Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For the Newbies or those considering the sleeve

Hi everyone! I remember looking all throughout these threads prior to my surgery. I kept searching and searching the threads trying to convince myself I was doing the right thing. I read all the wonderful success stories and the horror stories, in the hopes that I would be able to gear myself up for what was to come. I was sleeved on 9/13/16. Now I want to share my three month update and experience with you. First, here are my stats:

Starting Weight: 296

Day of surgery Weight: 280

CW:215

This has been the best decision I have ever made for myself! I have tons of energy, and am truly enjoying this new lifestyle change that I have embraced. I will say that after surgery your body completely changes. For example, 7 years ago I was 200 lbs and a size 14. The minute I hit 210 I became a size 16. Now, after surgery, I am 215 and wear a size 14 again. It's crazy. My husband swears I am thinner than I ever have been since he's known me, even though the scale doesn't match his assertion. Maybe it's the muscle I've built and the excess skin that has added to the scale( yes, I have excess skin). I don't know. But I do know that I feel fabulous. Prior to surgery, I took a "worst case scenario" approach regarding what to expect after surgery. Luckily, I wound up with the best case scenario! I haven't lost any hair, I never regretted my surgery and I only suffered from bad cravings for the first two weeks. I credit a lot of this to my nutritionist from Dr. Tom Umbach's office in LV. She has an unconventional approach. I was allowed to eat after two weeks. I was instructed to count carbs and Protein, not calories. She also insisted that I don't bother measuring my food. This advice was life saving for me, as I experienced physical hunger after two weeks and I could eat more than most of the posters on here (about 1/2 cup). I was afraid that something was wrong with my sleeve, but my nutritionist assured me not to worry. I kept doing what she advised and the weight keeps falling off. I also noticed that, for some reason, as the months went by, I developed more restriction that what I originally had after surgery. Some days I have more restriction, some days less. Although I eat less food, I actually eat more times in the day than I ever have before (about 6 times). The difference is that eat much healthier foods. I actually crave them. Every now and then I get a naughty craving. I'm a CA girl and I love Mexican food. I don't always deny myself the craving. Sometimes I indulge and get 1 rico taco and take off the extra corn tortilla. I have gotten cravings for Chinese, but considering that is all carbs and sugar I usually have a pickle to curb those cravings. I've found sour foods do the trick when it comes to craving starch. Don't get me wrong, there have been a time or two that I've had a few spoonfuls of rice or noodles from Panda Express, but they're never as good as I imagine and I don't want to risk temptation with going to better Chinese restaurants to try theirs.

Bottom line, this surgery worked for me because I eventually came to accept that some foods (starchy carbs) are not every day foods. And other carbs, while good and sometimes necessary, should be limited and always accompanied by protein. Every day I am faced with the choice of eating foods to promote health or foods to promote obesity. I understand that these are choices I must make make everyday, at every meal for the rest of my life in order to prevent the weight returning. This surgery allowed me to come to a place where I actually am capable of making the right choices and am confident that I can continue to do so. I must remember that even though I couldn't have done this without the surgery, the surgery will do no good if I don't continue to keep my head in line with healthy eating habits.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by Nikosmama06

What a great share.

I didn't have surgery at Blossom but I found that their staff and nutrition information to be top knot have. I refer to it often especially for supplement suggestions.

They seems to be more realistic and advanced than most programs.

Curious as to how many carbs and Protein you have a day.

Hi everyone! I remember looking all throughout these threads prior to my surgery. I kept searching and searching the threads trying to convince myself I was doing the right thing. I read all the wonderful success stories and the horror stories, in the hopes that I would be able to gear myself up for what was to come. I was sleeved on 9/13/16. Now I want to share my three month update and experience with you. First, here are my stats:

This has been the best decision I have ever made for myself! I have tons of energy, and am truly enjoying this new lifestyle change that I have embraced. I will say that after surgery your body completely changes. For example, 7 years ago I was 200 lbs and a size 14. The minute I hit 210 I became a size 16. Now, after surgery, I am 215 and wear a size 14 again. It's crazy. My husband swears I am thinner than I ever have been since he's known me, even though the scale doesn't match his assertion. Maybe it's the muscle I've built and the excess skin that has added to the scale( yes, I have excess skin). I don't know. But I do know that I feel fabulous. Prior to surgery, I took a "worst case scenario" approach regarding what to expect after surgery. Luckily, I wound up with the best case scenario! I haven't lost any hair, I never regretted my surgery and I only suffered from bad cravings for the first two weeks. I credit a lot of this to my nutritionist from Dr. Tom Umbach's office in LV. She has an unconventional approach. I was allowed to eat after two weeks. I was instructed to count carbs and Protein, not calories. She also insisted that I don't bother measuring my food. This advice was life saving for me, as I experienced physical hunger after two weeks and I could eat more than most of the posters on here (about 1/2 cup). I was afraid that something was wrong with my sleeve, but my nutritionist assured me not to worry. I kept doing what she advised and the weight keeps falling off. I also noticed that, for some reason, as the months went by, I developed more restriction that what I originally had after surgery. Some days I have more restriction, some days less. Although I eat less food, I actually eat more times in the day than I ever have before (about 6 times). The difference is that eat much healthier foods. I actually crave them. Every now and then I get a naughty craving. I'm a CA girl and I love Mexican food. I don't always deny myself the craving. Sometimes I indulge and get 1 rico taco and take off the extra corn tortilla. I have gotten cravings for Chinese, but considering that is all carbs and sugar I usually have a pickle to curb those cravings. I've found sour foods do the trick when it comes to craving starch. Don't get me wrong, there have been a time or two that I've had a few spoonfuls of rice or noodles from Panda Express, but they're never as good as I imagine and I don't want to risk temptation with going to better Chinese restaurants to try theirs.

Bottom line, this surgery worked for me because I eventually came to accept that some foods (starchy carbs) are not every day foods. And other carbs, while good and sometimes necessary, should be limited and always accompanied by Protein. Every day I am faced with the choice of eating foods to promote health or foods to promote obesity. I understand that these are choices I must make make everyday, at every meal for the rest of my life in order to prevent the weight returning. This surgery allowed me to come to a place where I actually am capable of making the right choices and am confident that I can continue to do so. I must remember that even though I couldn't have done this without the surgery, the surgery will do no good if I don't continue to keep my head in line with healthy eating habits.

Like you I've been searching and researching on these threads and have made the decision to do this. Thank you for sharing your story! Just makes my decision that much more easier to stick to. I'm excited, although I've got a few weeks till my initial appointment. Time will pass by though. thanks again and congrats!

Bottom line, this surgery worked for me because I eventually came to accept that some foods (starchy carbs) are not every day foods. And other carbs, while good and sometimes necessary, should be limited and always accompanied by Protein. Every day I am faced with the choice of eating foods to promote health or foods to promote obesity. I understand that these are choices I must make make everyday, at every meal for the rest of my life in order to prevent the weight returning. This surgery allowed me to come to a place where I actually am capable of making the right choices and am confident that I can continue to do so. I must remember that even though I couldn't have done this without the surgery, the surgery will do no good if I don't continue to keep my head in line with healthy eating habits.

Like you I've been searching and researching on these threads and have made the decision to do this. Thank you for sharing your story! Just makes my decision that much more easier to stick to. I'm excited, although I've got a few weeks till my initial appointment. Time will pass by though. thanks again and congrats!

Thank you!! I wish you the best on your journey to health!

Nikosmama06 thanks so much for sharing! I am not considering the sleeve .. I just got it done a week ago but this post was really good for me to read because today is the first day I've experienced the sleever's remorse I've heard so much about. My dad made French fries and I wanted them so badly I cried! Since then I've had a couple of "oh god what have I done..this is permanent" moments. I know I did the best thing for my health but I was still feeling a bit depressed about it. But your post gave me hope! I strongly believe that in a few months when I'm not restricted to only liquids and I'm seeing the changes in my body I will be saying the same exact things about it being the best decision I've ever made! Thanks again and I wish you continued luck on your journey!

This was great to read and congratulations! I have my first appointment in a week and I just joined the app today! I have been in it non stop to read different stories and hear all the need to knows. I'm nervous but I'm very young and already on seven daily medications.. I also have PCOS. Thanks for sharing your journey definitely pushes me to push on!