Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New here, procedure set for Jan. 12, 2017!

Hello everyone,
I'm new here and getting ready for an Orbera procedure on January 12. I'm nervous, excited and a bunch of other emotions about this whole thing.
:blink:

I'm also trying to find a good Protein source (the idea of pureeing meat is just gross to me). What Protein shakes or powders have you found to be best? What should I be stocking my kitchen/fridge with? I got a Nutrabullet for an early Christmas present to help me make smoothies to drink/eat. Anyone else have one of these? Just trying to get everything in order before the big day.

Also, one of the things I have been thinking about is what my relationship with food will be during and after this is all over. My family has always been very food-oriented. Not obsessed just we enjoy food. I'm worried that after this, I will no longer love eating. Like it will just become a mundane function that I will get no joy out of. :( Did any of you have those feelings? How did you deal with them?

I'm pre-op...I should have my gastric sleeve surgery date real soon! I'm ready for my relationship with food to end. I have enjoyed eating waaaay to long, I've eaten the best steak, the greatest Mac n cheese, the tastiest Desserts you could imagine. However, as of today, I surrender to it all. It's literally killing me slowly. My health is getting worse, my steps are getting shorter, my social life is non existent because of all the poor food choices I made. After my surgery, I plan to concentrate on keeping the weight off...I'm tired of being FAT...I'm over it!...I'm ready to get this party started.

I'm looking for a good Protein shake as well. No chalky taste. Good luck with the surgery. Enjoy your holiday and this time next year...You will much smaller!

Sent from my SM-G935T using the BariatricPal App

Hi, I am 3 and1/2 years out from my RNY. I have been very successful with my WLS. I went down to 117#'s which low for me. I am 5.4 and I have maintained my WL at 125#'s for 2 and 1/2 years. I would really hate to know how much money I have spent trying to find a good Protein. I like Atkins, or Muscle Milk powdered banana flavor and gramcracker flavored. I took 1/2 scoop of each with 1 cup of Almond milk ( I became Lactose Intolerant) with a 1/2 a banana and 2 or 3 ice cubes blended. Myoplex rich dark chocolate is good also. But my saving grace is GENEPRO unflavored Protein which I have heard that GNC carries it but I order mine online. It is the best I have found. I am a big coffee drinker so I add a scoop to my espresso and BAM 30grams of protein. If I was you I wouldn't buy too much protein at first because so many people have their taste change after surgery. Good Luck! I look forward to following your journey.

Thanks guys. Im really considering the genpro since its unflavored. I tried a muscle milk the other day and almost threw up! The flavor was ok, i think it was the consistency that got me. Its too thick! Felt like snot going down my throat! are all those things thick like that?!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

The GENEPRO isn't thick at all.

Hi everyone, I am new as well and scheduled for January 11, 2017. My concern is the days prior to the procedure. My doctor said I should start the liquid diet one week prior to the procedures, but I do not see anyone else mentioning this? Is this standard?

Benniesaul, I will have to go on a liquids diet too before the procedure. Mine is just for 72 hours before so I'm not sure what you are having done.

Hi everyone, I am new as well and scheduled for January 11, 2017. My concern is the days prior to the procedure. My doctor said I should start the liquid diet one week prior to the procedures, but I do not see anyone else mentioning this? Is this standard?

I am doing a 2 week liver shrink diet for the sleeve. Surgery is January 4th. The last 7 days of pre op diet is only Protein shakes.

Benniesaul, yeah 7 days sounds a little drastic for a balloon but I guess every doctor is different. I know my doc said 72 hours liquid would make sure my stomach will be empty by procedure day. He said he couldn't do it if I had ANY food or liquid in my stomach.

I hope I can handle the three days. Im going to be off work so that will make it a little easier. I don't need to be tempted with all those after holiday goodies

Edited by missmarthak31

Hi everyone! Just a few thoughts now and I will write more later ...

My favorite Protein (by far) is chocolate Organic Fuel. It's not a full Meal Replacement but if it's only a few days and you're taking Vitamins, it should be sufficient. It's not super thick (I can't stand the weird texture of some Protein drinks) - it's more like the consistency of milk. It's also not sickeningly sweet and it does not have an overwhelming Vitamin flavor. It just has a subtle chocolate flavor. And at only 260 calories for 26 grams of protein, you can't beat it. I love it so much that months after having the balloon removed, I still have it almost every day for Breakfast.

If you want more of a full Meal Replacement, Orgain is another good option. Similar texture, just a little more flavor and no aftertaste (unless you get their high protein version - blech!). In that one I actually prefer strawberry or vanilla. Orgain has more Vitamins and minerals than Organic Fuel, but not as much protein, so it's a give and take. But both are organic/natural, which I like.

FWIW I only had to fast for 3 days before insertion - 2 days of full fluids and 1 of clear. I actually fasted a little longer before the removal (it can be more of an issue at that time since food can get stuck on/around the balloon). But I would do whatever your doctor advises.

Other fasting options - (bone) broth, Jello, popsicles, Bariatric Choice liquid (smells like medicine but tastes like Kool-Aid - not bad!), powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury (various drinks and Soups, including an unflavored option, but I have not tried them) and Isopure (a clear protein that I got for post-op, but I couldn't stomach it ... not sure if that's because it was too thick/sweet or if it was because I was queasy ... but some people swear by it). Ensure even has a clear Protein Drink (I have not tried that one, either, but Ensure is pretty popular). I even just drank the broth from my favorite canned Soup - Progresso Chickarina ... it was very soothing. :-)

BTW, if you're fasting, you might want to consider going crazy and getting the regular popsicles and Jello (not the lo-cal versions). They are only like 15-40 calories to begin with ... you'll be at such a tremendous calorie deficit that your body will thank you for the extra "nutrition". Also, ask your doctor if you're allowed to chew while fasting. If not, you may just need to let these options dissolve in your mouth. (Sounds crazy, I know, but chewing activates saliva and digestive juices, which they may not like ... that's why you're not allowed to chew gum the day of the procedure.)

I hope that helps. Best wishes to you all!! :-)

Edited by Wayward Traveler

I had to do 2 weeks preop on Protein drinks and 4 weeks postop on Protein Drinks.

I had to do 2 weeks preop on Protein drinks and 4 weeks postop on Protein Drinks.< /div>
Premier also has a banana shake that is pretty good. It tasted a little sweet to me so it "watered" it down with Fairlife fat free milk, not bad at all. Also try insurenutrition.com you may be able to get them through your insurance. I applied and after 2 weeks they just called to say i was approved and my 1st shipment was on the way. 2 18 pack cases a month, saves me over $50 each month

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App