Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For some people yes. Telogen effluvium. Has to do with the growth phase the hair is in at the time of surgery. I lose it about 6 months post op with any surgery and I was on top of Protein and Vitamins. It grows back though and much faster if you are up on the Protein and vitamins!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I started my hair loss at 2.5 months out and still going strong at 4 months post op. I lose a handful or more with each hair wash. I try to only wash every 3 days because of this. I started with very thick and very long hair that everyone always complimented and envied. The only noticeable thinning spot however is at my bang area and so I've cut a nice side bang to camouflage this. I can tell that my hair is much much thinner but nobody else can. I am waiting for this shedding to stop. I praying for this shedding to stop! Also, my hair was always healthy soft and shiny. It is brittle and course and dull now. I use products and straighten it so it still looks good but after a shower or before my products are applied? Holy heck, my hair feels like straw.

With that said, I still wouldn't change a thing. It's a small price to pay to be healthy and happy.

Edited by gustavio

I started my hair loss at 2.5 months out and still going strong at 4 months post op. I lose a handful or more with each hair wash. I try to only wash every 3 days because of this. I started with very thick and very long hair that everyone always complimented and envied. The only noticeable thinning spot however is at my bang area and so I've cut a nice side bang to camouflage this. I can tell that my hair is much much thinner but nobody else can. I am waiting for this shedding to stop. I praying for this shedding to stop! Also, my hair was always healthy soft and shiny. It is brittle and course and dull now. I use products and straighten it so it still looks good but after a shower or before my products are applied? Holy heck, my hair feels like straw.

With that said, I still wouldn't change a thing. It's a small price to pay to be healthy and happy.

Same thing happening to me It's really starting to scare me

I figure I'll buy a wig or try my extensions if the Hair loss continues as much as now. I started at 2.5mo and am 3.5mo now. But as someone said, it's a small price to pay. It grows back.

Sent from my SM-G920V using BariatricPal mobile app

Mine fell out from about 6 months to 1 year out. I lost about half my hair.

It's now grown back 3 years later

Mine started at 2 months its horrible i wear wigs and practice low manipulation i wanna cry

BigBodyBombFace

I'm in the same boat, mine started about 3 months after my surgery. My surgery was on 12/30/16 and I have lost TONS of hair! You can definitely see my scalp. It's so scary and depressing. I have been taking all Vitamins and otc stuff for hair which as a pharmacist I know half of them don't work but still to make myself feel better I take them.
I had to buy those hair fibers to spray on my scalp to hide the bald spots.
I still love my sleeve and if I had to go back I would still get the sleeve cause it was the best thing I could have ever done.
I still pray everyday that my hair comes back or stop shedding so much.

I figure I'll buy a wig or try my extensions if the Hair loss continues as much as now. I started at 2.5mo and am 3.5mo now. But as someone said, it's a small price to pay. It grows back.

Same here. I have two wigs picked out. hair grows back. Enjoy something different while it's gone.
:)

=^..^=

I'm losing lots of hair. I have a lot to lose so nobody really notices. I sure notice it. I started losing it at 2.5 months but have been losing it much faster lately at nearly 4 months out. Ive taken all the Vitamins etc. I went through this when I lost lots of weight on the HCG diet years ago. It grows back but dang it's scary!!!

Eight weeks out and I'm in the shower...minding my own business and washing my hair like usual when out comes the biggest clump of hair on my palms. Then another clump. And another. By the fourth clump, the drain was already clogged...and I had the worst breakdown over seeing so much hair on the ground. My poor husband thought I was dying in the shower. Heck, I thought I was dying in the shower!! I never realized how much my hair is a part of my identity...seeing all of that loss was so incredibly scary.
Even scarier is that I'm decent on my Proteins and take all of my supplements religiously.
You're never prepared for the shock of Hair loss.< br>Luckily, I've got a really thick head of hair and faith that everything will grow back in time. This is only temporary...yet, I'm over the ability of shedding more than my corgis!!

I don't know if it's inevitable but I lost a lot of my hair. It was always fine, and the breakage and thinning did bother me a lot but other people said it was barely noticeable. Everyone says this is normal, by which they mean it is common postop. But it is not normal. Hair loss is a sign to be checking out your hormones and thyroid, specially if you'd like for it to grow back!

Embrace your Hair loss it will grow back...take your supplements and Vitamins. To those who feel so vein to cancel your surgery because of your hair, clearly your priorities are in the wrong perspective!!! Do you think cancer patients say I'm not going to take life saving chemo because my hair will come out? I sure didnt! Breast cancer survivor 2 1/2 years.

Sent from my SM-G920V using BariatricPal mobile app