Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What was your defining moment?

My defining moment was when I realized that I had gone up like 6 sizes in the last couple of years. I felt ashamed in pics and when I saw the bottom pic of how big I was at my aunts funeral, I cried. I have tried every diet known to man. Then one day I said to get something you never had you have to do something you never had. That's when I finally buckled down to take steps to do all pre req for surgery. I am so grateful that I have journeyed into this lifestyle. I started out in July 242 lbs. With the direction of the dietician consults, I managed to lose 23 lbs (242 down to 219) by my surgery date . The pic with the bonnet on left shows me 4 days after surgery and the one on the right shows me almost 2 weeks post op. I was shocked that I could see a difference. Since those pics were taken, I have lost another 6 lbs. I'm in onederland and it will be my permanent address from now on...I am going to reach my goal of 150 lbs and no food tastes as good as that victory will, this I know.

So, when was your epiphany? When did you say enough is enough?post-285151-0-39677100-1482539418_thumb.jpg post-285151-0-28580300-1482539435_thumb.jpg

Heart scare at a young age was too much, when it was just because I was fat and not eating well enough.

If I was healthy I would still be fat though, I didn't mind being fat, I hated not being healthy though.

My wife had to go in for brain surgery in April and I couldn't stay with her because my blood pressure spiked while I was sick. The Dr made me promise to take a blood pressure pill before leaving the pharmacy and call him in the morning to let him know that I was still alive. My blood pressure was 222/111. I couldn't get my blood pressure under 160/110 without meds afterwards. Now it is 110-120/80-85.

20160918_071932_zps0t0nuhwh.jpg

Well that is a perfect B/P... that is also great that now you have it under control ... great post.

My wife had to go in for brain surgery in April and I couldn't stay with her because my blood pressure spiked while I was sick. The Dr made me promise to take a blood pressure pill before leaving the pharmacy and call him in the morning to let him know that I was still alive. My blood pressure was 222/111. I couldn't get my blood pressure under 160/110 without meds afterwards. Now it is 110-120/80-85.

20160918_071932_zps0t0nuhwh.jpg

I have heart issues too and at 38 that was not a good thing for me. Also, I didn't like being fat. It made me feel sad to know that I had done this to me so I wanted to do something good for myself due to for so many years I was bad to my body. I thank God for having the sleeve. It has really changed a lot about how I think about life and living a healthy life.

Heart scare at a young age was too much, when it was just because I was fat and not eating well enough.

If I was healthy I would still be fat though, I didn't mind being fat, I hated not being healthy though.

Dknal2 you got this. Your doing great

Mine was this summer. I have always been an outdoors guy. Grew up hunting a fishing. Took the family on a float trip on the buffalo River. I couldn't get out of the damn canoe. I literally had to roll out into the river then stand up. Went to the dr and was 404! A coworker had just had the sleeve and we started talking about it. I did all the steps and was 351 on surgery day nov 30. Dec 19 I was 326 going to get on the scale christmas morning and see what it says.

My breaking point: Not to mention my heart attack in 2011 at the age of 43. but the fact that I gained 70lbs since my heart attack was my breaking point. I had a heart attack in 2011 after taking diet pills for 5 weeks and losing 12 lbs.

just quite tired of not being able to shop at the mall like most people except for Macy's. Also it feels embarrassing to actually shop for clothes that you don't feel comfortable in or feel as though you look good in them. The sad part is.. I don't know how I got here...

Having this surgery is a must for me. I started my WLS journey in April at 251 lbs, finally here I am at... 237 lbs-- my pre surgery weight.. 12/27/16 is the day my new healthy life begins.. excited and nervous.

I played the diet pill rodeo as well. I'm glad you decided to be sleeved and what a great Christmas gift you are receiving. I wish you well and pray for a speedy recovery.

My breaking point: Not to mention my heart attack in 2011 at the age of 43. but the fact that I gained 70lbs since my heart attack was my breaking point. I had a heart attack in 2011 after taking diet pills for 5 weeks and losing 12 lbs.

just quite tired of not being able to shop at the mall like most people except for Macy's. Also it feels embarrassing to actually shop for clothes that you don't feel comfortable in or feel as though you look good in them. The sad part is.. I don't know how I got here...

Having this surgery is a must for me. I started my WLS journey in April at 251 lbs, finally here I am at... 237 lbs-- my pre surgery weight.. 12/27/16 is the day my new healthy life begins.. excited and nervous.

Thank you for your words of encouragement... you are doing great as well, working your sleeve. I wish us both success in this journey and I wish you well.

Dknal2 you got this. Your doing great

Mine was this summer. I have always been an outdoors guy. Grew up hunting a fishing. Took the family on a float trip on the buffalo River. I couldn't get out of the damn canoe. I literally had to roll out into the river then stand up. Went to the dr and was 404! A coworker had just had the sleeve and we started talking about it. I did all the steps and was 351 on surgery day nov 30. Dec 19 I was 326 going to get on the scale christmas morning and see what it says.

@Dknal2. Thanks for your support

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

You look fabulous! Is that a six pack shining through?(smile). To read that women my age have heart problems like me, overweight like me, determined like me....let's me know I landed in this forum for a reason..."soul searching" My friends don't understand, my family think I'm strong as a bull...but, I'm not! My health issues are killing me. I can feel my health deteriorating. I'm not as vibrant as I was 4 years ago. My defining moment:

Last year, they found a blood clot lunged in my heart. I needed open heart surgery but because I was so overweight they doctor said I wouldn't make it because they would have difficulty getting to my heart because of all the fat. He refused to do the surgery. They shipped me to another hospital to the top heart surgeon in Michigan. He fixed it without open heart surgery. He also said I need to lose the weight! At that moment, not being able to save my life because I was fat was a moment I will never forget. I was embarrassed but, I'm too strong minded to be defeated. I'm going to change my life for the better..NOW! I can't wait to get this surgery...It's a MUST!

Sent from my SM-G935T using the BariatricPal App

@@Dknal2 Hey, I thought you were a blonde! :P My moment came when I had closed in to less than 20 lbs away from weighing 500 lbs. I had tried all sorts of things, but I was having no real success. Getting into the program got my head reset and focused more than I had been in years.

I was in very good health except for being overweight, or so I thought. Almost everything was good, but I had crept up to the low end of diabetic. BP was normal, cholesterol was 142, triglycerides were 90, but I had crossed that threshold where really bad things were going to start happening with my blood sugar.

Currently I am down to 364, and my H1ac just came back at 5.7, almost a full point down from when I started. BP actually runs a bit low, and I suspect my other numbers are still very good. My original goal was to hit 325, but I am aiming for 300 now. We'll see how that goes. I've only been at this for a little more than six months. :D

@@Dknal2

Defining Moment:

I am a type one diabetic. I went into ketoacidosis. Eight days in intensive care. My internal organs slowly shut down. My heart stopped the Dr. brought me back.

What inspired me to get my crap together. My mother and father in law diagnosed with stage 4 cancer at the same time. Both were placed in hospice care with three months to live . They handled knowing they were dying with such grace. They passed away within four days of each other.

I knew If they could go through all of that, The least I could do is get my health back and not waste any more of my life.

Giving God all the glory because you are still here with us and he made a way ????????. I truly am glad that you are doing better. I thank God for this surgery because I really feel it has and will save my life. The aspect of shopping and looking cute in clothes is an added bonus. Not having heart issues, joint pain, sleep apnea, high cholesterol, being prediabetic or as my doctor said early stage of diabetes, and not having SOB after doing barely nothing is my goal. I want to bust 40 years old wide open as a beautiful healthy diva. If you ever want to private message me feel free, I don't really have friends, I have like 2 really close ones , but I have kept this surgery to myself except my family. I can't say that I have had uber support but I can say that this forum has provided me strength from strangers that I never would have imagined. So, utilize this forum... there are great people here. You have started on a life saving journey and I'm so proud of your bravery for doing so. Oh and thanks for the compliment...just a little belly but no six pack, lol...I wish it was a six pack but when I'm able to exercise, I'm gonna try to rip this little belly.

You look fabulous! Is that a six pack shining through?(smile). To read that women my age have heart problems like me, overweight like me, determined like me....let's me know I landed in this forum for a reason..."soul searching" My friends don't understand, my family think I'm strong as a bull...but, I'm not! My health issues are killing me. I can feel my health deteriorating. I'm not as vibrant as I was 4 years ago. My defining moment:

Last year, they found a blood clot lunged in my heart. I needed open heart surgery but because I was so overweight they doctor said I wouldn't make it because they would have difficulty getting to my heart because of all the fat. He refused to do the surgery. They shipped me to another hospital to the top heart surgeon in Michigan. He fixed it without open heart surgery. He also said I need to lose the weight! At that moment, not being able to save my life because I was fat was a moment I will never forget. I was embarrassed but, I'm too strong minded to be defeated. I'm going to change my life for the better..NOW! I can't wait to get this surgery...It's a MUST!

Sent from my SM-G935T using the BariatricPal App

Edited by Dknal2

I was a lot heavier than you and had been that heavy for a long time. I love myself so I really didn't know the difference between being massive and being normal sized. So I was't unhappy being large because I just accepted myself as I was.

I didn't feel like being large held me back from anything. Now that I have lost weight and know the difference, I would never ever want to be that large again. I am far more comfortable even with loose skin, being smaller, and life is just a lot easier in big and small ways.

I have heart issues too and at 38 that was not a good thing for me. Also, I didn't like being fat. It made me feel sad to know that I had done this to me so I wanted to do something good for myself due to for so many years I was bad to my body. I thank God for having the sleeve. It has really changed a lot about how I think about life and living a healthy life.