Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello. Today marks one week since my gastric bypass and I am SO hungry. It's really hard not to cheat (although I have taken a couple bites of soft food) which turned out ok. I want to follow the drs orders.. I'm just so hungry for food. I've talked to a couple of ladies who i did my pre op class with and they say I shouldn't feel like this so early. Did it happen for any of you? And how did you cope. Cause I gotta say, since I did cheat a little and things turned out ok... it maked me think more and more about how I'll probably be ok to eat. Ugh.

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

Honestly it is almost impossible for you to be feeling actual hunger. They cut the nerves and it will take a few months for them to grow back.

That being said there are a few things that mimic the feeling of actual hunger.

1. You may be dehydrated which can cause that sensation that you are hungry. With it you might even feel weak, tired, have headaches, feel dizzy. Any combination of the above.

2. You mayb be experiencing a little bit of reflux. That can happen for the first month or so following bypass but should resolve completely. Again, drinking lots of Water helps with this.

3. you have head hunger. Meaning your stomach actually isn't hungry but you are simply thinking about food or the lack of food. The more you think about it the worse it gets. The best thing you can do is distract yourself. For me head hunger has never gone away. I have to take my mind off of it with other activities like reading, blogging, crocheting, doing chores.....anything that will get me thinking about something else. Unfortunately this has never gone away for me.

Still don't feel much hunger almost 3 months out.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I started aggressively excercising right around the 3rd month post op and thats when my hunger seemed to come back.

Thankfully I can eat just a few bites of something and its gone.

The head hunger sometimes gets the best of me though. I fight it constantly.

I understand what you're talking about. I'm one month out and sometimes I feel incredibly hungry. I KNOW it's not real hunger but it sure feels like it. My suggestion is to drink a serving of Water or broth, and make sure you're taking your PPI. Now that I can take my Vitamins I'll make sure I'm caught up on those because sometimes just the chewing tricks my brain.

I got hungry on post op day 6. I ate some Protein with no sugar and I feel better. I drink all the time. I had a Soup with chicken broth and eggs. I blended well and it was so good and filling. I had the sleeve. I was given so yogurt but it was too sweet because I had a dumping episode after that. Add some Protein in your diet slowly and see if that helps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G750A using the BariatricPal App

Having only recently gotten approval for solid foods, I think I know what you're talking about and allow me to speak to you from one week in the future.

I thought I was hungry when I was on liquids because I couldn't really feel the food going down. On liquids you don't really feel the difference in your stomach/pouch. Now that I'm on solids, I REALLY know the difference.

I'm having to learn how to eat slowly as I can only get two, maybe three bites in before I've gone past full into overstuffed and overstuffed is not at all pleasant.

What I was feeling during the liquid foods phase I think wasn't hunger as much as the need for texture. I just need to bite or chew something that had some density.

It's different for everyone. I'm a week and a half post op and I can definitely feel the fullness. I've been able to do that from the day of my surgery with the ice chips. It really depends on the surgery and each individual.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App