Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone use Dr. Fitzer at Virginia Bariatric?

So I went to the Staple Club support group in Reston last night. It was my first time attending. Nurse Azra Kukic led the discussion. It was a great group of people, with a good mix of pre-op, post-op, and veterans. Lots of open discussion, lots of time for Q&A. No food served, but free Water and coffee. LOL. Azra tried to end on time, but there was a lot of informal discussion after 7:30, and there were still some people in the room talking when I finally left around 8:00. I learned a lot. I highly recommend these groups to anyone. They are open to all, including spouses and other "support system"-type folks.

I wouldn't. When I was at that phase I thought about it but the paper says not to. It's up to you. Just be smart. You don't wanna upset your pouch so early into recovery. That time is coming when you can eat everything. Just be safe.

Thanks. I’m a rule follower - just wasn’t sure if crab would be interchangeable with tuna/salmon.

Luckily I love tuna and salmon :)

How's it going, Tera? Losing 15 pounds in 3 weeks is tough but possible. I've lost 14 pounds in 2 weeks on "Phase 1" of the South Beach Diet. I've also lost at about the same rate when I was on a medical weight loss program at Fair Oaks Hospital, drinking Opti Fast shakes. If it takes you a bit more than 3 weeks, well, that's why they're not pressuring you with a surgery date yet. They want you to be where you need to be to have the best chance for the best outcome. So do what you can to drop the pounds but don't sweat it if it takes a few more days or weeks than you had hoped for. Just keep the scale moving in right direction and you *will* get there.

:) I am doing ok...it’s been a week...I’ve been logging all my food and following low carb diet...I went back to the gym this week...I am down an additional 4/5 pounds. I’ll keep you posted...next apt is April 4

Had my apt this morning with Suzanne....I lost the 10% that the insurance required...they are submitting everything. How long does this process normally take? Did everyone get a surgery date before they were approved by their insurance?

1 minute ago, tera73 said:

Had my apt this morning with Suzanne....I lost the 10% that the insurance required...they are submitting everything. How long does this process normally take? Did everyone get a surgery date before they were approved by their insurance?

CONGRATS!!!! Heather is really good about staying on the insurance company. I got mine the same day. I scheduled my surgery once I lost the weight Dr. Fitz wanted me to. My approval was really fast. CONGRATS again and reach out when you have any questions.

CONGRATS!!!! Heather is really good about staying on the insurance company. I got mine the same day. I scheduled my surgery once I lost the weight Dr. Fitz wanted me to. My approval was really fast. CONGRATS again and reach out when you have any questions.

Thank you!! I’m sure once I get a date and the nerves set in I’ll have a ton of questions!!

1 minute ago, tera73 said:

Thank you!! I’m sure once I get a date and the nerves set in I’ll have a ton of questions!!

It'll be worth it. They are the best. I go to my 3-month post op next Friday and I can't wait to see them.

I thought I would jump on the "official Dr. Fitzer thread" to say Hi. I had my initial consultation with him this week and I know I made the right choice of surgeon. Everyone there seems to be great! I really appreciate Dr. Fitzer's no B.S. style. This is going to be a LONG six-month wait to make it through the insurance requirements.....

You’ll like them all! They are very helpful through the process. My insurance was a pain....dealing with them and their requirements. Dr Fitzers staff made it easier.... my year seems to have flown by. Good luck! Everyone here is very helpful as well and very motivating!

1 hour ago, reboot said:

I thought I would jump on the "official Dr. Fitzer thread" to say Hi. I had my initial consultation with him this week and I know I made the right choice of surgeon. Everyone there seems to be great! I really appreciate Dr. Fitzer's no B.S. style. This is going to be a LONG six-month wait to make it through the insurance requirements.....

Welcome to the club, my friend. Dr. Fitz and his crew are the best. He takes his profession very serious! He will always steer you straight. Just take it one day at a time. I will tell you that you just made one of the best decisions of your life to have weight loss surgery. I is a life changer and had clearly changed my life and i'm only 3 months post op. Surgery and recovery were flawless. No gas pain. No nausea, No body pains. NO vomiting. It;s been awesome.

I'm here if you have any questions or concerns. I got your back bro. We are all in this thang together. Good luck.

1 hour ago, tera73 said:

You’ll like them all! They are very helpful through the process. My insurance was a pain....dealing with them and their requirements. Dr Fitzers staff made it easier.... my year seems to have flown by. Good luck! Everyone here is very helpful as well and very motivating!

Well said!!!! :1314_thumbsup_tone5:

1 hour ago, reboot said:

Hi - welcome! I had my surgery with Dr. Fitzer March 5th and am doing well. I hope your 6 months passes quickly! Please ask any questions you have. Perhaps I'll see you at a meeting? I've not attended one yet, but plan to in the near future.

Roxine

3 hours ago, reboot said:

Welcome, reboot! I'm about 1.5 months into what will likely be a 6-month journey for me, as well. This forum is a great source of information and support. So are Dr. Fitzer's monthly support groups. Ask Heather for a list of the support group dates/times, and try to make it out if you can. There is also a 'secret' Facebook group for the support group. You'll get an invite to join that group the first time you attend a support group.

Wow - I am overwhelmed by how wonderful and encouraging you all have been. Thank you!!!!

3 hours ago, tera73 said:

THANK YOU!!! It looks like their staff is going to be amazing. I sure hope the time flies by for me too!

2 hours ago, SampTheChamp said:

Welcome to the club, my friend. Dr. Fitz and his crew are the best. He takes his profession very serious! He will always steer you straight. Just take it one day at a time. I will tell you that you just made one of the best decisions of your life to have weight loss surgery. I is a life changer and had clearly changed my life and i'm only 3 months post op. Surgery and recovery were flawless. No gas pain. No nausea, No body pains. NO vomiting. It;s been awesome.

I'm here if you have any questions or concerns. I got your back bro. We are all in this thang together. Good luck.

Wow - thank you... what an encouragement... I hope I am half as lucky as you post op!

2 hours ago, Roxine said:

Hi - welcome! I had my surgery with Dr. Fitzer March 5th and am doing well. I hope your 6 months passes quickly! Please ask any questions you have. Perhaps I'll see you at a meeting? I've not attended one yet, but plan to in the near future.

Roxine

Thank you so much - I'm going to try to make next month's meeting and look forward to meeting you there!

11 minutes ago, gr8ful1 said:

Welcome, reboot! I'm about 1.5 months into what will likely be a 6-month journey for me, as well. This forum is a great source of information and support. So are Dr. Fitzer's monthly support groups. Ask Heather for a list of the support group dates/times, and try to make it out if you can. There is also a 'secret' Facebook group for the support group. You'll get an invite to join that group the first time you attend a support group.

I already have the list and I'm looking forward to trying to make it out to the next one in May. FB group sounds great.. I had heard other surgeons have them but wasn't sure about Dr. Fitzer until now. Based on your stats, it looks like you and I are in roughly the same place in this process... I look forward to seeing your progress!

Ok....the past 3 hours have been a whirlwind! I called insurance this morning and they received everything...said they would request medical records and they normally have a decision within 3 days. Imagine my surprise when Danielle calls and says that they called her and that I had paper to sign and then it would be approved!! She quickly emailed me the form and I signed it and sent it back to her...next thing I know, we are scheduling my pre op with the PA and my surgery!!! A year ago when I started this, I was totally discouraged when I found out I had to wait 12 months...and complete all these different requirements from the insurance....including losing 40 pounds! Every visit, I would see people scheduling their surgery and felt like mine was never going to happen...I go for my pre op April 26 and then my surgery is May 7 at Reston hospital. We at first were aiming for May 15 at Haymarket, but my insurance wouldn’t cover there. Now, the nerves have set it; but the excitement is through the roof! Thank you guys for all the encouragement and motivation!!