Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 1/2 days post opp, extreme hunger & cravings

post-305406-14822210037487_thumb.jpgI am 4 days post opp, surgery date 12/15/16, im 90% back to normal, i.e doing everything except driving, i dont plan on doing that for another week or so, i have also learned what size sipt to take and have developed a method of patting my chest, (similar to patting a babys back during feeding) when i feel pain w/ my liquids ; However, im extremely hungry & my cravings are through the roof, to the point that its making me argumentative with my loved ones! Im trying hard to stick with the liquid diet because my dr. Is in Tijuana Mexico & my life & success depends on lettin my body heal and follow the week by week meal plan! Im getting depressed, wondering why im reading post that the sleeve "supposedly " remove the part of the stomache that causes hunger.... but i feel like im dying im just going into day 5 & i have all the broths popcicle & Protein Shakes & Water & juice, books to read, work to catch up on aroun the house, but all i see on tv is food commercials i never noticed before, on top of it all , the 8 lbs i lost on the pre opp diet was regained @ the hospital w/ 2 days of IV fluids & natural water retention from trauma of surgery, i know im rambling now, i just needed to vent.... im just wondering y all the successfull sleevers dont report the good bad and ugly, i never thought it was like this, i thought it was a quick fix for a few thousands... bye guys & i love each & every one of you- GN This is my pic 23 hrs post opp

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by Gucci

Hi Gucci, I had a gastric bypass on 13th December so I know it's not exactly the same but I find Protein shakes with (30mg of protein) help or sometimes we can feel hungry when we need to drink more water/fluids or when feeling emotional???? Just my thoughts...Good luck with it & all the best

Sent from iPad in the UK

attachicon.gif ImageUploadedByBariatricPal1482221003.157569.jpgI am 4 days post opp, surgery date 12/15/16, im 90% back to normal, i.e doing everything except driving, i dont plan on doing that for another week or so, i have also learned what size sipt to take and have developed a method of patting my chest, (similar to patting a babys back during feeding) when i feel pain w/ my liquids ; However, im extremely hungry & my cravings are through the roof, to the point that its making me argumentative with my loved ones! Im trying hard to stick with the liquid diet because my dr. Is in Tijuana Mexico & my life & success depends on lettin my body heal and follow the week by week meal plan! Im getting depressed, wondering why im reading post that the sleeve "supposedly " remove the part of the stomache that causes hunger.... but i feel like im dying im just going into day 5 & i have all the broths popcicle & Protein shakes & Water & juice, books to read, work to catch up on aroun the house, but all i see on tv is food commercials i never noticed before, on top of it all , the 8 lbs i lost on the pre opp diet was regained @ the hospital w/ 2 days of IV fluids & natural Water retention from trauma of surgery, i know im rambling now, i just needed to vent.... im just wondering y all the successfull sleevers dont report the good bad and ugly, i never thought it was like this, i thought it was a quick fix for a few thousands... bye guys & i love each & every one of you- GN This is my pic 23 hrs post opp

I know exactly what you're feeling. I was sleeved 12/12/16 and I have been craving food like crazy. I'm sick of broth, Jello, etc... I want to eat, it doesn't even have to be something bad. I'll take an orange, apple, or a salad. My biggest craving is cheese. I would seriously pay for a bite of cheddar cheese. I wish I had some advice to give. I just wanted to let you know I totally understand. If you figure out any advise please share!

I had DS surgery on the 14th and I know how you feel. I never thought this would be a quick fix either, but having so much downtime has me watching TV, reading Facebook and Pinterest and I never knew how much they all involve "food". I actually deleted my Pinterest app a couple days ago. I simply cannot see all these wonderful things I want to be cooking AND eating. I am craving chicken and beef so bad. I feel larger and more bloated than when I had surgery (I haven't been on the scale yet). I know that "this shall too pass", but it has me cranky and emotional and I am taking it out on those who love me :(

Hi i had my surgery on 16th and i am still hospitalized nauseous... i am not even allowed to drink a sip of Water... you are lucky you are back on normal daily tasks. Be strong its the brain which needs rewiring the cravings is just the bad habits we had before... i am even craving for a sip of Water

Hi i had my surgery on 16th and i am still hospitalized nauseous... i am not even allowed to drink a sip of Water... you are lucky you are back on normal daily tasks. Be strong its the brain which needs rewiring the cravings is just the bad habits we had before... i am even craving for a sip of Water

Just wait until you get past 4 days post op then you will understand what we are saying ???? when I was in the hospital I was nauseated and the thought of food repulsed me. Around day 4 that all changed.

I am 3 weeks post op and I also notice all the food commercials, the food in television shows and movies, all over my FB feed, etc much more now. However, I didn't feel any actual HUNGER until probably 12 days post-op. I can almost guarantee you what you are feeling is head-hunger. I just told my husband last night that 99% of the recovery from this surgery is mental and I have been feeling "hangry" the last several days. And I use that loosely, because it's not really hunger, it's just missing food...and it's the reason I had this surgery and need to stick to the program or it will all be for nothing. I am sure you didn't REALLY think this was a "quick fix?!" You made a choice to change your anatomy and you were given a tool to help you for the rest of your life. Now is the time to train yourself to embrace this tool.

Just remember - you can NOT give into any temptation. We are given explicit instructions and diet progressions for a reason...not following them could literally result in death so please do what I do and remind yourself that the coming weeks are temporary and it WILL get better.

On the 4th or 5th day post-op is when I started seeing my weight drop - we all gain weight in the hospital. And by two weeks post-op I was down 20#. It will get better...I promise. But be ready for it to be more challenging first.

When you feel this type of hunger so soon out of surgery, I highly suspect it is acid. That's how it was for me the first week after surgery. My stomach would growl and I would feel intense hunger. I would have to drink something (even during the middle of the night), to get it to calm down. I was taking my daily PPI, which is extremely important; However, it wasn't helping. I finally called my surgeon and she called me in a prescription for liquid Carafate, which coated my stomach. I took it 4X a day for 2 weeks and it helped tremendously. I am now 7 weeks post-op. I still get hunger and I eat something about every 3 hours but it's very tolerable. My body needs nutrition and it's letting me I need to eat. Just stick with your program and you will get through these trials and tribulations. Once you are able to add some food, you will start to feel better. The cravings may still be there because losing 80% of your stomach doesn't change how good a chocolate chip cookie smells and tastes, but your motivation will be high and you will make it. Over time, you will break the habit.

Me too, I was done one week ago. The past weekend , i was starving. Painful hunger pains that I was not expecting. Yesterday returned to work and with being busy all day, I barely noticed it. Hoping it was head hunger!

attachicon.gif ImageUploadedByBariatricPal1482221003.157569.jpgI am 4 days post opp, surgery date 12/15/16, im 90% back to normal, i.e doing everything except driving, i dont plan on doing that for another week or so, i have also learned what size sipt to take and have developed a method of patting my chest, (similar to patting a babys back during feeding) when i feel pain w/ my liquids ; However, im extremely hungry & my cravings are through the roof, to the point that its making me argumentative with my loved ones! Im trying hard to stick with the liquid diet because my dr. Is in Tijuana Mexico & my life & success depends on lettin my body heal and follow the week by week meal plan! Im getting depressed, wondering why im reading post that the sleeve "supposedly " remove the part of the stomache that causes hunger.... but i feel like im dying im just going into day 5 & i have all the broths popcicle & Protein shakes & Water & juice, books to read, work to catch up on aroun the house, but all i see on tv is food commercials i never noticed before, on top of it all , the 8 lbs i lost on the pre opp diet was regained @ the hospital w/ 2 days of IV fluids & natural Water retention from trauma of surgery, i know im rambling now, i just needed to vent.... im just wondering y all the successfull sleevers dont report the good bad and ugly, i never thought it was like this, i thought it was a quick fix for a few thousands... bye guys & i love each & every one of you- GN This is my pic 23 hrs post opp

Hey Gucci!

I totally understand where you're at. I just had my gastric sleeve surgery on December 14th, and believe me it has been quite an adjustment.

Definitely a huge mental adjustment because I now recognize just how much of my day was spent eating food, thinking about food, talking about food, and looking at food everywhere! Without being able to eat throughout the day, I now have a ton of free time on my hands.

So I try hard to keep busy, with work and hobbies.

I initially tried to avoid seeing so many damn food commercials on TV but a brother gotta have his ESPN (Go Raiders!), and fast food ads absolutely dominate all the sports channels (on TV & radio too), which I hadn't really noticed before. I've even began to notice how candy and soda commercials dominate the "Black" channels like BET, TVOne, etc.

I've definitely been tiring of all this damn chicken broth and sugar free Jello.

Here's a few small steps I've taken to cope with situation and make myself feel better.

First, I add different seasonings to my broth for a change in flavor.

Yesterday, I added a little dried powered shrimp, and some onion powder. It was pretty good.

Secondly, I don't drink the same flavor Protein shake all the time. Before surgery I went to costco and purchased 3 boxes of Premier Protein Shakes, one box chocolate, one vanilla, and one strawberry. They taste pretty good and I alternate between the the flavors.

Thirdly, whenever I get super bummed out about being hungry, and not being able to eat something delicious from my past, I can definitely feel myself getting more and more angry, and also depressed, because depression is anger directed inward.

However, my new solution for this is, I take my big ass to the mall and I go look at all the awesome clothes I will be able to wear in the future. I'm so big that I haven't shopped in the mall for clothes since like early junior high school, but everyday I'm losing more and more of this damn weight and nothing short of an act of God, is going to stop me from achieving my goals, of someday clothes shopping in malls, and living my life to the fullest as a normal sized person.

Also, please remember that all the food you maybe missing now will still be there when your stomach eventually heals and you can finally have a taste of damn near everything you've been missing without going overboard and gaining a ton of weight back.

At my highest weight I was 660 lbs, and after two years of eating very low carb and yoyoing like crazy, I worked to get my weight down to 499 lbs last July, when I started this whole gastric sleeve surgery process. The day of surgery, December 14th my weight was down to 450 lbs. As of this morning I'm down to 436 lbs and I feel better about myself, knowing I'm on my way to where I want to be.

Hang in there Gucci, I'm sure things will get better, because I KNOW we can ALL do this!

Don't look back, turn the page, and let your next chapter begin!

I'll be 4 days post op on Christmas day and I pray I'm 90% back to normal...

I had my surgery on 12/12 and I was in the hospital two days. I do know walking helps although it don't feel like it at the time it does. Drinking is hard but I kept sipping because I didn't want to be dehydrated. It's alot better now I'm moving around more and can drink the Protein shakes although I have to Mixx then with milk instead of Water

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using the BariatricPal App