at costco so I want to give that a shot, maybe tomorrow if I'm feeling bold. Anyone who knows how to cook this stuff and has any suggestions, let me know!

OK so I tried the zoodles again today with a new recipe. I had them cold this time, no salt. I spiralized a zucchini, mixed in 3.5 oz of chicken, and 60 grams of basil pesto sauce and ate it cold.

AMAZING!

It was absolutely delicious and totally filling. Looking forward to having it again soon.

20170402_143019.jpg

Ok I only had 5 days from my pre OK to my surgery date what can I do to shrink my liver that quick my bmi is 36 my surgery is may 2sd please help

Just had an interesting dinner, 3 oz of TURKEY salad. My wife took one of those turkey chunks they sell at Aldi's, it's pre-seasoned, she blended it up good and added some low-fat mayo, delicious with the seasoning it already had!

I have an Aldi's in town, and I would like to know the brand of pre-seasoned turkey they have. I'm still on a puréed diet and I could really use a change! Do you just eat it plain with the low fat mayo?