Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My question is for post menopausal women who have had VSG. I'll post my question in the comments!

Did anyone, post menopausal, start a period back up after VSG? I had a strange 3 day period about 6 months ago, otherwise I've not had one in about 2 years. Just wondering if there's anyone who's experienced this... Also do you have increased sex drive???

Im not post yet, getting there. however I have endometrial hyperplasia so I'm on progesterone and then was told to have a mirena so that it's more localized. Hoping to stop the pills soon. Anyway with both I shouldn't bleed at all, after surgery I did have some not a lot for about a week. It's finally stopped. Freaked me out at first as it's been a couple years without.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Sleeved and gallbladder removed Aug. 10th.

No, my periods never resumed (thank God), but I haven't had a period in 10 years or so. Honestly, I've had no weird side effects other than very itchy arms that started at 1 month PO and continues to this day. My incisions are already so faded (i had seven small incisions). hair loss has started at 4 months. I have thick hair, but every Shampoo (twice a week) I lose quite a bit; but was expecting that.

I'm only 4 weeks out but I've not had any issues with it restarting either. Can you all tell me if your weight loss seems much slower being post menopausal? I'm trying not to compare my weight loss to others..but it seems so much slower and I wonder how much is due to low hormone level.

I'm having my VSGA in early February, so i can't answer that yet. But I'm sure it had a lot to do with it. Everything seems slower already.

50 year old me!!

I've been in full surgical menopause for 4 years (radical hysterectomy for cervical cancer). Prior to the big C, I had lost 72 pounds on WW. I gained it all back plus another 40 after all my cancer surgeries. That 72 pounds took me nearly a year to lose. My weight loss since surgery (8/31/16) is currently 64 pounds. I'm not quite 4 months out.

So, even if I'm a slower loser (which I don't think I am), surgical menopause really seems to have little to no effect. What really seems to make an impact, is (1) am I getting enough fluids in (2) am I meeting my Protein goals (3) am I exercising and (4) am I eating the right food and not crap.

My Dr said this was normal after abdominal surgery. I also had hot flashes and night sweats for about two weeks.

Happened to me a right after surgery but nothing after that and it's been almost a year. I'm 57

I had my surgery 9 days ago and am post-menopausal for 3 years and after surgery I have had a very light period pretty much for the past 9 days. I am glad to follow this thread. I understand that it is normal now. Thanks

1 1/2 years into menopause... 3 weeks post-op... period started. Uggg

Glad to know I'm not the only one... just wish I knew why this happens. And hoping I don't get anymore. Thanks.

I am 3.5 yrs post menopause, have had no issues.

I had my surgery 9 days ago and am post-menopausal for 3 years and after surgery I have had a very light period pretty much for the past 9 days. I am glad to follow this thread. I understand that it is normal now. Thanks
I am 10 years postmenopausal and had my surgery 3/19. Thank goodness I have had no issues with spotting or anything like that!! If I had heard of that being a possibility, I am not sure I would have had the surgery. I had endometriosis quite bad when I was still having my period, and I wouldn't risk that again for anything!

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

I was reading up on this yesterday. So evidently, obesity affects our periods, to the point that we can think we are in menopause. As we lose weight, if it wasn't true menopause, then the body resumes it's normal cycle. I also wonder if it's triggered by the release of estrogen from our fat cells as we shrink. Anyway, I just made an appointment with an ObGyn because I want to make sure everything is working properly and that there is no issue as I've been experiencing increased activity shall we say since December and I'm 57.