Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What was your defining moment?

I didn't have an "a-ha" moment. I just woke up one morning and decided to research weight loss surgery in Japan, which lead to Mexico, which lead to here. The more I read, the more excited I became and I knew that this was what I needed to do.

That said, clearly something was working on my subconscious all this time for me to even to do it (I remember being surprised at wanting to do that search in the first place). I love travelling, but I am now reluctant to do it as I don't know if I will be able to fit into plane seats, or do the hikes I'm interested in, or whatever the case may be. Although I was mostly just overweight for most of my life, I've gained 100 pounds in the last 10 years. And no matter what I do, it seems that the scale keeps going up from year to year. Also, here in Japan they have mandatory health checks (usually done at work) and although I don't like doing them (your information is not kept private from your employer) the reality is I can see how my cholesterol and blood sugar and everything else is just getting worse from year to year. I've also had some health issues in the last year, and that, combined with the fact that I'm all alone here, has made me worried about how I would care for myself if something bad happened to me. And it's little things too, like not fitting into chairs with arm rests, taking selfies with my students and realising that I am literally more than double their size, not being able to find any shoes that fit anymore, being on the high end of plus-sized clothing, etc. I'm done with it. I want my life back. And six weeks from today I will be doing my pre-op tests on the eve of my surgery, and I'm so eager to get it done. I can't believe I waited this long to start this process, but I guess it's better than late than never.

I honestly don't think it was one moment; but I used to be athletic and cute

I injured my ankle and the weight just packed on after that. I didn't want to go out with friends anymore. Had no interest in dating. No energy for activities with my son.

Summer of 2015, at 260 lbs, I could not get on a ride a Six Flags. I was embarrassed, and my son was pissed (not at me, but at the park for not making rides to accommodate fat people).

For the first time, earlier this year, I needed a seatbelt extender on a flight from Chicago to Boston.

I'm single, so I also noticed that men began to look right through me, or avoid eye contact altogether (not that I want attention like that, but in my cuter days I'd at least get eye contact and a smile lol). I just began to realize that I couldn't be myself in the body I was in. I hated looking around a room to realize I'm the fattest one in it.

The constant back and neck pain. I stopped having my period. Constant headaches. Brain fog. Honestly, the list is too long to drill it down to a single moment.

I just got sick and tired of being sick and tired. And I became lonely. And I felt like I was letting son down. I'm still struggling with knowing that I can't eat 4 tacos in one sitting, because... well... duh, tacos are amazing, but I'm excited to begin learning how to love foods that will love me back

. You sound just like me!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

So glad that you made the decision to be sleeved. I toiled over this decision for 5 years and finally said hay I have to take care of me. So I did. 3 weeks post op down 21 lbs and I am now a resident of onederland. God has been so good to me and I feel truly blessed to have this opportunity to be healthy again.

For me it just clicked one day. I was 25 years old and over 300 pounds. I didn't fit on all the rides at amusement parks, I was always afraid of not fitting in booths, I was winded and sweaty after a flight of stairs, I had even broken toilet seats. I just knew I had to do something if I wanted to have kids someday and be around when my kids have kids. I had to do something if I wanted to be alive to care for my parents when they're old. I had to do something if I didn't want to have a heart attack in 5-10 years. So I began my journey to become healthier and I just got sleeved a week ago!

Thanks so much for your reply and support. Congratulations on your surgery and your success! And congratulations on being in onederland! I am so excited to finally be on my way to getting there! Good luck to you!

You look awesome. Mine was when I reached 262 remembering when I use to say not going to hit 200 & found myself saying that about 300. Also when I became pre-diabetic & other health issues becoming worse. Even walking was harder & woke up every morning with aches/pain. I had sleeve surgery on 09/19. Down to 19 - this morning, no pain in mornings.

Sent from my SM-S902L using the BariatricPal App

Thank you. When my doc said I was .3 away from being full diabetic, I was scared to death. I also had such pain in my joints... my knee and hip were hurting me so much. But, since surgery, I have been pain fed. Glad we both took the plunge. I wish you continued success.

You look awesome. Mine was when I reached 262 remembering when I use to say not going to hit 200 & found myself saying that about 300. Also when I became pre-diabetic & other health issues becoming worse. Even walking was harder & woke up every morning with aches/pain. I had sleeve surgery on 09/19. Down to 19 - this morning, no pain in mornings.

Sent from my SM-S902L using the BariatricPal App

This surgery is something I considered for years. I had friends who had it done but I thought it wasn't for me . After gaining a lot of weight my highest was 270 my feet hurt , had trouble walking and couldn't take my kids places where there was a lot of walking . The last straw was I was away with my hubby for our 20th anniversary and we were taking a pottery class . All of a sudden my chair broke and I was on the floor. OMG was soooo embarrassing!! That was it I scheduled my consultation. Was sleeved January 30 and am down 46 pounds since then . Feeling so much better, so much healthier , I can walk more with no pain and I'm not even half way to my goal yet. This surgery was way easier than I expected and I also had my gallbladder removed . So glad I did it . If you are thinking about it just take the plunge you will feel so much better!

In complete transparency-
My "moment" is when I started to do "Olympic gymnastics" just to wipe myself on the toilet. I never admitted that to friends and family, but I didn't want to live my life in the condition or worse because of my weight.
Everything else just added to that. I felt so ashamed this past November when I visited long time family friends feeling and looking huge. I felt like such a failure in so many ways.
I was not comfortable in my skin, in my clothes, in my Dr's office, and more and more in my life. At age 47, the thoughts of life expectancy became a reoccurring thought. Will I love to see my 9 year old get married? Will I love to see my grandkids? Will I be home bound? While I realize I am a food addict, attending addiction recovery meetings weren't enough for me to make lasting change. So while I resisted surgery, trying to just do the same thing surgery would do for me, I failed at it.

So then the dialogue changed to, If not now, then when? How bad does it need to become, before I allow myself the ability to leverage surgery."

Defining moment was almost dying from sepsis from pneumonia, getting Type 2 diabetes, hypertension and hyperlipidemia at the young age of 59. I knew I'd never see my granddaughter graduate from high school or college.