Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gallbladder can't be taken out during surgery?

My surgeon only takes out the gallbladder if there are gallstones present. I was glad when we finally got the results of my abdominal ultrasound & it showed I did have gallstones. It took three months & multiple calls to get the report. I had no symptoms but my gallbladder was so enlarged & adhered to the surrounding tissues that it took longer to get it out than it did to do the sleeve.

But my insurance does routinely cover gallbaldder removal at the time of WLS whether or not it is symptomatic.

Though I've had attacks before and had small stones at the time of surgery, my surgeon did not remove my gallbladder. Instead, I'm on Ursidol for the first year.

Before surgery I had xanthelasma, cholesterol deposits around my eyes. Those are almost completely cleared up. So I believe the cholesterol that causes gallstones is also clearing up.

Sent from my SM-G925V using the BariatricPal App

Though I've had attacks before and had small stones at the time of surgery, my surgeon did not remove my gallbladder. Instead, I'm on Ursidol for the first year.

Before surgery I had xanthelasma, cholesterol deposits around my eyes. Those are almost completely cleared up. So I believe the cholesterol that causes gallstones is also clearing up.

What is ursidol? Is it to help with gallstones?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

My hubby had his failed revision from his Lap -Band to a RNY and the plan was to remove his gallbladder at the same time They did take out his band and his gallbladder at the same time!! 3 years later he finally had his Sleeve done. So I wonder why someone who was already having surgery and they know there is a problem with his gallbladder why they wouldn't do it at the same time.

Yes. It prevents them and dissolves small ones for people at risk.

Yes. It prevents them and dissolves small ones for people at risk.

Hmm I'm going to look into that, thanks for that information!

It's a financial issue.

The surgeon gets 100% of the fee schedule rate for the sleeve surgery.

Any other procedure done during the same operating session, that is even vaguely related, he gets 50% of the fee schedule rate. If there is a third procedure done during the same session, for some insurances, he gets 25% of the fee schedule rate.

Schedule them on different days, he gets full fee. It's called the Multiple Procedure Payment Reduction rule.

Getting around the "vaguely related" premise would mean having a sleeve done and having a broken leg set during the same operating session, for example.

It's a financial issue.

The surgeon gets 100% of the fee schedule rate for the sleeve surgery.

Any other procedure done during the same operating session, that is even vaguely related, he gets 50% of the fee schedule rate. If there is a third procedure done during the same session, for some insurances, he gets 25% of the fee schedule rate.

Schedule them on different days, he gets full fee. It's called the Multiple Procedure Payment Reduction rule.

Getting around the "vaguely related" premise would mean having a sleeve done and having a broken leg set during the same operating session, for example.

Oh okay that makes sense, it's all about the money. Well that sucks, I see the surgeon beginning January, so hopefully I can get him to take my gallbladder out.

I had the sleeve surgery on 7/7. Had 3 pretty easy weeks and then became really, really sick. Unable to drink or eat, throwing up bile constantly. I went back to my surgeon a few times and went to the ER twice. CT scan did not show an issue. An ultra sound finally showed a bad gall bladder. They had done an ultra sound before surgery and did not see any issues. Gall bladder out through open surgery on 8/20. Recovery was more painful than the sleeve surgery but boy was I glad not to be sick anymore.

My surgeon routinely repairs hernias and removes gallbladders during WLS. If yours doesn't and your insurance accepts the pre op requirements you can consider changing surgeons. I did this the day of my last pre op class.

Flares of gallbladder disease are very common when you are losing weight even if you don't have WLS.

My surgeon routinely repairs hernias and removes gallbladders during WLS. If yours doesn't and your insurance accepts the pre op requirements you can consider changing surgeons. I did this the day of my last pre op class.

I wish I could, but I have to get surgery at a center of excellence and the next closest one to me is over 500 miles away:/

I told my pa I was already diagnosed with gallstones and she told me the surgeon doesn't typically take them out at the same time, which I find odd. I plan on asking him personally, but I wonder if anyone has insight as to why this would be?

That's just crazy. I just had another gall bladder attack a month ago and after reading others say what you were told, I thought I was going to have a fight on my hands. I brought them my ultra sound I had last week, and surprisingly, that was the first thing out of their mouths--

'...and we'll get rid of that bad gallbladder of yours.'

Imagine that, no fight. Hmmm.

I'd keep pressing on them about this issue, especially if you already have gallstones since major weight loss is only going to most likely give you more gall stones.

Yeah I'm going to talk to my surgeon about it, I'm just worried he won't because I just found out I have a hiatial hernia then getting DS ( that's already 2 to 3 hours in surgery alone) and to do the gallbladder would extend that. I'm guessing they don't want me under for that amount of time, but we'll see what he says.

Gallbladder surg was a piece of cake for me.... had surg on a friday and was back at work on monday. I had had attacks for months before and they kept getting worse and worse... When my dr got in there... He found 4 stones the same size and shape as bouillon cubes.... he is also a close personal friend and said... he's been removing them for 40 years and never has he ever seen perfectly square stones...lol.... leave it to me to be different .....