Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why is the band tighter in the morning?

I've recently visited my surgeon after two years. This time, he gave a different theory as to why the band is tighter in the morning.

Maybe they are all theories and no one really knows for sure. What does your surgeon say or what do you think is the reason?

Here's some of what I've heard. #1 is what I was told pre-surgery and #3 is what he told me this time. #2 is something I read on here.

1) When lying down, the Fluid in their body shifts ups and the stomach tissues swell causing the band to feel tighter. Once up and about, the fluid shifts down, the tissues becomes less swollen and the band fits more loosely.

2) Since nothing is going through the band overnight, an almost sticky substance forms over the opening and it takes a while for that to wear down and go through. Drinking a hot beverage in the morning should help break that down and "loosen" that feeling up.

3) The esophageal muscles relax overnight and are not as good at pushing food through the band. As the day wears on, they do their job better.

Does anyone actually know?

Edited by send2steph

I don't know but I can vouch for the morning tightness. One thing I do know is that I don't eat Breakfast now and I'm very happy with that. All those years of trying to make Breakfast the most important meal of the day, blah, blah, blah -- now I just enjoy my tea and eat later, when I'm actually hungry. Those are the rules for myself -- to eat when I'm hungry and not eat if I'm not hungry. The first is harder for me, after all those years of dieting and restriction.

I haven't heard that but for me it's hormonal. I'll be real tight week before and first few days of cycle, doc says it's due to internal bloating and swelling since the band was tighten to restriction

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I doubt that there's an answer to the question, only theories. Whatever it may be, the morning tightness is common. I never asked why because I don't care. Nothing's going to change it. I take synthroid in the morning so that it doesn't interfere with eating (requires an empty stomach, so no food for one hour before or two hours after). It also requires "plenty of Water," as the pharmacist labels the vial. I use warm-hot Water.< /p>

I have just come to accept that Breakfast won't be happening at my house. Unless I make eggs for dinner...

My dr says theory number 1, but I'm not sure it matters why.... it has not changed in 10 years. So be it.