Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Awaken by your own cold body

Has anyone ever been awaken in the middle of your sleep by your shivering body. It felt like my insides were frozen. Yet once i woke up it did not take much to warm back up. I was under the covers so that was not the problem. If i had to describe it i would say that i had died and then came back to life when i woke. A little dramatic i know but thats how it feels. I will be talking to the doctor about it just wondering if anyone has had experience with this. Ds or other all thoughts welcomed. Had surgery dec 5

Sent from my SM-G920P using the BariatricPal App

do you have a fever?

low blood sugar? anemia since you lost blood during surgery? could be many things take care

How weird! This exact thing happened to my hubby on saturday night. He was literally chattering.....

Then again, it was -10 degrees here saturday night.

I have been freezing since a few weeks out of surgery. I'm ok when I am moving but as soon as I sit still for a while or lay down it is like my thermostat shuts off. I assume it is a metabolism thing - because I still have plenty to lose, so its not an insulation thing!!

I have been constantly cold since my surgery in July. We are in summer here in Australia and I am still cold. When the others are sitting in front of a fan to cool off I am still wrapped in pullovers to keep warm. The only time I seem to be warm is after I eat a hot meal or in the shower/bath.

I read somewhere that brown fat is responsible for helping us feel warm and that people with a lot of white fat ( normal overweight type fat) have less brown fat than normal. It seems that white fat suppresses brown fat. It takes time to regrow brown fat and the best stimulus aside from getting rid of the white fat that is suppressing it is to be cold. Not something I enjoy but I am tolerating it as much as I can in the hopes it will work.

Omg! I had the same problem for a week after my surgery. I always sleep with my ac on and a thick blanket. This time i kept it on and I had to turn on my heating blanket. i could not get warm for the life of me. It passed and now I am fine. But so strange.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm always cold now. I'm in south Florida too. I adjusted my a/c to a higher temp. But I had to put an extra blanket on last night.

Sent from my SM-N910T using the BariatricPal App

I'm in south Florida also almost 3 weeks out and cold at night I've been wearing flannel pjs sox and a heavy blanket on bed but my first week out I was cold day and night .

Wow maybe it is a surgery thing i have checked my suger levels and they have been fine. This morning it did not fully happen to me like in the passed but i still felt cold so i revert back to an old habit presurgery i tucked my hands under my shirt to my belly to try to warm up and usually i can but this time it felt different. I placed my hands on my belly and only felt cold. I moved my hands around but it all felt cold. I slid my hands between my thighs (no judgement please) and that area was warm go figure. I will see the surgeon on the 22nd so ill ask about it if he gives me a straight answer, since he has a dry sence of humor, i will let yall know.

Sent from my SM-G920P using the BariatricPal App

We live in an old cold house. We can literally feel the air moving through our bedroom on a windy night. I have always been very warm, even when I was skinny in high school. Post surgery, I have woken up many a night, freezing. I have taken to wearing a knit cap from time to time. It protects my solar panel, since all it's natural covering vanished years ago. That helps quite a bit, although Mrs LittleBill refers to me as Ebenezer.

Same here! I often don't use heat in the winter and in the summer we keep our apt at 64° and still use a fan while sleeping. At work I have 3 fans!

But ever since the surgery, I can't get warm easily. Grant it we are in a bone chilling freeze right now, but I hope this evens out a bit. Loving the not sweating though!

I am going to have to but an electric blanket and throw I guess.

11/11/16: HW 380

11/28/16: Duodenal Switch Surgery

11/28/16: SW 374 lbs

12/14/16: CW 350 lbs

We are in a deep freeze as well. I find myself sitting at my desk at work with my coat on. My wife bought me an electric throw on black Friday and I use it every night when I sit in my recliner.

I feel like I will never be warm again.

I'm sitting here in jeans, socks, and two shirts - one flannel - and shaking. I get so cold my back seizes up and goes into spasm. I broke down and bought an electric mattress pad. It really helps. Too bad I can't stay in bed all day.